Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 03:47   #1

Boat: Ovni 445
Marina in Venezuela ?

To dodge the hurricanes I'm thinking about bypassing Trinidad and Tobago and going down to Venezuela to leave the boat there in a safe marina for a few months (July - September). I've heard that it is cheaper and just as safe.

I was hoping that someone has some recommendations for safe places to leave the boat.

If you know of other safe places outside the hurricane area that's both cheap and safe (both are key words), then it would be much appreciated knowledge.
Old 21-01-2009, 03:57   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Andreas,

Noonsite has quite a bit of information on Venezuela.

You probably want to plan on staying south at least through the middle of October, as the probability of hurricanes in the eastern Caribbean is highest from mid-September through mid-October.
Old 21-01-2009, 04:58   #3

Most of the marina choices are in Puerta La Cruz. Bahia Redonda is the choice of most of the American boats - marina has a pool, bar/rest, good showers, nice staff. six channels of cable tv. Also Wi-Fi - used to be free but may now be charged. I understand the rates have recently increased substantially throughout PLC. There have been periodic fuel issues in PLC. Keep well abreast of the current conditons - Ask for recent news on the Safety and Security Nets on 8.104 MHz USB daily at 0815 Altlantic Time

Biggest problem with VE is beating back East to the islands against the current and winds. We enjoyed a full year in VE - lots to do inland ie: Angel Falls, the Amazon Basin, and, the Andes to the west. Make plans for the off shore islands - there is more to do in VE than just hide from the storms..
jan bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 07:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan bogart View Post
Most of the marina choices are in Puerta La Cruz. Bahia Redonda is the choice of most of the American boats.
Where do the Europeans go?

I'm basically looking for a marina I can leave the boat in for about 2 months (July and August), before I return to both explore the inland and the coastline of Venezuela.
Old 21-01-2009, 07:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Andreas,

Noonsite has quite a bit of information on Venezuela.

You probably want to plan on staying south at least through the middle of October, as the probability of hurricanes in the eastern Caribbean is highest from mid-September through mid-October.
Hi Hud,

Thank you. I was able to contact a few marinas through the Noonsite.

I will be staying there longer than the two months, but then I will be on the boat. For July and August I need to leave the boat while I return home. When I return I'll continue cruising around down there, being mindful of the dangers, until I can return North again when the hurricane season is over.
Old 21-01-2009, 08:07   #6

SettingSail - I see you checked the others on Noonsite. The other marinas are generally less expensive than Bahia Redonda - with the exception of MARIMARES - that has been the most expensive - nice hotel type facilities. PMO, Vespuci, seem to have more of the Euro sailors - not big on amenities - all of the above dockage is Med style with ownships tackle out in the channel - (they will foul badly and quickly...) Bahia is all side tie or stern to with side docks. There is one further up-channel from PMO with a travel lift and good workmen - just can't remember the name.

Things to bring to VE that aren't listed in the guide books are: a copy of the dinghy bill of sale, a copy of your outboard bill of sale, and a "dingy driving licence." The canals are heavily patrolled and the Guardia can be very particular on any given day. You must carry this documentation when underway via dinghy - of course, life jackets and a signal device (whistle...) Sometimes the canals are closed to traffic. Enforcement seems to be more strict around holidays - $$$ to bail out the dinghy which will be held by the Guardia personnel.

There is a rundown facility to the East about 30miles - Marina Cumangota located in the city of Cumana. Much cheaper than PLC and "Tony" will greet you and take care of all your paperwork for a reasonable price. Just farther away from a useful airport for your travel.
jan bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 09:02   #7

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I would suggest considering Astillero de Higuerote which is located in Carenero ( N10 31 96 W66 06 55) some 5km from Higuerote. I have my boat there….It is basic, (social frills) but has good security Up to 50 ton lift, local workmen etc., and is and hour and a half from Caracas ( Puerto de La Cruz is 4-5 hours- Although both have good bus connections to Caracas).

The owner’s daughter Yesabeth (who runs the boat yard) speaks English (Tuesday to Sunday) ++58 234 323-0625, 323-0293. Prices here in Venezuela have risen considerably over the past year, but they are cheaper and she is reasonable regarding negotiations (Also state that I Alan Lamb recommended you).

Doug and Wendy (Mustang Sally) members of CF were here recently and they were happy with the experience. ( see their blog) Also Doyles! Google it

One is also pretty well located for Los Roches, Aves etc and the immediate vicinity allows for protected bays to drop anchor and explore at no cost. The Capitain de Puerto Carenero can deal with the paperwork (extension of Permit for the boat etc.)

PM me if you wish further info.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 11:57   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to ernoquic
Bahia Redonda is good

Hello Settingsail2009, we were just anchored behind you with our Catamaran Lagoon 440 TARA.
We came from Bahia Redonda and it was a good marina, beer is verry cheap, canvas work is verry cheap etc etc.
Even the marina prices were verry good.
But don not take money from a cash machine because than you will pay almos a double price.
Pay with american dollars or even with euro's.
A good site for the exanche rate is: Venezuela fx Bolivar-Dollar Swap Exchange Rate

You can even try to go to Bonaire or Curacao.

Best Regards,

Erno & Frieda Straatmann
S/V TARA
ernoquic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 14:22   #9

Buying a catamaran in Venezuela
Does anyone have suggestions as to the proper way of buying a boat that is moored in Cumana, Venezuela, and registered in France?
Some countries charge a tax if a boat is sold in their country.
Are lawyers to be trusted in Venezuela, I would need someone to hold funds in escrow while the registration documents are verified and transferred?
After the scam attempt from Indonesia I am a bit sceptical of FSBO boats.
Cheers, Catman
catman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela