Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2015, 19:53   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Modern or traditional

I was wondering if your tastes in boats matches your taste in homes. Do you live in a traditional home and own a traditional boat, or is modern more your taste in both. Do you have complete opposite tastes in both?

My home in the states is very traditional, my home in dubai more modern. My tastes in boats is both and adding to my confusion. So which is it for you?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 21:02   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Modern or traditional

My taste for owning a boat precludes me from affording a modern home. How does this fit in the demographic profile?

Matt

Old 27-02-2015, 22:05   #3

Re: Modern or traditional

I had thought of that but couldn't quite figure how to work it in to my question

Old 27-02-2015, 22:13   #4

Matt,
Ok so say you could own a home would it be of the same style as your boat?

Old 28-02-2015, 00:54   #5

Modern or traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Matt,
Ok so say you could own a home would it be of the same style as your boat?

Hmmmm, let's see... 6' ceilings, two bedrooms, a background smell of diesel....? Nah, I reckon I might choose something different.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But seriously though, you ask an interesting question, not least because I have never really worried about the vintage of our house, which is why your question caught my eye.

I have only cared about the location. Of course location tends to determine vintage, at least where we have lived, but so far, since we married we have owned one house from 1910, one from1950, one from 1860 and now this one is from 1920. If this house had been brand new off the plans we probably still would have bought it simply because of where it was, and strangely it probably would not have changed the cost much, since land value is about 90% of the price around here.

But I may be unusual in that I currently drive a 30 year old ute worth about three days pay to the office, and our main cars are old volvos, each 15 years old and both worth a fortnights pay at best. So in other words we are pragmatic about the age of things we own and choose them based on their suitability to a task. Likewise we own a 35 year old boat that cost less than 4 months of our combined income because we liked it, it suited the task (it floats) and I knew I would enjoy working on it. (Which is just as well really!)

I should shut up now and hear what others think, I am curious to know if others feel the same way about material things or if I am as weird as I sometimes suspect.

Matt

P.S. I suspect I didn't answer your question though... Maybe you are asking more of an interior design question.... To me a house is just a shell you decorate to suit your tastes, so it really does not matter what the age. Not so much a boat, but I've not yet got to the interior decoration bit so I can't comment, except to say I love warm old wooden interiors as long as they are not too dark, whereas we tend to decorate our houses in a slightly Spartan airy fashion, not sure if that is modern or not.

Old 28-02-2015, 03:46   #6

Matt,
You are absolutely right about function being paramount. When I chose my house in Louisiana it was based on function as well as style. It had a nice big kitchen that could accommodate a family of five as well as a space that the kids could have that was all their own. Choosing my house (apartment) in Dubai was all about location, then space and last thing on the list was style.

We have yet to buy a boat, but I am sure the first priority is going to be safety, function, price then style. I am a sucker for a herreshoff but it doesn't make the cut in our equation. So I like traditional lines, but modern amenities. I swing back and forth between two very different designs as I did in home styles. That is where the question came from

Old 28-02-2015, 04:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Modern or traditional

This is where my heart lies...

But... reality is a steel mono and an apt in Europe.. occasionally a sofa

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 04:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This is where my heart lies...

I always wanted to live in a tree house... but that's way better than anything I dreamed of.

Matt
Old 28-02-2015, 04:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Everything I buy is used and as low maintenance as possible. If used modern is lower maintenance than old traditional that's what I will have.

I have only had one new car in my whole life. Wife #1 got it in the divorce...

The other requirement is functional. I am beyond having gardens that make me a slave to them, houses that make me a slave to them, etc... I have no one left to impress - LOL...

A bedroom for each person living there and a smallish office/mancave. Garage a plus. Make that a big plus. No make that a requirement.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 05:03   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
I was wondering if your tastes in boats matches your taste in homes. Do you live in a traditional home and own a traditional boat, or is modern more your taste in both. Do you have complete opposite tastes in both?
Taste? ME? No-one has ever suggested that I had any.

But I have to admit, your question made me think.

I live in a very old house, that I've been "fixing up" for most of my life. I'm far from finished.

I have a very old boat, that I've been "fixing up" for two years now, and the to-do list hasn't gotten any shorter.

The only anomaly was my last boat, a shiny Euro-style Clorox-bottle design which I bought brand new. I used it for 10 years, did only a little customizing, and loved every minute of it.

I'll leave it to someone else to figure out what my tastes are, if any.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 05:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd say put style at or very close to the top of your list for a boat. In my opinion, you need to really like the way the boat looks and "feels" as you will spend so much time in such a small space, make that small space very appealing to your tastes. I think it's important to "love" the way your boats looks and feels to YOU.

Normally as an Aviator type, I like technology and Modern "stuff", but I found out in my searching for a boat that I liked the traditional, old style "teak cave" over the Modern Formica, Ikea look. To me the real wood, looks warm, inviting and upscale.

I've always in the past bought everything new, my idea was buy a quality, new automobile etc., and with what I consider superior maintenance skills, I'd keep it in very top condition and that works, but depreciation eats you up and you waste a lot of money. I've decided in the last ten to fifteen years or so, that is foolish, makes more sense to buy used, then go through the car, airplane, boat, whatever with a fine tooth comb servicing, repairing or replacing whatever in necessary, customizing where desired to make it exactly what you want. That way I end up with exactly what I want, and truthfully I've found them to be more reliable than most other people newer vehicles, as they usually fix things as they break as opposed to preventative maintenance. Plus it's customized with the exact equipment I wanted.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 06:15   #12

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Lemme see, the boat was built in 1902, the house in France dates from 1733, the one in Saint Augustine from 1923, and the one in Palatka from 1909, so I guess you could call us "Faux Traditional". I say "Faux" because all of the above have dual-zone A/C.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote