Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 03:35   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
mono to cat and back to Mono?

Im not trying to start the old discussion but I would love to know if anybody went from a mono hull to a Catamaran and back to a mono hull
And why of course
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 04:03   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: mono to cat and back to Mono?

I’ve been back and forth. Monos, cat, mono and then cat. LOL

I didn’t end up going back and forth by careful strategy, just that the right boat was around at the time and presented itself.

The one thing in my opinion is that you need a huge and heavy monohull to get the comfort of the cat. The waterline and displacement of a mono can have it nearly as comfortable as a catamaran, though the rolling is definitely a factor no matter what.

I do like the lower windage of monohulls, easier time finding and using shoreside facilities.

But ultimately, the catamaran was our choice due to no rolling, greater speed and in my personal case, the ability to have it set up exactly how we want it. My most recent cat is custom.

I’ll add, it was NOT an easy decision. You can, of course buy a lot of waterline length in a monohull for the price of a cat so some really nice monos do start to come into play. And the ability to carry whatever you want without always worrying about the weight of everything is nice on a mono. Still went cat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 12:45   #3

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: mono to cat and back to Mono?

I also went to a cat from an older 50 ft ketch and spent 5 years in the Caribbean.
It was almost the perfect boat for that. The downside for me was an inability to point. This of course would have not been a problem if I had purchased a daggerboard cat. Also I had time constraints and could not always wait for ideal weather conditions. The idea of motor sailing to get upwind has never set well with me.
I had come to more of a cruising lifestyle out of a long racing background sometimes up to 30 regattas a season including round the buoys and offshore.
Had many race boats last being a J-35 that we raced one design.
However never regretted buying a cat for the purpose intended.
I sold the cat last year and now have gone back to a monohull. Again this boat goes upwind like a beast and loves the ocean. Plan on at least one more Bermuda race before I die or stroke. Also here in the Northeast much easier to find a birth and a yard that can actually pull the boat. Beam was a problem here in Connecticut with few wells that could accommodate a 25 ft. beam.
Would I ever go back to a cat....hell yes but need to see how much I enjoy cruising a monohull. Time will tell.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote