Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 09:05   #16

Re: Maine Rules for Covid?

Wow, sure didn't take long for a simple, very specific thread topic to be:

and go:

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Talking to a resident on Swan Island,Maine..the Island is closed to non-residents..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:31   #18

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

I don’t get how you ask a political question and don’t want it to get political.

As I read it unless they suspect you of a crime or have a warrant they can’t search your person, thus if you just said “no thanks” to being tested that’s that.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:42   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
I don’t get how you ask a political question and don’t want it to get political.

As I read it unless they suspect you of a crime or have a warrant they can’t search your person, thus if you just said “no thanks” to being tested that’s that.

It is a PRACTICAL question. Not a political one.

Some people on this forum are on boats and visiting various places. We want to plan our trips accordingly so we don’t run into hassles when arriving at a given destination.

Same thing as anchoring laws, customs and visa issues, etc.

There’s nothing political about trying to figure out what to expect when arriving from an offshore passage tired and wanting to rest and take a walk.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Talking to a resident on Swan Island,Maine..the Island is closed to non-residents..
This is exactly the thing I am concerned about. If they don’t want visitors, they will pull up town docks and have the harbor master come shoo you away.

I think we’ll give it another week or two.
Old 21-06-2020, 09:45   #21

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Most places I’ve been in the northeast are open and don’t have quarantine rules in effect. All I’m finding on Maine says it’s got a 14 day quarantine up for travelers except those from NH and VT. Is that accurate??
True OR have a negative Covid test in the last 72 hours. I have not seen any enforcement of any of this though.

Honestly it'll vary. There are the State rules and then there is the "local interpretation" of these rules. A lot of the small Islands will not be welcoming those "from away" as we say here and have closed to everyone except residents. You could live here 20 years and still be considered from away. There was an incident where locals blocked off access to vehicles with out of State plates by felling trees across the road.

Doing an overnight should be fine. The worst that could happen is Fish and Wildlife could tell you not to get off the boat.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It is a PRACTICAL question. Not a political one.

Some people on this forum are on boats and visiting various places. We want to plan our trips accordingly so we don’t run into hassles when arriving at a given destination.

Same thing as anchoring laws, customs and visa issues, etc.

There’s nothing political about trying to figure out what to expect when arriving from an offshore passage tired and wanting to rest and take a walk.
Big difference with customs issues.

But to each their own, as a US citizen in the US if I wanted to sail to Maine I’d just sail to Maine
Old 21-06-2020, 09:53   #23

Thank you. This is what I’m looking for. This is how I imagined it would be.

A lot of my family lives in Maine, but they’re not on the water so they don’t know what’s happening there.

What I don’t want are a lot of hassles ruining the summer. I prefer to have an easy time with absolutely no one coming to the boat for any reason at all. Going ashore for walks (with masks if people nearby).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
True OR have a negative Covid test in the last 72 hours. I have not seen any enforcement of any of this though.

Honestly it'll vary. There are the State rules and then there is the "local interpretation" of these rules. A lot of the small Islands will not be welcoming those "from away" as we say here and have closed to everyone except residents. You could live here 20 years and still be considered from away. There was an incident where locals blocked off access to vehicles with out of State plates by felling trees across the road.

Doing an overnight should be fine. The worst that could happen is Fish and Wildlife could tell you not to get off the boat.
Old 21-06-2020, 10:06   #24

Quote:

.... There was an incident where locals blocked off access to vehicles with out of State plates by felling trees across the road. ....
I hope law enforcement can lock up those people, that’s as dangerous as it is stupid. This is why it’s silly to give in to this hysteria, it only emboldens the weak minded and criminals who go blocking roads, or screaming at mothers taking their kids to a park.
Old 21-06-2020, 10:48   #25

FYI: Hope this information is of assistance. Enjoy your boating.

Links to the near daily Town of Bar Harbor, Maine City Council Updates for Covid 19

Juneteenth:

https://www.barharbormaine.gov/Docum...6_19_20?bidId=

Snipet copied and attached below

Listing of Bar Harbor Updates:

https://www.barharbormaine.gov/469/COVID-19-Updates

State of Maine's official list of FAQ's and Answers:
https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/inf...-questions.pdf

State of Maine's Mandates for Anyone Entering Maine

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/inf...s/travel.shtml

Quarantine

It is mandated that all out-of-state travelers coming into Maine, as well as Maine residents returning to Maine, complete a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. This means:

You need to arrive with enough food for 14 days or arrange to have food delivered to you. You cannot go out to grocery stores.
Stay at home. You cannot go out to public places.
Avoid contact with others, especially those who are at high risk of severe COVID-19 illness.

Negative PCR Test Result

The State will allow adults who obtain and receive a negative COVID-19 PCR test no more than 72 hours before arriving in Maine to forgo the 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Maine. Maine is strongly urging visitors to “Know Before You Go,” meaning they should get tested and receive their test results in their home state before traveling to Maine, which will allow them to take appropriate action depending on the result. If you do not have the test result by the time you arrive, you must quarantine in your lodging until you receive the result. Individuals may be tested upon arrival in Maine as well, but they must quarantine while awaiting the results.

Additionally, the State will exempt residents of New Hampshire and Vermont from the testing and 14-day quarantine requirement altogether because, when adjusted for population, the prevalence of active cases of COVID-19 in these states is similar to that in Maine. This exemption is effective immediately for travel and effective June 12 for stays in lodging establishments.

People who are not residents of Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont and are visiting Maine will be asked to sign a Certificate of Compliance indicating either that they have received a negative COVID-19 test result, that they will quarantine in Maine for 14 days, or that they have already completed their quarantine in Maine. This compliance form must be provided to check-in at all Maine lodging, campgrounds, seasonal rentals, overnight camps, and other commercial lodging, such as Airbnb. Visitors may be asked to furnish proof of the negative test result upon request. It will become effective June 26 when lodging establishments may begin serving residents outside of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

Stages of restarting of Maine:

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine

Stage 2, June

Stage 2 contemplates a continued prohibition on gatherings of more than 50 people and the 14-day quarantine or the alternative set out in the Keep Maine Healthy plan on people entering Maine. All businesses that have been open may remain open. At-risk people should stay home when possible. Employees in legal and professional fields may return to offices, including State employees, as needed.

Openings permitted per checklist standards

Public Gatherings

Large gatherings
Public and community buildings
Museums
Hospitality

Restaurants (Opening for dine-in service in all counties June 17)
Lodging (Open to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont residents. Beginning June 26, open to all other out-of-state residents who meet the requirements of the Keep Maine Healthy plan.

Outdoor recreation

Campgrounds/RV parks (Open to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont residents. Beginning June 26, open to all other out-of-state residents who meet the requirements of the Keep Maine Healthy plan.)
Day camps and summer recreation
State Park Campgrounds
Coastal State Parks, with some services
Community sports
Charter Boats
Personal services

Nail Technicians (Opening for all counties June 17)
Tanning salons
Gyms and Fitness Centers (Opening for all counties June 17)
Retail

All retail businesses

Stage 3, July-August

Stage 3 maintains the prohibition on gatherings of more than 50 people and the 14-day quarantine or the alternative set out in the Keep Maine Healthy plan on people entering Maine. All businesses that have been open may remain open. At-risk people should stay home when possible. Employees in legal and professional fields may return to offices, including State employees, as needed.

Openings permitted per checklist standards

Hospitality

Bars and Tasting Rooms (indoor service)
Outdoor recreation

Overnight charter boats, excursions – fewer than 50 people
Overnight summer Camps
Personal services

Spas
Massage Facilities
Barbering and Cosmetology – Skin
Laser Hair Removal Services, and Similar Personal Care and Treatment Facilities and Services

Testing as an Alternative to Quarantine

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restar...epmainehealthy

Visitors travel to Maine to enjoy our scenery, our outdoors, our restaurants, and our stores. They neither want to quarantine upon arrival nor want to risk their own health when venturing out in places with visitors from across the nation. The same holds true for people with second homes in Maine or Mainers whose work takes them out of state for periods of time.

Under Keep Maine Healthy,

The State will allow adults who obtain and receive a negative COVID-19 test from a specimen taken no longer than 72 hours prior to arrival to forgo the 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Maine. This test indicates that, even when coming from areas with a higher prevalence of the disease than Maine’s, such visitors are unlikely to have COVID-19 and to spread it to Maine residents and other visitors. Individuals may be tested in Maine, but they must quarantine while awaiting the results.

Maine is strongly urging visitors to “Know Before You Go,” and be tested and receive results in their home state before traveling to Maine, which will allow them to take appropriate action depending on the result. Websites like Get Tested COVID-19 show local testing options nationwide.

The State will exempt residents of New Hampshire and Vermont from the testing and 14-day quarantine requirement altogether, effective immediately for travel and effective June 12 for stays in lodging establishments. When adjusted for population, the prevalence of active cases of COVID-19 in these states is similar to that in Maine. There is no other state with as low a prevalence of COVID-19 within a 12-hour drive. The State will continue to evaluate possible additional exemptions based on trends in other states.

People who are not Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont residents must complete a Certificate of Compliance form indicating they have received a negative COVID-19 test result, that they will quarantine in Maine for 14 days, or that they have already completed their quarantine in Maine.
This Certificate of Compliance must be provided to check-in at all Maine lodging, campgrounds, seasonal rentals, and other commercial lodging, such as Airbnb. Visitors may be asked to furnish proof of the negative test result upon request.

This will become effective June 26, when lodging establishments may begin serving residents outside of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Signing a compliance form in order to stay in lodging establishments is also a policy employed by both the States of New Hampshire and Vermont.

The Department of Economic and Community Development will work closely with lodging establishments to communicate the State’s new alternative to quarantine through reservations, which must be taken this summer, and work to advance the message of “Know Before You Go” urging people to be tested at their point of origin through reminders to guests.

The State’s newly-announced standing order –which allows for most individuals in Maine with elevated risk of exposure to get tested without an order from their own primary care provider – coupled with enhanced testing capacity in July resulting from an agreement with IDEXX, will support testing of tourism workers in Maine and serve as a back-up option for tourists who cannot be tested at home and commit to quarantining in Maine while awaiting results.

INTERPRETATION OF COVID-19 TEST RESULTS FOR TRAVELERS TO MAINE (JUNE 9, 2020)

I. Introduction
This document is intended to assist individuals who may be traveling to the State of Maine in interpreting their laboratory tests for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Pursuant to a recent Executive Order from Governor Janet Mills, individuals must attest to having received a negative test for COVID-19 on a specimen taken within 72 hours of their arrival.
There are two kinds of tests available for COVID-19: viral tests and antibody tests. A viral test tells you if you have a current infection. An antibody test tells you if you had a previous infection. An antibody test may not be able to show if you have a current infection, because it can take 1-3 weeks after infection to make antibodies. We do not know yet if having antibodies to the virus can protect someone from getting infected with the virus again, or how long that protection might last. As a result, the State of Maine requires a viral test, also known as a “PCR test”, prior to arrival or upon arrival with an agreement to quarantine pending test results. A point-of-care test such as that performed on the ID NOW machine may also be used, although the PCR test is strongly preferred. A negative antibody test is not acceptable at this time. Viral tests are typically performed on respiratory specimens such as nasal swabs or throat swabs. They test for the presence of the virus, usually by testing for the virus’s RNA.
. . . Further reference link: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/inf...t-06092020.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Harbor Covid 19.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	217801  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
Where are the admins who shouldn't let a real question devolve into politics?
I agree. He should have had his posts removed.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:45   #27

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
“Amendment 4
- Protection from Unreasonable Searches and Seizures

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized.”

What crime to they suspect you of committing?
Hey, give it a rest.
If you are so determined to protest a simple question, go to Washington DC and protest everything...just get off this group.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:46   #28

Boat: Southerly 57

I also agree. I am withholding my comments as they wouldn’t be nice and get me in trouble. Just remove the posts please.

On state rules - pretty much every state and country has all the rules listed on their websites. It’s as easy to type in Maine Covid as come here to search. Then you avoid the ignorant and get the most up to date rules as well.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:55   #29

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Chotu: Anything North of Portland should be close to zero Covid risk, The most numerous cases are Cumberland and York Counties, i.e Portland, Wells, Kennebunk, York, etc... Rockland and Damariscotta and North maybe as close to Covid free as you could get. Most restaurants are open for Take Out. I doubt anyone would hassle you for coming ashore and strolling around as long as you have a mask. Yes Mainers recommend mask wearing in public. While we all appreciate your right to infect anyone we here in Maine would prefer (and technically now legally require) you to wear a mask anyplace public where you may not be able to maintain proper social distancing. Come on up.

NorthernMac. We all woke up in a free Country. But you can't yell fire in a crowded theater and have it covered by the 4th amendment. While I appreciate you think you are free to infect anyone you want if you don't wear a mask in Maine you may find a lot of places closed to you. You can wear a mask and then take it off once inside the store but you may have to deal with people not agreeing with your decisions. When in Rome....

Please start your own thread instead of taking this one sideways. The OP is I believe looking for advice and information on Maine not necessarily what your political views may be.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 13:03   #30

Quote:
Chotu: Anything North of Portland should be close to zero Covid risk, The most numerous cases are Cumberland and York Counties, i.e Portland, Wells, Kennebunk, York, etc... Rockland and Damariscotta and North maybe as close to Covid free as you could get. Most restaurants are open for Take Out. I doubt anyone would hassle you for coming ashore and strolling around as long as you have a mask. Yes Mainers recommend mask wearing in public. While we all appreciate your right to infect anyone we here in Maine would prefer (and technically now legally require) you to wear a mask anyplace public where you may not be able to maintain proper social distancing. Come on up.

NorthernMac. We all woke up in a free Country. But you can't yell fire in a crowded theater and have it covered by the 4th amendment. While I appreciate you think you are free to infect anyone you want if you don't wear a mask in Maine you may find a lot of places closed to you. You can wear a mask and then take it off once inside the store but you may have to deal with people not agreeing with your decisions. When in Rome....

Please start your own thread instead of taking this one sideways. The OP is I believe looking for advice and information on Maine not necessarily what your political views may be.
I did not realize sailors were so...sensitive

Simply posted the ultimate rule of the land, that’s the alpha and omega.

*it’s also really hard to “infect” people when you’re not sick

Tags
maine, rule