Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Mexico or British Columbia, to learn to sail and buy a boat?
Mexico 13 35.14%
BC 17 45.95%
Neither, keep oldening in your soul-draining job 3 8.11%
bacon 8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 07:54   #1

Mexico or BC for me?

I’m fixing to do something ill-advised by my peers, family and friends. I have a good job in a large corporation downtown Toronto, which I’m going to quit very soon. I’ve been here 21 years, and qualify for a modest pension. So, technically, I’m going to retire.

Equal parts running away from this rat race, needing a big change, and having fallen in love with the idea of sailing as a lifestyle. I’m 46. I have no wife and no kids. Maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t. I’m gong to give it go.

I have enough saved up to buy the boat I want (older sailboat, 30 - 35 feet range) about 4 times over.

I’m confident I can make my pension work.

I have a way back to land-life should that become the only alternative at any point.

I’m trying to decide between BC and the pacific coast of Mexico.

BC is closer to family, parents, sisters. I’m Canadian, so I’d keep my healthcare. I like the climate. Taxes, banking, would all be simpler.

I suspect my money would stretch farther in Mexico. Mexico sounds like more fun to me.

I realize they’re not mutually exclusive. I could start of in either location and cruise to the other. My sailing skills are limited right now. It’s going to be a while before I can do that.

So, to move someplace favorable to buying a boat and learning to sail, year-round. Mexico or BC?

I’m sure I can do either. Wondering if anyone has opinions or advice on which might be better, cost-wise or otherwise.
DDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:17   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Mexico or BC for me?

I lived in Ensenada for 2 years and did 2 weeks in La Paz (one of those weeks aboard a sailboat learning to sail). I loved my time in Mexico and will probably wind up back in the Sea of Cortez when I retire. That would be my preference, especially as I don't like the cold.

Pros for me:
- close to nature / water (I scuba and like spending a lot of time in the water)
- cost of living (with the cavaet if you like simple and live that way, try to take a suburbian US lifestyle - lots of things to buy, processed foods - you'll go broke)
- people were awesome
Old 31-07-2017, 08:25   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

BC would be wading in, Mexico a jump. Be good to yourself. Get established into living on a boat in BC, where you have a familiar societal support group. You're young; build your skill set, and Mexico will always be there as a future destination, as will the rest of the world. Learn to walk, and then run!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:42   #4

Bahamas. Mexico would be hard getting back from for a newbie. BC is great but alot and tidal currents and cold. Bahamas is 80 miles from the us, white sand, easy anchoring, protected...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:04   #5

Boat: SJ 21

Just opinion. You need to stay at your job, buy a sailboat, live on it and sail Lake Ontario for the next 3-4 years. Then head off to wherever. Boat will be paid for, pension will be higher and you will know if sailing is the life for you. It is easy to watch a lifestyle on Youtube videos and fall in love with the lifestyle. Youtube videos are not reality.

Michael
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:22   #6

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

No experience in Mexico.

I vote for BC. Disclaimer: My wife and I have lived in Seattle for 25 years and are now living on our boat and going to Alaska where we will winter over both on and off the boat.

The boat selection is good in the PNW and the colder climate and rain generally keeps the boats in better shape than the greater sun exposure and temps of the more southern latitudes. There are plenty of good marine services in many locations. Great selection of small passages and anchorages to learn in while still being protected from the general open ocean. Great transportation from almost anywhere in the area. If you are not close to a large airport, there are a multitude of float plane companies and docks where you can get back to the mainland if needed. Many friendly Canadians along the way

Living on a boat in the winter will present a few issues like condensation and keeping warm. They can be problematic but can be dealt with; there are several threads on this on CF already. I would vote for getting a boat with a diesel heater like a Webasto or Espar; they work well in this climate.

Be interesting to hear what you decide and why
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:29   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Having lived aboard on the BC coast as well as Mazatlan and PV, I think I would choose BC.
The reasons are varied and it has a lot to do with age, agility and health.
I loved Mexico, the people, the weather, the food is incomparable to anywhere else in the world. You need to have minimal street Spanish or be hooked up with a Spanish speaking woman of which there are many both south of the border as well as in Norte Americano.
Stay away from the big cities in Western Canada near the border. Expensive, busy and not all that safe. Live aboard up coast a piece say in the Charlottes or Desolation Sound. The QC's have a new native name which escapes me at the moment.(Haida Guin?)
Weather is iffy in BC, particularly in winter. You need a water proof deck and a heater!
Mexico can be stinkin' hot in summer.
If you are inclined to have a good size vessel, summer in BC and winter in Mexico would be ideal! The passage up and down is pretty easy, safe and really enjoyable if you are not on a delivery or must get some place in a hurry. That way you can probably keep you Canadian Health care. Health care in Mexico is first class and I believe Canadian insurance pays for treatment rec'd there. Most Mexican physicians and dentists went to medical and dental school in the US.
Like any where else in the world, there are pluses and minuses to both locations.
As a naturalized American from Canada, if I had to choose at my age, it would be Canada because of the health care and English being spoken. However, I lived in Mazatlan and PV for 3 years and ran deliveries from Alaska to Panama with most deliveries between LA/San Diego and the Sea of Cortez. Great life, believe me!
Nothing is forever, except when you die. That is forever!
Therefore, I would put a 10 year horizon on your adventure and see how you feel. You may want venture out on the 'milk run' at some point and taste the South Pacific.
At under 50, the world is your oyster, so open carefully and taste the sweetness!
Good luck! I wish I was half my age and I would be doing the same thing!
Cheers, Phil
P.S. There are many solid boats for sale afloat or on the hard at really outstanding prices in San Carlos, MX
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:37   #8

If you can take the summer heat my best sales pitch for Mexico is the photo below. 3 shrimp tacos and 3 ice cold drafts, a pretty bartender and a tab of $7.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacos.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	153106  
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:15   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexio and bacon.
mexico bacon is to die for. make sure you are legally in country. they dont want no illegal wetback gringos taking all their lovely bacon. i can vouch.
you see it is not the drugs, it is the bacon.
oh. soc is south california. big price difference--tacos here are less. gotta find the right street vendor.
ha ha h a the answer to your question is do you prefer freezing to death or summer saunas relieved by named showers complete with drying breezes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:22   #10

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Both.
Start in BC. Enjoy the great beauty and cruising there.
When you are ready (or tired of being cold) head to Mexico.

We've been in Mexico for 6 years. It's getting time to head back up North, but ..,.
Its a LOT more enjoyable heading South than North!
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:36   #11
cruiser

The world is much larger than Mexico vs BC and cheap fish tacos. Expand your search well beyond North America... look at all the possibilities.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:47   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The world is much larger than Mexico vs BC and cheap fish tacos. Expand your search well beyond North America... look at all the possibilities.
they gotta start somewhere--- once they tire of fishie tacos they may find mediterranean a viable option. no canes there.....or so pac, dodgem storm beautiful pair a dice....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:07   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Plenty of good advice here. I love the PNW but I'd have to go with Mexico if forced to choose.. as long as I have a good full boat cover for that sun! There are a few more options, one being where I am, if you want the west coast. The Channel Islands have a wild and remote feel in many places. They are warmer than BC and cooler than Mexico. You could anchor yourself in a nice cove and stay for as long as your food and laundry hold out. Downside is no beach bars with the good food and attractive barkeeps. (Well, Catalina has a few nice places.) But Mexico ain't too far away. I just met a single guy, a little older than you, who lives aboard his beautiful classic 41' and had sailed out for a few days. He goes back and forth to the mainland. Ran into another friend out there who is spending 6 weeks sailing around here and down to Catalina and San Nicolas islands alone on his 28 foot Islander. One of the virtues here is the good weather but if you want some practice with rougher conditions, you can get that nearby too. If you search for a boat from Morro Bay to San Diego, you will likely find a great one for not too much. It is a great area to learn in too. There are a few slips available too. Lately it's been heavenly out there but for God's sake, don't tell anyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelican Harbor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	153110  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The world is much larger than Mexico vs BC and cheap fish tacos..
yawn.....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:32   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDup View Post
I’m fixing to do something ill-advised by my peers, family and friends. I have a good job in a large corporation downtown Toronto, which I’m going to quit very soon. I’ve been here 21 years, and qualify for a modest pension. So, technically, I’m going to retire.

Equal parts running away from this rat race, needing a big change, and having fallen in love with the idea of sailing as a lifestyle. I’m 46. I have no wife and no kids. Maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t. I’m gong to give it go.

I have enough saved up to buy the boat I want (older sailboat, 30 - 35 feet range) about 4 times over.

I’m confident I can make my pension work.

I have a way back to land-life should that become the only alternative at any point.

I’m trying to decide between BC and the pacific coast of Mexico.

BC is closer to family, parents, sisters. I’m Canadian, so I’d keep my healthcare. I like the climate. Taxes, banking, would all be simpler.

I suspect my money would stretch farther in Mexico. Mexico sounds like more fun to me.

I realize they’re not mutually exclusive. I could start of in either location and cruise to the other. My sailing skills are limited right now. It’s going to be a while before I can do that.

So, to move someplace favorable to buying a boat and learning to sail, year-round. Mexico or BC?

I’m sure I can do either. Wondering if anyone has opinions or advice on which might be better, cost-wise or otherwise.
Hi, DDup,

I think you should learn to sail somewhere you can experience a wide variety of conditions. And sail often, as it is depth of experience that will ultimately keep you safe.

I also think the solution to your quandary will be in working out the numbers. You have many steps before you're ready to leave your home waters on your own boat. Southern Cal has many boats for sale, and very light airs. [little challenge]

Mexico is lovely, and the people, good hearted and friendly, how's your Spanish? [It will not be hard to learn, if you already have French, much of the grammar and word roots are the same.] Imho, the actual sailing, in Mexico where we were (Sea of Cortez through Barra de Navidad) was not challenging, and by that I mean that you will learn more, and more deeply, by some sailing in challenging conditions. The word for bacon is "tocino".

You're young, you should not have health problems yet for many years, barring accidental damage.

I think BC'd be a better bet for you, and you might consider getting someone like CF member jackdale to investigate some heavy weather sail training with, and you will want someone experienced and knowledgeable to help you select the boat.

Good luck, and enjoy giving it a go. You won't regret it.

Ann

Tags
Mexico