Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2005, 13:10   #1

Question Mono or Cat

MY wife and I have currently narrored our search down to two boats we'd like to buy to retire on and leave for better times. We currently live in Houston Tx. I know this question could open a can of worms but an looking for current cruisers opions. Which would be the better boat in the long run Mono or cat. I understand that true live aboard cruises really are cruising very little and sitting on the hook 90% of the time. Wouldn't the cat be the better choise, less rolly while in the harbor or tied off. Draws less water so shorted ding rides. Plus your not cruising at a 30 degress angle. We'er currently looking at a 34' cat and a 51 foot mono hulled boat.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 15:25   #2

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
if you search back in the old posts you will find all the answers to your questions jt
Old 24-05-2005, 21:06   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Cat v. Mono

While I agree with captjohn that this topic has been amply discussed before, there is one comment I would like to make: a 34' catamaran is NOT equivalent to a 51' monohull in terms of space or any other criteria. To approximate the living area of a 51' mono, you should be looking in the 40' range for a cat. I would also highly recommend that whichever configuration you choose, you should charter several models before you plunk down your hard-earned $$.

Just my 2 cents.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 16:35   #4

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
What sort of boats have you sailed before? Which did you prefer? Have you tried boats that are similiar to the ones you are thinking of buying? This I know does not really answer your questions. We each prefer different boats for our own reasons, I expect you will be no different.
Every boat has its plusses and minuses. Have an idea about which things you prefer before you buy, is always a good idea.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 02:21   #5

My wife is set on a cat likes the level ride and doesn't like feeling like shes crawling down into a cave even time. I to perfer the CAT's but don't much like the prices on them but love the level ride and shallow draft. We've sailed both up to the 35'range
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 13:55   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Well it sounds like you both know what you prefer to sail.. If a person does not rush in the hunting for a boat, you can often find the one you want. Of course, as well know, there are lots of trade offs in boats.
Happy Hunting
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:39   #7

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Lane, you fall into a very large group: folks who hope to go cruising and who are trying to pick the right boat for them, but who haven't yet faced (or at least shared with us) your specific cruising plans. If like most North Americans you plan to visit the Caribbean for a few years (and then, again like most NA sailors, sell the boat and buy an RV or get into some other endeavor), either choice will suit you well.

If however you hope to do some long-term, long distance cruising - or at least you'd like to leave that option open for future consideration, neither of the boats you mention would be my recommendation. The 35' cat is too small for some of the jobs that need to be done (e.g. it can easily do the Milk Run down to NZ and Oz...but what about getting back? it can sail TO Hawaii but would not be suitable for returning) and the 51' mono is probably too big for your use.

Firm up your plans and then repost your query.

Jac
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:53   #8

>>The 35' cat is too small for some of the jobs...<<

Jac, can you expalin more? Seems like there are a lot a cruisers with boats like Privilege 37 or PDQ36. Do you think such boats are not qualified for long term cruisuing?

Thanks,
Yona
yona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 13:47   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
35' (cat) seems a bit small for world cruseing(for me) but many seem to be doing it just fine, these folks started out from S. Florida & are now in OZ

Check out www.bumfuzzle.com log
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:02   #10

Bumfuzzle has been talked to death here, so for another perspective look at...

http://mainsailing.com/

Around the world in a Prout 33.

And get the book also. It's a decent read and a good contrast to Bumfuzzle.

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote