Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 18:01   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Med Mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSlue View Post
https://youtu.be/LRlnRVWsUYg

This is my favorite med mooring fail video. So many things gone wrong... from not having the crew positioned to fend off, not enough speed, the odd catch on the neighboring boat that seems to draw their stern to that boat instead to the dock. Very educational.
I've moored in that exact same spot once and two spots over several times. Since that video was taken they have eliminated the lazy lines which threw me for a loop watching it now. When we were there, you basically pulled your bow up in between two boats, dropped your anchor there, then backed across the fairway. Guaranteed that every other boat was stuck with their chains crossed.

But boy have I seen worse, way way worse. Reminds me of the time in Kos when we dropped the anchor and backed in to the quay. My bow kept pulling closer to the starboard boat until we were basically latched on to them. My daughter had let out the anchor, which was over the top of theirs, then got confused and retrieved it instead of releasing it so it was out of the water, on their chain, right in front of their boat. If that was a video it would take a prize, but not first.
Old 07-08-2018, 18:10   #17

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
She needed waaaay more forward throttle. She had the boat tracking in pretty straight, but it was still moving pretty fast toward the dock even though she put the throttle in forward. Then instead of more forward throttle, she lessens it to a forward idle position which is really not helpful. But what bothers me the most is that when the guy falls in the water, she puts the throttle into reverse instead of neutral. Spinning props and swimmers?

Taking a little time to practice stopping the boat in open water and getting the feel for it's momentum before trying to dock it would have helped a lot.

If you look at the video again, pretty sure this is a boat where shift handle astern=FWD, and shift handle ahead = REVERSE.
That then explains why moving the handle ahead only kept boat moving. Only at end does she jam shift handle astern, and you can see the prop wash as the boat pulls away in forward.
It’s the lazy way to connect the shift cable to a transmission as opposed to reversing the transmission lever or adding a reversing bracket so if shifts the right way
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:18   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
why do they insist on stern to dock in the med? what wrong with bow first?
They don't all insist on it..
There are a couple reasons it might be preferable stern to..

Not all have the "slime line" so you need to drop your anchor.

With many boats its easier to get on and of from the stern and deploy your gang plank..

Many modern boats are wider at the stern and that makes the geometry of the stern lines to the dock preferable..

Many boats have shore power near the stern..

It can be easier to hold the boat straight from the centre of the bow then off to a side cleat on the stern..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:51   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

This is a typical instructor mistake. The trick can be mastered at a buoy up first. Only then at a hard dock.

The woman did as told. She moved the lever forward.

What surprises me, given the conditions, is the speed they are executing at.

Never learn from people who do not know.

Did they have any fenders out anyways?

Very funny TO WATCH. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 19:18   #20

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
If you look at the video again, pretty sure this is a boat where shift handle astern=FWD, and shift handle ahead = REVERSE.
That then explains why moving the handle ahead only kept boat moving. Only at end does she jam shift handle astern, and you can see the prop wash as the boat pulls away in forward.
It’s the lazy way to connect the shift cable to a transmission as opposed to reversing the transmission lever or adding a reversing bracket so if shifts the right way

Hmm. Opposite world, just to make things more interesting. I have never heard of this, but it does explain some things. I was wondering why the boat didn't seem to slow down at all when she had it in 'forward'.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 19:30   #21

I like that, good advice, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
"People are always more cautious backing up against expensive yachts than they are against a seawall."
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 19:38   #22

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I've moored in that exact same spot once and two spots over several times. Since that video was taken they have eliminated the lazy lines which threw me for a loop watching it now. When we were there, you basically pulled your bow up in between two boats, dropped your anchor there, then backed across the fairway. Guaranteed that every other boat was stuck with their chains crossed.

But boy have I seen worse, way way worse. Reminds me of the time in Kos when we dropped the anchor and backed in to the quay. My bow kept pulling closer to the starboard boat until we were basically latched on to them. My daughter had let out the anchor, which was over the top of theirs, then got confused and retrieved it instead of releasing it so it was out of the water, on their chain, right in front of their boat. If that was a video it would take a prize, but not first.
I think I would like to sit down with you and hear ALL of the stories.

Fortunately, I had a very competent person working the anchor on our Greece trip and almost all of the crew had at least some racing experience, so they were comfortable with the idea of having a job. No one stood around wondering what to do during mooring maneuvers. One of the best things I did was assign one of the crew to read off depth numbers to me at certain intervals. This allowed me to keep my eyes up a watching for traffic, etc.

They pulled the lazy lines there?! Good grief.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 21:38   #23
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
No one stood around wondering what to do during mooring maneuvers.
This is one that always cracked me up. You could take a fairly competent crew and give them the stern lines to throw when at the quay - easy job right? Invariably they would stand there with mouth agape staring at the village and forget to throw the line.

I like med mooring though and wish they did it here in the States. It gives a lot more room on docks than side ties. But the pandamonium - just think about it. Most boaters don't know how to tie a knot.
Old 07-08-2018, 23:51   #24

Quote:
But what bothers me the most is that when the guy falls in the water, she puts the throttle into reverse instead of neutral. Spinning props and swimmers?
At that point, she pretty clearly panicked. Dangerous yes but an honest mistake.

I have more of an issue with him trying to save the day by jumping aboard. Fiberglass just costs $$$$ to repair. Getting run down or crushed...$$$$ doesn't always solve the problem.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 23:56   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
At that point, she pretty clearly panicked. Dangerous yes but an honest mistake.

I have more of an issue with him trying to save the day by jumping aboard. Fiberglass just costs $$$$ to repair. Getting run down or crushed...$$$$ doesn't always solve the problem.
Yep.. and it did seem to take a long time for him to surface... plus he seems to have pulled something off the stern.. like a bit of handrail or part of the pushpit... could have knocked himself in the head with it..
Might have been the swim ladder....
I feel bad for her.. poor instruction and no plan "b" from the instructors...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Very funny TO WATCH. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, b.
Marvellous entertainment for the tourists sitting around the harbour with their ice creams, they will be taking about it for weeks to come. For the crew, best retire to a bar away from the waterfront were you won't be recognised.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Wow....

I have taught MANY people how to dock boats. No student ever has complete control when I am aboard! You can tell when I am teaching on dual helm sailboat— I am scrunched up on the rail above the engine controls- just in case. If the boat has one helm, I am next to the helm within arm’s reach of the throttles. This is not ego, it is avoiding situations like this.

The only time I teach from the companionway is off the dock.

The sad part is because of this event, you have a person who will be very scared of docking. If this was a husband and wife, she may never touch the helm.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring