Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 20:17   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
re: Made it to San Fran. Is it to late ?

+1 from senormechanico... been there done it many times and feel that the two of you should run for the border from SF and keep going around the Baja. It's downhill all the way! Spend the winter down there, get to know the locals, the language and continue to develop your love of your vessel and the sea. You can live cheap on the hook and leave her down south in La Paz or San Carlos as senormechanico suggests. If you don't do it, you will forever wish you did. Just my opinion... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 06:55   #17

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Don't stop now, you just got going. Obviously you've been planning this trip for a while, so to end it after the toughest passage shouldn't be an option. Look at it as a great accomplishment, take sometime and enjoy SF, and then get your ass to Mexico and live the dream you've been fantasying about.

Get the mrs on the boat and enjoy yourselves. 1 life to live.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:43   #18

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Made it to San Fran. Is it to late ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Don't stop now, you just got going. Obviously you've been planning this trip for a while, so to end it after the toughest passage shouldn't be an option. Get the mrs on the boat and enjoy yourselves. 1 life to live.
I would agree. I sold the big boat due to costs. I miss her and now I mostly sail alone. I'd encourage you to keep the boat you have and find a way to enjoy her where she is and further south.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 13:11   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Made it to San Fran. Is it to late ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Why not relax for a few weeks, maybe spend some time home with the wife and then make a decision. When you are tired and feeling a little beat up isn't the time to make a decision of this magnitude, IMHO.
Exactly what I was thinking. There are many among us here that have felt exactly as LucusM has. A long, cold and lonely passage only to be in a foreign place with no loving family to do things with. If it were me, I would do as DeepFrz has suggested. Walk away from the boat for a month and allow emotions to settle down. Later, go to Mexico and anchor out with like minded voyagers. Do it with your wife. Take life a day at a time. Projecting lifes options is like a little tiny bullet in a little tiny gun that we continuously shoot ourselves with.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote