Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 12:26   #1

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran
Marine Mechanic recommendation

Anyone use or have a recommendation for Sub Contractor Marine Mechanic Annapolis/Edgewater MD area? Need to replace coolant hoses from engine to water heater on a catamaran. Noticed marinas have sign in sheets for contractors but reluctant to recommend. Thanks in advance!
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 04:52   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Marine Mechanic recommendation

The on-site guys at Holiday Point (at least Gunther, for engines and I assume he does other stuff too) in Selby Bay have a good reputation. Also on-site guys at Casa Rio on the Rhode River, but I do't have a name there...

On-site guys in our marina (Anchor) are good, and they've done some work on a cat a few years ago... but it'd be tight, not easy to get in and out of...

-Chris
Old 16-06-2017, 05:25   #3

Boat: Passport 40

Chris Oliver Jr is good. He is close to Jabins.

Home
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 07:05   #4

Pretty simple job, shame to pay a guy $100/hr for something you can do yourself.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:01   #5

Boat: Passport 40

I hadn't read the original post, and I agree. That's simple stuff. And even if it isn't (Im mechanically idiot), you really DO NEED to learn basic stuff. The only way: doing it. Exchanging those hoses sounds like a good way to start learning. Im sure most people can help you on this forum. Things to keep in mind:

- getting the correct type of hoses

- double clamping hoses if below the waterline

- getting the correct tools for everything you need to do (including hose remover)

It will take time (because you don't know how to do it). It will be a pain in the ass, and you will get cuts and nicks. But it will help you develop some skills to be able to work on other stuff that might need be fixed out in the water.

You can always call on a pro once you are REALLY stuck. You could also try and see if in your marina there is some provider and you can start doing the work and get them to help you for a few bucks if you get stuck.

Last year, being a new boat owner, I had to do some stuff on my Passport 40, including exchanging a raw water pump. I contacted a very good mechanic (this was in Norfolk, VA, Mike from Horizon Marine @ Cobb's), and he was straight with me: "I could do it and charge you. But you NEED to learn. Do it yourself, I will tell you how, you need to know some of this stuff." Boy was he right. He taught me a lot. And then did some work on my engine that was a bit more "advanced". He taught me bleeding, including opening up an injector. Im so grateful I found a guy that would push me to learn
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I hadn't read the original post, and I agree. That's simple stuff. And even if it isn't (Im mechanically idiot), you really DO NEED to learn basic stuff. The only way: doing it. Exchanging those hoses sounds like a good way to start learning. Im sure most people can help you on this forum. Things to keep in mind:

- getting the correct type of hoses

- double clamping hoses if below the waterline

- getting the correct tools for everything you need to do (including hose remover)

It will take time (because you don't know how to do it). It will be a pain in the ass, and you will get cuts and nicks. But it will help you develop some skills to be able to work on other stuff that might need be fixed out in the water.

You can always call on a pro once you are REALLY stuck. You could also try and see if in your marina there is some provider and you can start doing the work and get them to help you for a few bucks if you get stuck.

Last year, being a new boat owner, I had to do some stuff on my Passport 40, including exchanging a raw water pump. I contacted a very good mechanic (this was in Norfolk, VA, Mike from Horizon Marine @ Cobb's), and he was straight with me: "I could do it and charge you. But you NEED to learn. Do it yourself, I will tell you how, you need to know some of this stuff." Boy was he right. He taught me a lot. And then did some work on my engine that was a bit more "advanced". He taught me bleeding, including opening up an injector. Im so grateful I found a guy that would push me to learn
You are so right!
Been cruising for 8 years and seeing more and more boats in the islands that are "turnkey" skippers. Met one who didn't know how to change the oil and didn't seem interested in learning how.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, mechanic, men