Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2022, 18:47   #1

Max Draft for Erie Canal?

So I’m trying to get from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic next summer and I originally was planning on the St Lawrence so I didn’t have to drop my mast, but the more people I talk to the more they say that the canal system is just easier. I wasn’t really looking forward to popping out that far up into Canada anyways so I’m thinking they might be right.

I am doing the trip in a moody 425 which has about a 6’ 4” draft. From what I gather the eastern part of the canal is fine for that, so my question is how safe is it to do the western part of the canal? Or am I better off just going up to the Oswego canal and then hooking up with the Erie?

I am just starting my research so any other resources you guys have for route planning would be greatly appreciated.
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 18:54   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Max Draft for Erie Canal?

In theory you can do the whole thing, as even the west end is supposed to be maintained to 12 feet. In reality, the west end is more likely to have depth issues. If you call the canal corp before you go they may have better info than what's online as far as any areas of concern.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:44   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

It is a bit hit and miss. I don't think the canal authorities have nearly the budget to keep up with all of the dredging. You get shoaling where a creek comes into the canal (I remember one place just east of Lake Oneida. Sometimes you will see several extra buoys marking the best way around a shoal. I think you could do it but may drag occasionally, but it is soft, gooey stuff. What time of year are you thinking?
Old 03-09-2022, 06:09   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Years ago we made it through the canal w/6.5' with no problem, but this year a CF member went through to Oswego from the Hudson and went hard aground in several sections due to shoaling w/a 6.25' draft.

Here's the canal site for notices https://www.canals.ny.gov/wwwapps/ta...ces/index.aspx
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:31   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Not to discourage the canal routes, but we did the St. Lawrence as part of our Down East Loop trip, and are very glad we did.

Yes, there are some open water stretches, but nothing your boat can't handle. Good harbors and anchorages are never far apart. You'll even be able to get in a fair amount of sailing, something you won't get on the canals.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, draft