Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2023, 11:19   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Endeavour 32
Posts: 99
Mister Vee windvanes

Is this the right forum?

Whatís the skinny on these? The price and bulk of the hardware are very enticing.

https://windvaneselfsteering.com/
SY Harmony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 02:41   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Endeavour 32
Posts: 99
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

No one?
SY Harmony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 04:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Little Compton, RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 2,619
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Just from browsing the site, the hardware looks pretty light-duty, given the forces an auxiliary-rudder type windvane sees. I'm not sure the place to save weight is in steering hardware, given that the entire boat has to be turned by that rudder, and the mounting hardware has to transfer the load to the boat.
__________________
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 06:42   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Where the boat is (currently Caribbean)
Boat: CA 34
Posts: 35
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

I have had some experience with the Mister Vee self-steering gear and while it appears to be lightly constructed it's actually quite bombproof.


As it happens, it is not an auxiliary-rudder system but a servo-pendulum self-steerinthat that was inspired by the Walt Murray self-steering website.


I'd compare the Mister Vee gears to the tried and true Navik self-steering and will work well with any boat in the niche the Navik did/does.


The upside down wind vane is a huge improvement over what anyone else is using. Factor in the cost and performance savings and it just may be the best deal around.



The only downside I see to the Mr Vee gears is their production schedule which means you have order within a certain time window instead of just buying one.


Anyway, all in all, a very good gear.
__________________
Bob
https://boatbits.blogspot.com/
SoItGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 08:06   #5
Registered User
 
Windpilot's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cailifornia
Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Posts: 111
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Just from browsing the site, the hardware looks pretty light-duty, given the forces an auxiliary-rudder type windvane sees. I'm not sure the place to save weight is in steering hardware, given that the entire boat has to be turned by that rudder, and the mounting hardware has to transfer the load to the boat.
It's a servo pendulum, not an auxiliary rudder which does put more stress on the transom mounting.
A servo pendulum only needs to turn the boats main rudder so the maximum strength it takes to turn the wheel or tiller.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 08:47   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Orion Jim's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Noank, Ct. USA
Boat: Cape Dory 31
Posts: 2,997
Images: 8
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Just from browsing the site, the hardware looks pretty light-duty, given the forces an auxiliary-rudder type windvane sees. I'm not sure the place to save weight is in steering hardware, given that the entire boat has to be turned by that rudder, and the mounting hardware has to transfer the load to the boat.
I agree fully. It doesn’t help that the website is very generic with no detailed drawings or photos. It seems as though the linkage or pinion gears are encased with no indication of what is hidden from view. That can be a blessing or a curse. This windvane may be a leap forward or not. Judging from the lack of detail when marketing the unit it would make me leery as opposed to selling me on the design and engineering.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 04:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Little Compton, RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 2,619
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoItGoes View Post
I have had some experience with the Mister Vee self-steering gear and while it appears to be lightly constructed it's actually quite bombproof.


As it happens, it is not an auxiliary-rudder system but a servo-pendulum self-steerinthat that was inspired by the Walt Murray self-steering website.


I'd compare the Mister Vee gears to the tried and true Navik self-steering and will work well with any boat in the niche the Navik did/does.


The upside down wind vane is a huge improvement over what anyone else is using. Factor in the cost and performance savings and it just may be the best deal around.



The only downside I see to the Mr Vee gears is their production schedule which means you have order within a certain time window instead of just buying one.


Anyway, all in all, a very good gear.
This is good to know. In what way is the vee better? Does it get better response, or is it less vulnerable? It seems like it's kind of low down and might be shadowed easily.
__________________
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 20:18   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Boat: Island Packet 29
Posts: 261
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Website looks sketchy and generic. Id stick with one of the tried and true.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 00:48   #9
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: forest city
Boat: no boat any more
Posts: 2,470
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

nearly bought it in 2018 for our Elan 410, but production schedule meant a leadtime of >6 months.
It looks lightly built but apart from brutalizing these gears with collisions they are plenty strong for "ordinary" use.
We had an Atoms gear - also quite "fragile" looking - rtw us twice, no breakage.

Mr. Vee used to have a stainless-gears option, but I don't see it any more on the site.
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 05:49   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Endeavour 32
Posts: 99
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Thanks for the comments from the users of them or similar.
My boat has a small transom, so a vane with a small footprint is more desirable.
SY Harmony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 06:04   #11
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: forest city
Boat: no boat any more
Posts: 2,470
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

another thought regarding the perceived fragility:
with Mr Vee's price & weight carrying two spares would still be cheaper & lighter than any one competitor.
(btw: the Windpilot Pacific that served us very well on our last voyage has an M6 thread on the rod connecting windvane & servo pendulum, & this proved sufficiently strong!
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 06:10   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Endeavour 32
Posts: 99
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
another thought regarding the perceived fragility:
with Mr Vee's price & weight carrying two spares would still be cheaper & lighter than any one competitor.
(btw: the Windpilot Pacific that served us very well on our last voyage has an M6 thread on the rod connecting windvane & servo pendulum, & this proved sufficiently strong!
Understood, being servo-pendulum, with only the wheel/cable/rudder friction to overcome. It really doesnít need to be a tank.
Itís my understanding these are just for small course corrections after balancing the sail set.
SY Harmony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 21:52   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: South Coast 36. Full keel, 9 tons, 36 foot, cutter rigged, centre cockpit sloop.
Posts: 31
Re: Mister Vee windvanes

The website makes only passing reference to wheel steering. I would guess that the extra friction to overcome, detracts from perfomance. Also, unlike the brilliant Navik, their is no trimtab on the servo blade, again lessening efficiency. For under 30 ft with a tiller, looks good.
bodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wind, windvane

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mister Vee windvane Pilot tbodine88 Seamanship & Boat Handling 0 15-12-2017 01:42
Mr Vane by Mister Vee - Experiences, feedback and reviews? AmericanVagrant Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 25-05-2015 13:13
Vetus Engine Electronic Control C12 (for Mister Joe Dolan) Rene SAV Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 19-08-2011 07:40

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.