Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 07:57   #1

Marinas in Ct?

Hallo!
we're new to sailing larger vessels, I grew up sailing sailfish/sunfish and Hobie 16. Kinda used to just hauling it up onto the front yard...
We're thinking about owning a larger boat, Pierson 33 on the radar, but are a little overwhelmed by the number of marinas in CT. Other than calling each by distance from home, is there a publication with local information, or a way to sort some out?

We're thinking of mooring on the coast and hauling out a few hours North on the Ct river for the winter (to avoid motoring several hours just to sail the sound for a day or two).

Before we buy, we're feeling like we'd like to have a good idea what annual storage/haul-out/mooring costs look like.

Thanks!
SYA
siryaksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:01   #2

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Re: Marinas in Ct?

where is "home"? the CT coastline is pretty long. the further out the better the wind (and lower the prices), so if you don't have the constraint of having to be close to NYC - all the better for you. as I was told by some folks in Old Saybrook, "when we exit Connecticut River, we always hang a left - there's no point in going right"
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 09:11   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473

I think calling by distance from home is a great idea. Use google for you publication. We're sailing out of Guilford because we live in town and like to sail a lot. But the best destinations are to the east. So I agree that if you want to be close to destinations, find a marina past Old Saybrook. We'd rather have the boat close to our home, day sail a lot, and make the treks as needed.
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 09:20   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

If all you're looking for is a marina to haul and block your boat for the winter, I would just start dialing with your fingers and getting rates from those in your target area. The smaller marinas are likely going to be less expensive, as that is their draw against larger facilities with more amenities. That said, smaller yards can generally be subject to more theft and less supervision.

Once you find a handful of candidates, ask around in forums to see if anyone has experience with them. While hauling a 35' sloop is a pretty straightforward affair, you want to make sure that the yard you choose has a good record.

If your boat needs work during the off season (and what boat doesn't?), make sure that the yard allows owners to work on their own boats and find out what their rules are and the envinromental regulations that they hold to. If you need specialized and/or major work done, you'll be better served finding a marina that lets in outside vendors and is in an area where there are good quality services.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:30   #5

Boat: hunter 27

ponus yacht club, great bunch of people!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
raybobsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 19:22   #6

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking of a summer location on the ocean--the bank account says mooring if there is such an animal in the sound--and haul-out in Glastonbury which is 30 minutes from home.

I don't think I would harbor in Glastonbury--that's a chunk of day just to get to and from the Sound.

CT river mouth East or West would be close enough. A few minutes further on the road for a hundred or two less on a mooring is worth it.

Does anyone moor/slip for the winter around here?

Tx!
SYA
siryaksalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas