Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 06:07   #1

Marina Recommendations Granada

We are wanting to leave our boat in Granada for a couple of months over the summer this year. Can any of you with personal experience recommend a marina that is well built and safe. If you have other information such as pricing for a 42 foot boat as well as other info about the area that would be nice to know as well. Than You!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:14   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Marina Recommendations Granada

Gotta get your mind out of the Med, Robert. Granada is a long way away from you!

If instead you want to store your boat in Grenada, are you wanting in-water or haulout storage?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 07:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Gotta get your mind out of the Med, Robert. Granada is a long way away from you!

If instead you want to store your boat in Grenada, are you wanting in-water or haulout storage?

Mark
No kidding eh and I don't know how to make the correction! In water is best for us as Pantaenius want the boat in a steel cradle and for 2 months use the costs are really up there.
Old 20-02-2015, 07:16   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

But they are OK in water?

Port Louis Marina is probably the most well-built and maybe safest. Clark's Court Marina is also a good one, but if a storm is coming, it may get a bit untenable there. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving our boat during storm season in Fountaine Blu or the marinas in Prickly Bay or Mount Hartman Bay.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 11:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
But they are OK in water?

Port Louis Marina is probably the most well-built and maybe safest. Clark's Court Marina is also a good one, but if a storm is coming, it may get a bit untenable there. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving our boat during storm season in Fountaine Blu or the marinas in Prickly Bay or Mount Hartman Bay.

Mark

We are new to this whole storm plan thingy. In the past we only ever carried 3rd party liability and just went where we wanted using common sense. Pantaenius doesn't accept that you are out of the hurricane zone unless you are below 7 degrees. Anyways they want a full steel cradle tied down to the ground if on the hard but will accept in the water depending on where and how it is looked after. Now what I don't know is if the deductible changes or for that matter if the premium changes. If I could find reasonable priced liability only I'd get rid of hull insurance but I haven't found it yet. Thanks for the feedback. R
Old 20-02-2015, 17:46   #6

Boat: Hunter 410

Clarke's Court Bay is in the middle of a major rebuild; it appears that they are aiming to become a strong rival to Port Louis. I don't know the timing of their re-opening or whether they are yet taking reservations.
After several summers on the hard in Trinidad, we have left her in Grenada at Spice Island Marine in 2013 and 2014. We have been very happy there; they do fill up so you may want to start making inquiries soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:40   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I won't post these pictures again but I would not advice you to stay in any of these places as they all get destroyed when a hurricane hits. I was there, it was bad.

Go to Trinidad for storage.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:55   #8

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

Grenada marine in St Davids harbour have a few what they claim to be hurricane safe moorings. The bay has a bit swell but the entrance is a narrow opening between the reefs from south. If the mooring and deck connections can take the wind you should be fine there.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:58   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregts View Post
Grenada marine in St Davids harbour have a few what they claim to be hurricane safe moorings. The bay has a bit swell but the entrance is a narrow opening between the reefs from south. If the mooring and deck connections can take the wind you should be fine there.
No way When Ivan passed by the storm surge and waves in St Davids came ashore and wiped the buildings off. It will be hell on a mooring there, but they did relatively well with boats stored on the hard. With that I mean they weren't all destroyed like in Prickly Bay, St George, Mount Hartman Bay or Clarks Court.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 02:11   #10

Boat: Oyster 66

I would be careful about the marina choice. Port St Louis marina would be first choice; it's the safest in Grenada. Then, only if they gave a double berth between two finger piers. You could then lash her down properly before leaving to meet the insurance requirements, this is because they might promise it, but I bet they won't be able to secure her the day before one hits. I would only do this before 3rd wk July, after then the risks rise massively.

On the hard you have to pay for a cradle wherever you are. Trinidad is a bit cheaper, better for working on the hard and certainly safer for the boat and would be my choice. A nice day sail there.

If you pick Grenada, then ensure the boats next to you are in cradles too. It is not an insurance requirement, but it should be.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 03:05   #11

Thanks for all the feedback. Our first choice was Trinidad but the insurance company will not accept jack stands welded together and ground tied down on the hard....that was our first plan. We thought we could be on the hard a couple of months there and then get splashed and sail around Grenada with an eye to head south if a named storm was on the way. What are others doing to meet insurance companies requirements??
Old 21-02-2015, 17:10   #12

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Our first choice was Trinidad but the insurance company will not accept jack stands welded together and ground tied down on the hard....that was our first plan. We thought we could be on the hard a couple of months there and then get splashed and sail around Grenada with an eye to head south if a named storm was on the way. What are others doing to meet insurance companies requirements??
Pantaenius OK'd it for me. I've done it 2 years now. Ask them.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 17:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Pantaenius OK'd it for me. I've done it 2 years now. Ask them.
PM sent
Old 21-02-2015, 17:27   #14

Boat: Hunter 410

Ditto Lloyds. They don't require a cradle, though we have used one these two years.

jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 15:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsgirl96 View Post
Ditto Lloyds. They don't require a cradle, though we have used one these two years.

Where did you leave your boat?

Tags
men