Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 12:03   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mexican moorage "Hurricane holes, costs"

sry eriting from fone.
marina mazatlan personnel told me ehen i asked tbat no furycame damage in 33 yrs.
however there were ts with damages yo mwz mati a within that timespan.
tis not merely gurycames here but the fail canes which are ts. they can be without nsme along yhis douthwest voast until cabo area where they become named.. the letter j storm in 2013 was like that.
wnd just because odile rapidly intensified within five hours offshore south of cabo corrientes doesnt mean we got any of that here in barra.
paths do not speak of the marinas and mariners and vonditions within protected areas providef for same.
generalities read and watched do not represent our needs and realities, either.
what is ok on land is entirely different on water.
reports are made for land based folks.
when jova tore up barra she left the marina alone. did not enter the lagoon but remained in bahia navidad. barra marina is protected from seas and much of wind.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 17:49   #17

Boat: Alajuela 38 Cutter

Wow!
I could not have asked for more interesting and informative responses if i'd tried All the responses have the same vein it seems, tell the insurance company what they want to hear, then talk to those currently doing it when we are there, then decide, I like it. TJ D, great info on P/V, ZEEHAG, great info on a LOT (thank you), I'm liking what SVTHIRDDAY was saying about your feelings about Barra De Navidad, seems to possibly be THE spot for a first go.

My hats off to TACOMASAILOR: You gave a lot of good info, then got snarky there at the end. Sailed my boat from Seattle to and from Hawaii in 2013 after a lot of study and no prior blue water experience (well, I did drive submarines for uncle Sam a lot of years ago, I figured thats how to learn. Your later correction/apology shows a real good person (peace brother) and your link to the previous years hurricanes did a lot to assuage my peace of mind.

Thanks for all the info everyone,
Slainte
Joe Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 18:38   #18

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Hey Zeehag, got a friend not on cf. He is shopping for a Summer marina for a 41' sloop. What should I tell them they charge for their summer rate? Electric and taxes too? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 18:49   #19

summer rate was 28 cents per foot per day per month. works out to be 450 total per month in summer. .
Old 30-11-2015, 19:52   #20

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Nice, thanks Zee.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 18:54   #21

Boat: Cooper 416

I have just bought a sailboat in San Carlos and am very interested in the hurricane hole question. It seems there are some very varied ideas about this but perhaps you might feel able to advise me about any companies willing to ensure a boat for the Mexican west coast? Someone commented that there is no insurance if damage is caused by a named storm? Is this true?
Welschrisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 20:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welschrisby View Post
I have just bought a sailboat in San Carlos and am very interested in the hurricane hole question. It seems there are some very varied ideas about this but perhaps you might feel able to advise me about any companies willing to ensure a boat for the Mexican west coast? Someone commented that there is no insurance if damage is caused by a named storm? Is this true?
you will need to take this up with those insured and remaining in san carlos and guaymas for newton.
as for huricane holes in mexico, there are only 2 true hurricane holes in mexico- one is ixtapa and one is isla navidad.
insurance companies donot pay out for damages incurred outside their specified latitudes.
the 2 cane holes are outsde their proscribed parameters.
people run up to san carlos an dguaymas because insurance dictates specified latitudes, which i believe gyaumas is within, as is san carlos. does not make those areas safe--on the contrary--they are less safe, as was shown by damages incurred in newton.
those of us in isla navidad for patricia fared much better in that extreme cat 5 than those in guaymas during cat 3 newton. oopsy.
is a matter of personal choice.
Old 08-04-2017, 23:50   #23

Boat: Cooper 416

Thank you ZeeHag.

There seems to be a consensus about the south fairing best in a big blow! I have heard very mixed reports about Bara De Navidad but it is right at the heart of my favourite part of Mexico so I would love to hear that the bad press is apocryphal.

I have been land bound in San Carlos for three weeks now, I am not easily deterred but - I don't like these freaky little winds! They are just plain nasty and could seriously compromise ones apre sail enjoyments!

So here are my 3 questions to the forum please:

Imagine you just blew your so called pension "lump sum" on a sailboat in San Carlos. You plan to live on your boat for 5 months of winter. Somewhere on the west coast of Mexico and return to Canada to work for the rest of the year ( I'm an artist we never do retire, life is just too interesting.).

1) Where would you leave your boat for hurricane season whilst you were back in Canada and travelling internationally? (ie it would be very difficult to drop everything and run to the boat every time the wind pushed over gale force)

2)Who would you approach for insurance?

3)Were would you (personally)base your sailing for the 5 months you are down south?

I it helps please assume the boat is a Cooper 415. Ie. slow but commodious

Oh wise ones - what is your council? Than you.
Welschrisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:50   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

It's an easy call for me after 4yrs of cruising Mexico....
I would base my boat out of La Paz...why?
Easy In/out flights.
Secure Marina's like Marina Palmira that didn't have a single boat damaged during the last record hurricane.
Easy access to some of the best cruising grounds in the Sea of Cortez
Plethera of marine supplies, services and craftsman if you need/want work on your boat.
Relatively dry-heat compared to that of San Carlos/Mexican mainland.
La Paz Cruisers Supply has a yacht management program that works with insurance companies and submits an insurance plan and that insurance companies love because it provides for an onsite boat watching in a secure marina.

There ya go....that's my thinking of why.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:28   #25

insurance novamar or mariners group. they have feet in mexico, a requirement for insurance in mexico.
the only 2 real cane holes are ixtapa, very pricey and south of hurricane zone or barra de navidad's isla navidad--puerto de la navidad marina. IS cane hole. reasonable summer rates and segundino is a good guy. the boat willbe watched while you are not present. excellent security.
mazatlan is not a cane hole, but rarely do they venture into the marinas. el cid has too much swell in summer, marina mazatlan is ok (CHEAP!!!) and isla marina is fairly sheltered.
i use barra de navidad for my address of record with my visa--is residente permanente.
finding reasonable prices is important to me, so i LOVE manzanillo area. north of manzanillo prices for items for boats is outrageous.
people only remember the last storm. odile did a number on la paz, as did previous canes.
there are more than one part to mexico--if you love greingos and gringo oriented living, la paz and soc. if you dislike northers, lapaz isnot the place. as anywhere in soc, northers happen. so do chubascos.
it is also COLD in winter. just like phx and san diego--cold means 30s at nights.
if you wish to see mexico--head south.
huatulco is also a good place to hide from canes, as there are none there--they only begin to form there. i have yet to go there, but reports are wonderful. no ts,nothing named hits there.
start in soc then move southward as you see fit. mexico is a huge country and much to see, including pyramids and volcanoes.
each locale has advantages and disadvantages--and each person has a different idea as to those.
so-- despite the fact i LOVE mainland mexico south of mazatlan, i recommend starting in san carlos and exploring well and learning what is your happy place without so many of us telling you what w e like and donot like. there is much variety in mexico-- have fun with ALL of it.
san carlos is a very good place to begin.

Tags
hurricane