Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21   #1

Mini Adventure Advice Please

Well I have ordered sails for the Daysailer and the wife has committed to sailing with me on nearby lakes. I have assimilated all the sage advice you wonderful people have supplied in my last request for information. The plan is to wait for a warm sunny day with a constant breeze and have a leisurely sail to an island I have visited where I will break out the blanket, wine and cheese. This should convince her about the tame stuff. Thank you all. Now on to my most immediate adventure plan. What is the opinion of sailing a Rhodes Daysailer 1 from some point in Massachusetts to York Beach Maine. I understand that I will have to wait for calm conditions and I plan on hugging the coast (almost literally so). From what I have read the winds in August when I would like to do this are WNW predominately which would seem conducive to success. I understand that the daysailer has positive foam floatation, but I would augment this with additional floatation in the cuddy. I am also fitting the boat with oars (I row for fitness and have a disdain for outboards). I will dress for the conditions (I am a scuba diver certified in Gloucester so I know how cold the water is! I will also bring a VHF and cellphone. I am not sure how long this adventure would take, but I plan to pull up on shore and sleep for the night (I am a very experienced wilderness hiker/camper). I have sailed on fresh water small lakes only. Am I crazy? To me this seems like a rather safe and doable adventure. Please opine.
Regards,
Kent
justwannadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Mini Adventure Advice Please

it will really depend on where you are doing it,inshore waters with a coastal island barrier will allow you to run for refuge if conditions change ,off shore you might want to take an epirb,the gulf stream is no place to be in a day sailer and minimul experince.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57   #3

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Personally, I think it's doable. But the caution urged by atoll is well advised. You're looking at a distance of only about 30 nm, but they can be mighty rough miles for a daysailer, if the weather and waves don't cooperate. Keeping a close eye (and ear) on the weather, and not taking any chances in fog or tall seas would probably be the keys to a safe trip, which could be done fairly easily in 2 days. You also wouldn't necessarily have to camp on shore, since there are many marinas along your intended route. I'd say go for it.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03   #4

Boat: Catalina 30
I would just suggest you both practice MOb drills. I grew up in York and recall the water is damn cold. You don't want to spend any amount of time in the drink, even in August. Sounds like a fun little trip.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12   #5

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

If the boat you're talking about is the one made by Cape Cod Shipbuilders I think you'll be fine. I've got a Mercury 15CB I've been sailing in and out of the local bays for 10 years. Very strong, very, very capable boat. Stay close but be careful around all the dumping spots that surround most of the Massachusetts coast line near shore.
Wait for a really good weather window and be prepared to call it quits if things get too rough or bad weather threatens. Also keep an eye on the tide tables for your trip dates. It gets awful hard to push even a small boat up to 200 ft to get either to or from the high water mark, usually in knee high mud around here.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Second all the above comments and recommendations.

Main point, making a trip in a small boat is a very reasonable idea as long as you watch the weather very carefully. In south FL people have taken Hobie Cats and jet skis across the 50 miles to the Bahamas.

Then, make sure you are prepared for a capsize or falling overboard. You already know how cold the water is. Even a mile offshore if you go in the water without protection and you can't get back on the boat and no one is there to haul you out it could be deadly. I would consider sailing in a wet or even dry suit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43   #7

From experience your plan very doable. In fact, this kind of sailing, I find, is a lot more instructive and demanding than big boat sailing inshore. Inlets and lee shore will be your biggest concern. Pick your battles and stay tethered when the going get challenging. I've trailer sailed a Rhodes 19 up and down the East Coast of NA and can say without preface, the best sailing I have ever done.

Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29   #8

"Found the cut!" My 5yr old exclaimed as we sailed to Deveaux Bank just outside the North Edisto Inlet, South Carolina. We spent an overnight on the Bank, sailed to in the Rhodes 19 little sister the Uffa Fox designed DS1.
John Picts - YouTube
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:26   #9

Thank you all for your advice. Many of you touched upon a main reason why I would like to do this, to polish up on my sailing skilss which are rusty, but I will be doing plenty of daysailing inland before August. I am cautious but adventurous by nature and my motto has always been"Plan for the worst, but hope for the best. I don't plan on getting even a mile offshore and capsizing and hypothermia are my main concerns. I have wetsuits and cold/wet weather gear to wear as situations dictate. I will be installing a fixed folding boarding ladder on the stern so getting back in the boat after a capsize will not be a problem. I already mentioned that I will be adding more than ample additional floatation in the cuddy and also a mast head float. I will be trailered to a launch ramp by my son and then hopefully picked up again at a ramp near York in time to enjoy the week at a home the wife and I have rented. I am not going to hurry and I want to enjoy the experience. My experience in doing these kinds of adventures is that most people are curious if not fascinated by someone doing something a bit outside the box. Sleeping a few nights on peoples lawns suits me just fine. Often they offer to feed you too if you'll tell them of your trips events. Thank you all again for your sage advice and encouragement. I am so excited for warmer weather!
Regards,
Kent
justwannadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:23   #10

Boat: Jensen Marine 24.5
Send a message via Skype™ to iamadifferentbreed
I've sailed an O Day Marineer all over Tampa Bay, to Ft. Myers and 25 miles out into the Gulf. Pick a good weather window and have fun. Basically they're the same boat, no where near as tender as some pelple think.
Old 05-03-2013, 17:22   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Some daysailors are self-rescuing, but some are not. If yours is one that requires outside assistance after a capsize, then it's simply not the vessel for the trip you propose.

If you don't know whether your vessel is self-rescuing, there's a simple way to find out. Do this before you're out there alone.
Old 05-03-2013, 17:39   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Very doable and fun! Winds will be more like predominantly SW in August though, with the potential for some fog, but less so than in July.
Old 05-03-2013, 18:35   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I've seen a lot of people scare the sheet out of their spouse. You have a lot of adventure experience. She may not. You'll probably be better off taking a sailing buddy on this ambitious trip rather than your wife. What's fun for one is hell for another.
Old 05-03-2013, 21:21   #14

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

It seems a bit ambitious for a first sail for the spouse. Things can be ugly quickly, and if that happens it could be marital disaster. Why not just some lake or day sailing to start?
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:16   #15

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
If you read his original post it looks like that's his plan, taking his wife on a day sail picnic and going on the Maine trip himself.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote