Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: MAIB report on grounding of cargo vessel Priscilla

Sigh... nothing new here..... all the way back to the Malaysian box boat in the barrier reef years ago... 2/0 on phone....to the Venezualian 747 on final approach to Madrid in the early 70's... pilot discussing his marital problems with the first officer.....
Last words on the black box..... 'pull up... too low... pull up... too low!'....'shut up gringo........'

What it would be to live in a perfect world.....
Old 06-10-2019, 06:22   #17
mgh

Boat: Swan 38

I agree El Pinguino, nothing new in the sense that distracted operators have always been around.

What I think is new is that the opportunities for distraction on the bridge of these ships have increased a lot - access to internet, handheld devices, nice ergonomic chairs, etc.

All the more reason not to assume that there is someone actually paying attention and that they know what they are doing.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 18:43   #18

The introduction of ECDIS, electronic displays and control panels and the elimination of paper charts and manual plotting has changed watchkeeping forever..... not totally for the better, the loss of truly effective night vision is just one of the drawbacks. The masters standing orders once included putting a fix on the paper chart every 30 minutes making it hard for the watch to be asleep undetected for more than 30 mins. This system also had the advantage of increasing situational awareness.
Departure from ECDIS standard procedures result in the grounding of a similar vessel in UK waters and the MAIB found 3,000 muted alarms in the memory including a host of them directly related to the grounding. The on board tinkerer with things electronic had disabled almost all the alarms because they were "distracting"
There will always be bad watchkeepers and the duty of the master is to instill a sense of accountability and personal responsibility in his crew..... or dismiss them.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:03   #19

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Departure from ECDIS standard procedures result in the grounding of a similar vessel in UK waters and the MAIB found 3,000 muted alarms in the memory including a host of them directly related to the grounding. The on board tinkerer with things electronic had disabled almost all the alarms because they were "distracting"

In fairness it can be hard to be effective with some stupid alarm pounding away in your brain. Recreational boaters don't make this any easier. I can think of a number of ports where the AIS transmitted by recreational boats in their slips generates alarm after alarm. The time requirement and distraction of poking that button over and over will drive you mad and take your attention away from maintaining situational awareness. I usually just set the alarm radius to 0 in those situations.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:50   #20
mgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
In fairness it can be hard to be effective with some stupid alarm pounding away in your brain. Recreational boaters don't make this any easier. I can think of a number of ports where the AIS transmitted by recreational boats in their slips generates alarm after alarm. The time requirement and distraction of poking that button over and over will drive you mad and take your attention away from maintaining situational awareness. I usually just set the alarm radius to 0 in those situations.
I suspect virtually everyone does the same. In areas of high AIS density, my alarm is off unless it's nighttime or if there is fog. Partly to avoid the annoying alarms, but primarily because so many other boats will not even have AIS, and visual awareness is the most effective tool.

For large commercial vessels, my concern is actually offshore, where inattentiveness is more likely. And once they get close inshore, I basically think of them as the stand-on vessel.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:04   #21

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

I suspect virtually everyone does the same. In areas of high AIS density, my alarm is off unless it's nighttime or if there is fog. Partly to avoid the annoying alarms, but primarily because so many other boats will not even have AIS, and visual awareness is the most effective tool.

For large commercial vessels, my concern is actually offshore, where inattentiveness is more likely. And once they get close inshore, I basically think of them as the stand-on vessel.

I agree with your statements.

Recreational boats as a group make AIS less effective as a system by transmitting in their slips.

Offshore I don't want to miss anything so AIS and radar are a real aid.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15   #22

Effective filters on AIS equipment allows one to not get alarms from not moving vessels. Vesper equipment has these filters. Do all makes have filters?
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 17:25   #23

The ECDIS usage requirement on ships has far reaching legal consequences. The bridge standing orders very clearly define ECDIS settings as far as CPA, XTE , depth and UKC and a ship grounding has far reaching consequences regarding loss of lives and Marpol.
Disabling alarms (as opposed to muting temporarily) is not encouraged. See the MAIB MV Muros report for an incident caused solely by bad ECDIS usage
Watch keeping alarms on a 3 to 5 minute cycle are one of the best but most annoying methods of keeping the watch awake, usually the cancel button is far from the watch seat so one has to walk across to it.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:50   #24
mgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
The ECDIS usage requirement on ships has far reaching legal consequences. The bridge standing orders very clearly define ECDIS settings as far as CPA, XTE , depth and UKC and a ship grounding has far reaching consequences regarding loss of lives and Marpol.
Disabling alarms (as opposed to muting temporarily) is not encouraged. See the MAIB MV Muros report for an incident caused solely by bad ECDIS usage
Watch keeping alarms on a 3 to 5 minute cycle are one of the best but most annoying methods of keeping the watch awake, usually the cancel button is far from the watch seat so one has to walk across to it.

Interestingly, the MAIB report makes no mention of an ECDIS XTE alarm at any point. In the time after the officer switched from "track" to "auto", it looks like it went as much as 2.5 nm off the planned track. On the other hand, an alarm for crossing into shallow water (<10m) was noted.

Tags
grass