Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 18:59   #16

Boat: catalina 22 & 27
Re: Middle Florida Keys: Waterfront House with Sailboat?

The middle keys are sweet. However the only way I could afford to live then would be on a boat anchored out! Thx-Ace
Old 29-09-2020, 19:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Hillsboro inlet is tricky as it channel moves and can be quite shoal.
I won't argue that point however...

My good friend who did an 8 year circumnavigation has been using that inlet for the past 40 years without incident. He lives on the water in Deerfield Beach.
Old 29-09-2020, 20:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
A couple of things to keep in mind:

Lobster season only runs from Aug to Mar, no matter where you live in Florida. The west coast doesn't have a barrier reef like the keys, but we still have plenty of underwater structure, and in my opinion the fishing here is almost better than the keys, you Islamorada people don't lose your minds......

Red tide hasn't been a real problem for a couple of years now, and in my 26 years of living here has only been an issue a few times.

There is no place in Florida that is safe from no-see-ums.........

Besides the reef, the Keys and even the east coast, do have one thing that is better, clear water. As a diver I love that, but not enough to live on the east coast........
Ok, so an 8 month lobster season where you can actually catch lobsters is better than living where there is NO lobster diving.

SE Florida has better water clarity for diving and has better sailing.

Not hating on the west coast....I like it there too. But we prefer SE Florida and the Keys. Too bad it's so crowded and expensive.
Old 30-09-2020, 03:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Parts of Key West’s Duval Street, for instance, fail to drain after rainstorms.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 05:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Parts of Key West’s Duval Street, for instance, fail to drain after rainstorms.

I've actually read some predictions where the keys may be underwater in 30 years.
Old 30-09-2020, 06:32   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I've actually read some predictions where the keys may be underwater in 30 years.
Indeed.
Miami Beach, Key West, the Upper, and Lower Keys will soon be underwater, according to a study, first published in 2018, by the Union of Concerned Scientists.
The study identified U.S. coastal communities where “the largest number of residents live in properties that are projected to face the highest level of chronic and disruptive flooding, or effective inundation” by 2060.
The top 10 cities/regions that the group says will soon be underwater:
1. Miami Beach
2. Hoboken, NJ
3. Atlantic City, NJ
4. Key West
5. Galveston, TX
6. Hilton Head Island, SC
7. Lower Keys
8. Mount Pleasant, SC
9. Chesapeake, VA
10. Upper Keys

“Rising Seas, Chronic Floods, and the Implications for US Coastal Real Estate” ~ Union of Concerned Scientists
https://miami.cbslocal.com/wp-conten...underwater.pdf

"The $27 Billion Question - Can the Florida Keys adapt to sea level rise?"
https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-u...ea-level-rise/

Climate Change in Monroe County
The county is looking at multi-billion-dollar bills to pay for elevating roads and homes, shoring up public and commercial buildings, and buying out properties in areas that flood more frequently.
https://www.monroecounty-fl.gov/803/Sustainability

Old 30-09-2020, 06:57   #22

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:

So much for a 30 year loan then! But think on the BRIGHT SIDE! That 4' deep channel at low tide may NOW be NAVIGABLE!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 07:18   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'll be in the Marathon area next week.....I'll give it a good looksee...have been thinking about getting my own place down there myself...I do that every time I go there...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 10:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
So much for a 30 year loan then! But think on the BRIGHT SIDE! That 4' deep channel at low tide may NOW be NAVIGABLE!
Now THAT right there is FUNNY!
Old 30-09-2020, 11:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I'll be in the Marathon area next week.....I'll give it a good looksee...have been thinking about getting my own place down there myself...I do that every time I go there...
I would be very interested to see what you have to say.

The realtor I spoke with said there is a depth issue for sailboats. She said that Key Colony and Duck Key have canals that can accommodate deeper draft vessels. There may be more but she didn't mention them. She also mentioned that some keys do have a flooding issue....maybe parts of Big Pine Key? Probably others as well.

There was a building code change in the 90s. Insurance for houses that are not up on stilts may have an issue. I don't think I would consider a non elevated home now anyway.

Roofs and how they are attached, type of windows and shutters are an issue for insurance as well.

In any case....good luck. Again I would be very interested to hear what you think.
Old 30-09-2020, 13:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In 2018, Florida, Virginia, and New Jersey were rated among the highest States for building code adoption and enforcement, certification and training and contractor licensing.
Texas, Delaware and Mississippi were rated among the lowest, as those states lacked a regulatory process for building codes
“Rating the States: An Assessment of Residential Building Code and Enforcement Systems for Life Safety and Property Protection in Hurricane-Prone Regions”
https://ibhs.org/wp-content/uploads/...-2018_IBHS.pdf

Old 30-09-2020, 14:16   #27

Thank you GordMay
Old 30-09-2020, 17:29   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have postponed my Marathon trip by one week, due to possible inclement weather that may impact the area....recent Caribbean weather activity indicates possible Florida impacts, especially the Keys......so, had to put up the fishing gear for a week....my wife insists....gotta obey the admiral.....

But, while I'm here, I've done numerous trips to Marathon....always renting a house on one of the many canals there...by and large, my experience has been that most canals are fairly deep and there is off course, Boot Key anchorage, which typically hosts 100's of anchored sailboats as well as marina communities.. I can't say I've seen many sailboats in the canals...usually always fishing boats and these are almost always on a lift. On the west side of Marathon are some marina's, that have a large sailboat contingent, but I don't know too much about them, but clearly they accept deep draft sailboats. North of Marathon are also some communities, Key Colony Beach, etc, that seem to have sailboats docked there. I would have to say, you'd have to pick your spot. A lot would depend on the draft of the sailboat you intend to keep there....but I think the opportunity is there.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 18:02   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I would be very interested to see what you have to say.

The realtor I spoke with said there is a depth issue for sailboats. She said that Key Colony and Duck Key have canals that can accommodate deeper draft vessels. There may be more but she didn't mention them. She also mentioned that some keys do have a flooding issue....maybe parts of Big Pine Key? Probably others as well.

There was a building code change in the 90s. Insurance for houses that are not up on stilts may have an issue. I don't think I would consider a non elevated home now anyway.

Roofs and how they are attached, type of windows and shutters are an issue for insurance as well.

In any case....good luck. Again I would be very interested to hear what you think.

There’s a few canals of Boot Key Harbor that are deep enough for sailboats. Also Sombrero Beach is an upscale development in Marathon with quite a few sailboats. Another housing area on the gulf side of the airport with canals and sailboats.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 19:01   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Except for house in the middle you cant see

Tags
boat, florida, florida keys, sail, sailboat, water