Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2023, 11:19   #1

Boat: Endeavour 32
Mister Vee windvanes

Is this the right forum?

What’s the skinny on these? The price and bulk of the hardware are very enticing.

https://windvaneselfsteering.com/
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 02:41   #2

Re: Mister Vee windvanes

No one?
Old 19-03-2023, 04:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Just from browsing the site, the hardware looks pretty light-duty, given the forces an auxiliary-rudder type windvane sees. I'm not sure the place to save weight is in steering hardware, given that the entire boat has to be turned by that rudder, and the mounting hardware has to transfer the load to the boat.
Old 19-03-2023, 06:42   #4

Boat: CA 34

I have had some experience with the Mister Vee self-steering gear and while it appears to be lightly constructed it's actually quite bombproof.

As it happens, it is not an auxiliary-rudder system but a servo-pendulum self-steerinthat that was inspired by the Walt Murray self-steering website.

I'd compare the Mister Vee gears to the tried and true Navik self-steering and will work well with any boat in the niche the Navik did/does.

The upside down wind vane is a huge improvement over what anyone else is using. Factor in the cost and performance savings and it just may be the best deal around.

The only downside I see to the Mr Vee gears is their production schedule which means you have order within a certain time window instead of just buying one.

Anyway, all in all, a very good gear.
Old 19-03-2023, 08:06   #5

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Just from browsing the site, the hardware looks pretty light-duty, given the forces an auxiliary-rudder type windvane sees. I'm not sure the place to save weight is in steering hardware, given that the entire boat has to be turned by that rudder, and the mounting hardware has to transfer the load to the boat.
It's a servo pendulum, not an auxiliary rudder which does put more stress on the transom mounting.
A servo pendulum only needs to turn the boats main rudder so the maximum strength it takes to turn the wheel or tiller.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 08:47   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I agree fully. It doesn’t help that the website is very generic with no detailed drawings or photos. It seems as though the linkage or pinion gears are encased with no indication of what is hidden from view. That can be a blessing or a curse. This windvane may be a leap forward or not. Judging from the lack of detail when marketing the unit it would make me leery as opposed to selling me on the design and engineering.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 04:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoItGoes View Post
I have had some experience with the Mister Vee self-steering gear and while it appears to be lightly constructed it's actually quite bombproof.

As it happens, it is not an auxiliary-rudder system but a servo-pendulum self-steerinthat that was inspired by the Walt Murray self-steering website.

I'd compare the Mister Vee gears to the tried and true Navik self-steering and will work well with any boat in the niche the Navik did/does.

The upside down wind vane is a huge improvement over what anyone else is using. Factor in the cost and performance savings and it just may be the best deal around.

The only downside I see to the Mr Vee gears is their production schedule which means you have order within a certain time window instead of just buying one.

Anyway, all in all, a very good gear.
This is good to know. In what way is the vee better? Does it get better response, or is it less vulnerable? It seems like it's kind of low down and might be shadowed easily.
Old 21-03-2023, 20:18   #8

Boat: Island Packet 29

Website looks sketchy and generic. Id stick with one of the tried and true.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 00:48   #9

Boat: no boat any more

nearly bought it in 2018 for our Elan 410, but production schedule meant a leadtime of >6 months.
It looks lightly built but apart from brutalizing these gears with collisions they are plenty strong for "ordinary" use.
We had an Atoms gear - also quite "fragile" looking - rtw us twice, no breakage.

Mr. Vee used to have a stainless-gears option, but I don't see it any more on the site.
Old 22-03-2023, 05:49   #10

Thanks for the comments from the users of them or similar.
My boat has a small transom, so a vane with a small footprint is more desirable.
Old 22-03-2023, 06:04   #11

Boat: no boat any more

another thought regarding the perceived fragility:
with Mr Vee's price & weight carrying two spares would still be cheaper & lighter than any one competitor.
(btw: the Windpilot Pacific that served us very well on our last voyage has an M6 thread on the rod connecting windvane & servo pendulum, & this proved sufficiently strong!
Old 22-03-2023, 06:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
another thought regarding the perceived fragility:
with Mr Vee's price & weight carrying two spares would still be cheaper & lighter than any one competitor.
(btw: the Windpilot Pacific that served us very well on our last voyage has an M6 thread on the rod connecting windvane & servo pendulum, & this proved sufficiently strong!
Understood, being servo-pendulum, with only the wheel/cable/rudder friction to overcome. It really doesn’t need to be a tank.
It’s my understanding these are just for small course corrections after balancing the sail set.
Old 22-03-2023, 21:52   #13

Boat: Phantom 32 fin keel and skeg sloop

The website makes only passing reference to wheel steering. I would guess that the extra friction to overcome, detracts from perfomance. Also, unlike the brilliant Navik, their is no trimtab on the servo blade, again lessening efficiency. For under 30 ft with a tiller, looks good.
bodgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windvane