Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 16:39   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Man/Crew Overboard INSTRUCTIONS

A previous thread mentioned that someone had put a set of basic instructions at the helm for his spouse, incase he ever went overboard. I think this is a great idea, as my wife might be somewhat pressed to properly retrieve me in a timely manner if I go over. So... I came up with this. Please feel free to make suggestions, as I just tried to capture what I thought would work best for my wife, given her level of expertise.

Man (Crew) OverboardMOB INSTRUCTIONS

1.) Shout… “MAN OVERBOARD” immediately several times.
2.) DO NOT PANIC… Just follow these instructions.
3.) If there is another crew on board, tell him to spot the MOB and do not take his eyes off the MOB.
4.) On the GPS… press “MARK” and then press “Man Overboard” to mark the Lat./Long of the MOB.
5.) Tell the spotter to continuously point to MOB and tell helmsperson where the MOB is.
6.) Unclip the horseshoe preserver on the stern (starboard side) and throw it overboard toward MOB.
7.) Also throw any other square cushions that are in the cockpit overboard (over the stern).
8.) Turn into the wind and come about (tack)… to turn the boat around and back toward person in the water.
9.) After tacking… Release the Main Sheet and the Genoa Sheet so that both sails luff.
10.) Start the engine and proceed slowly (1500 rpms) going back to the MOB.
11.) Get the VHF radio (Go to Ch. 16); press and hold the speaker button firmly; say “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY.” Then say “Man overboard” (three times). Give the Lat./Long position and describe the general area you are in (e.g. Long Island Sound off Stamford Harbor). Describe the boat - “37 ft. white sailboat.” Then repeat this complete message again and make sure you let go of speaker button so you can hear any responses.
12.) Approach the MOB on the leeward side of the MOB… so the wind is blowing the boat away from MOB.
13.) Slow down and put shifter in neutral well before approaching MOB.
14.) Stay to leeward (downwind) of MOB as you approach him.
15.) Throw a lifeline to MOB and motor around him if necessary so he can grab the line.
16.) Do not get too close to MOB, so the wind or current doesn’t push the boat into MOB.
17.) Lower the ladder off the stern and help MOB into the boat.
18.) After MOB is back in the boat… keep MOB warm with blanket or other wrap.
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:46   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Man/Crew Overboard INSTRUCTIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
A previous thread mentioned that someone had put a set of basic instructions at the helm for his spouse, incase he ever went overboard. I think this is a great idea, as my wife might be somewhat pressed to properly retrieve me in a timely manner if I go over. So... I came up with this. Please feel free to make suggestions, as I just tried to capture what I thought would work best for my wife, given her level of expertise.

Man (Crew) Overboard – MOB INSTRUCTIONS

1.) Shout… “MAN OVERBOARD” immediately several times.
2.) DO NOT PANIC… Just follow these instructions.
3.) If there is another crew on board, tell him to spot the MOB and do not take his eyes off the MOB.
4.) On the GPS… press “MARK” and then press “Man Overboard” to mark the Lat./Long of the MOB.
5.) Tell the spotter to continuously point to MOB and tell helmsperson where the MOB is.
6.) Unclip the horseshoe preserver on the stern (starboard side) and throw it overboard toward MOB.
7.) Also throw any other square cushions that are in the cockpit overboard (over the stern).
8.) Turn into the wind and come about (tack)… to turn the boat around and back toward person in the water.
9.) After tacking… Release the Main Sheet and the Genoa Sheet so that both sails luff.
10.) Start the engine and proceed slowly (1500 rpms) going back to the MOB.
11.) Get the VHF radio (Go to Ch. 16); press and hold the speaker button firmly; say “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY.” Then say “Man overboard” (three times). Give the Lat./Long position and describe the general area you are in (e.g. Long Island Sound off Stamford Harbor). Describe the boat - “37 ft. white sailboat.” Then repeat this complete message again and make sure you let go of speaker button so you can hear any responses.
12.) Approach the MOB on the leeward side of the MOB… so the wind is blowing the boat away from MOB.
13.) Slow down and put shifter in neutral well before approaching MOB.
14.) Stay to leeward (downwind) of MOB as you approach him.
15.) Throw a lifeline to MOB and motor around him if necessary so he can grab the line.
16.) Do not get too close to MOB, so the wind or current doesn’t push the boat into MOB.
17.) Lower the ladder off the stern and help MOB into the boat.
18.) After MOB is back in the boat… keep MOB warm with blanket or other wrap.

I think it's very good and just about anyone with any familiarity at all with your boat could do it.

I would just say one thing, and that would be to push the MOB button first so you have the most accurate location possible.

Just my thought.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:49   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

Nice list! I have at the top of mind to pull the pin on the EPIRB and drop it in so hopefully the MOB can get to it. I feel that will help.
Thanks for sharing i may copy part of it if you do not mind
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:58   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Nice list! I have at the top of mind to pull the pin on the EPIRB and drop it in so hopefully the MOB can get to it. I feel that will help.
Thanks for sharing i may copy part of it if you do not mind

Individual EPIRBS have dropped in price from $360 to around $267 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: ACR PLB-375 ResQLink+ Personal Locating Beacon with 406 MHz Floating PLB, Built-In GPS, Strobe and 121 MHz Homing Beacon: GPS & Navigation

What a great anniversary present -- you each give one to each other, and you're that much more likely to celebrate the next anniversary!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 17:08   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The McMurdo is another great choice at under $250.-
McMurdo FastFind 220 GPS PLB
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 17:11   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

And here is the newest: an AIS tracker for MOB:
McMurdo SmartFind S20 SRS Personal AIS

Other options will follow soon, incl. a "manual" model from McMurdo.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 14:03   #7

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I would throw the horseshoe preserver / lifebuoy to the MOB before going to the GPS: the buoy will help the MOB to stay afloat, that's #1 priority. If I'm alone on deck, I will not even bother with the GPS: manoeuvring close to the MOB is more important.

When briefing my crew on what to do if I fall overboard, I tell them to try at least once to get me before sending a MAYDAY: turning the boat around takes a few seconds but sending a useful message takes about one minute.

IMO, the EPIRB is worthless in such a case: it takes too long for the alert to reach the local MRCC. Then, it takes at least 1/2 hour more (when coastal cruising) to have rescue (vessel / helo) on the area. A PLB with AIS is useful but it should be in the MOB's pocket before falling.

To get the MOB back on board, I prefer to have him/her on the lee side: it's much easier to pass close upwind and IME, the risk of bumping him/her is very small.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard