Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 12:39   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Mast moving ideas?

I’m stuck. I’m buying a mast and it’s a couple hours away by car.

Lots of logistics issues.

1). The mast I’m buying is 59’ long.

2). The mast is on another boat on the deck.

3). The seller can’t get his boat into any local marinas (same size cat as mine)

4) the seller wants to take it off at a boat ramp since there are no other options. The boat ramp has several ramps, docks and a sea wall he can put his bows on to unload the mast into the parking lot. The parking lot is 100’ x 500’ and can accommodate tractor trailers. It has a 100’ wide entrance.

Problems:

1). No local Marina will accept his boat or pull the mast or store the mast.

2) I’ve been trying to get Joule yacht transport to get the mast. I got a quote and everything. They will only pick up at a marina that won’t take the boat or mast. They are now dragging their feet at the whole thing and not returning calls to set things up.

3) my boat is not ready to go on a 3 day trip to go get it.

Does anyone know how I can move this thing in Florida on I75?

I’ve looked up all the laws and feel like I can buy a jet ski trailer, use it as “wheels”, lights, etc and affix the front of the mast to my pickup truck in a flexible way. But everyone is saying not to do that.

Does anyone know of someone in Tampa/Fort Myers who could move this mast on road?

Anyone want to move it on deck and get paid to do so?

I’m sorry for asking so many questions all the time here. These things are coming at me a mile a minute. I hope I’m not annoying everyone.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 13:26   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Mast moving ideas?

How far away is the mast by water from your boat?
I have seen mast being dragged by a power boat where they floated the mast with big round fenders, I believe the one I saw had a total of six big round fenders and they took it from Crandom Park Marina to somewhere in Coconut grove. My guess the trip was maybe 10 miles?

Are you that far away? Seem to me if you have a buddy with a large power it where the mast can be placed on the port or stbd side, then even if it sticks out either end, it should be fine
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 13:27   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

Highway limits are 40 ft long by the way
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 13:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
How far away is the mast by water from your boat?
I have seen mast being dragged by a power boat where they floated the mast with big round fenders, I believe the one I saw had a total of six big round fenders and they took it from Crandom Park Marina to somewhere in Coconut grove. My guess the trip was maybe 10 miles?

Are you that far away? Seem to me if you have a buddy with a large power it where the mast can be placed on the port or stbd side, then even if it sticks out either end, it should be fine
I was thinking of doing this too. Floating it for a tow. My boat isn’t ready for the trip though.

I don’t know anyone in real life with a boat. You guys are all I have in that respect.

It’s about a 95 mile trip.

I wish I could find someone going this way (south from Tampa to Fort Myers) who could take it on deck or tow it. But... o don’t know of anyone.
Old 05-12-2020, 13:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Highway limits are 40 ft long by the way
Hmmm. I saw 48ft as the Florida limit. Looked up again. You are right. 40’

How do the semis tow 53’ standard trailers? Or those huge 5th wheel RVs? I’m confused there.

But if I can only have 40’ as a tow, that’s 19’ over the truck.

The truck is 20’ long so if I can angle it up over the cab, it would work.

No idea how to attach it to the truck though.
Old 05-12-2020, 13:57   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Why the rush? Is your boat ready to launch & rig? Does the seller have a new mast all ready to go in? If yes, where's he getting that done, and why can't you use them to load the truck? Floating it 95 miles, even if you can find a friendly powerboat, sounds "iffy". What if it slips off the flotation...? What if the towline chafes through...? Sounds like a "hurry-up-and-wait situation about to happen.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 13:59   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'm curious what the situation is with the seller's boat where no marina will let him in and no marina is willing to pull the mast for him.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 14:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Why the rush? Is your boat ready to launch & rig? Does the seller have a new mast all ready to go in? If yes, where's he getting that done, and why can't you use them to load the truck? Floating it 95 miles, even if you can find a friendly powerboat, sounds "iffy". What if it slips off the flotation...? What if the towline chafes through...? Sounds like a "hurry-up-and-wait situation about to happen.
The rush is the seller need it off his boat.

I’m trying to do my part of the deal and remove it from his boat so he can get to work on his boat.

He’s going trawler cat.
Old 05-12-2020, 14:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'm curious what the situation is with the seller's boat where no marina will let him in and no marina is willing to pull the mast for him.
25’ beam. manatee river in Florida. No marina there can take the beam.
Old 05-12-2020, 14:13   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If it cannot come by road, it'll have to come by water: either on a barge or by someone who wants to help you out. Someone with a catamaran might be able to take your mast as "deck cargo", if you work out some crutches for the mast for them. Otherwise, you might be able to hire a self powered barge or one that you could power adequately by hip tied dinghy or workboat, and bring it to yourself. There might be licensing issues here or waterways limiting laws to consider.

Ann
Old 05-12-2020, 14:28   #11

Boat: Sabre 34II

When I brought my 50’ mast home to paint last spring I hired a flat bed trailer and paid them $350 to move 20 miles or so. We stored the mast at an angle on the bed (higher in the front where the trailer rises) with foam blocks - 4 blocks in the front, 3 in the middle and 2 in the back, tied tightly with straps. The mast was sticking out about 5’ from the back and I drove behind the truck. My buddies and I hauled the mast on and off the truck. Lemme know if you have any other questions.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 14:33   #12

Boat: Sabre 34II

Transporting by road is definitely doable if you can work out the kinks with regards to getting it off the seller’s boat, loading and unloading, but if I were you I would definitely look into transporting it by water as others have suggested. A barge with a crane can unstep it and place it on a float tow or a transport barge. I am not sure which one will be cheaper however.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 15:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
When I brought my 50’ mast home to paint last spring I hired a flat bed trailer and paid them $350 to move 20 miles or so. We stored the mast at an angle on the bed (higher in the front where the trailer rises) with foam blocks - 4 blocks in the front, 3 in the middle and 2 in the back, tied tightly with straps. The mast was sticking out about 5’ from the back and I drove behind the truck. My buddies and I hauled the mast on and off the truck. Lemme know if you have any other questions.
I’m talking to a landscaper right now. Joule yacht transport quoted $350 to do it. This guy wants $650 plus any tickets he gets will be charged to me!

And you paid $350 in Long Island where this are always expensive. I’m unable to get this guy to change the price. But do have a maybe here.
Old 05-12-2020, 15:35   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

It would be best for you if the sellers can bring it by water on their boat. Wherever you are, we know that your boat made it there. why can't theirs?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 15:35   #15

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Cut it half and sleeve it later?

Tags
mast