Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 18:05   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter
Re: Lost newbie needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
+1

They have a large inventory and are very knowledgeable.
Old 28-07-2020, 18:42   #17

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Minney's prices seem better to me. They recently cleared out a bunch of old inventory, don't know where it went.
Forget recutting a used sail, unless you are DIY, it rarely makes economic sense.

I doubt they will fit, but I have a 110 and a 150 hank on for my boat that are in great shape. PM me with your luff measurement and I will check. Get a 50 foot tape measure, attach to the halyard, hoist it all the way up and measure to the fitting on the stem where the sail attaches. Use a second line (called a downhaul) on the halyard to retrieve the halyard without pulling too hard on the tape measure.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 19:22   #18

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

First get a 50' tape and hoist it up the jib and main halyard and the boom from the tack pin to the outhaul car. You need to know the real hoist of any masthead sail that will go on your boat.

I'd look for a 130% Genoa. It's an all purpose sail that will give you some drive in lighter conditions up into windspeed in the teens. You are more likely to find a 100% jib unless you are in a high wind area like SF Bay as most boats just don't get used that much when the wind is kicking up. In lighter air a 100% jib will be a slug leaving you wallowing.

For the main, it will have to fit the track or extruded slot on your mast and/or boom. You could change the slugs but that's a lot of handwork and you'd need to read up on how to attach them.
roverhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 22:53   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I am really curious as to what you typed in when doing a search on Google ? If you type in “used sails” you get all of the sites being recommended here plus more. Atlantic has a ton of used sails for instance. Personally if I were you I would give Atlantic a call and I bet they would know what sails fit your boat. In the meantime use the internet for information, it is your friend. I guarantee you that the internet has all kinds of information about sails; their function, measurement, even Columbia 36 sail measurements.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 19:22   #20

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I am really curious as to what you typed in when doing a search on Google ? If you type in “used sails” you get all of the sites being recommended here plus more. Atlantic has a ton of used sails for instance. Personally if I were you I would give Atlantic a call and I bet they would know what sails fit your boat. In the meantime use the internet for information, it is your friend. I guarantee you that the internet has all kinds of information about sails; their function, measurement, even Columbia 36 sail measurements.
This "internet" that you speak of, is it the same internet that I used to post questions on cruisersforum.com? Maybe the same internet that is home to sailboatdata.com, which is where I got the measurements that I mentioned in my original post? Is it, in fact, the same internet that I am on right now, responding to your post? Please, tell me more about this mysterious internet.
jaxmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 19:25   #21

Thanks to everyone for the info. I will be heading to the marina tomorrow to get proper measurements as many of you advised, rather than just going of the original sail plan listed on sailboatdata and other sites.
Cheers and safe sailing to all!
Old 29-07-2020, 21:51   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, thanks to you I may be getting myself another sail! This time from Atlantic!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 05:12   #23

Enjoy!
Old 30-07-2020, 07:09   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmariner View Post
This "internet" that you speak of, is it the same internet that I used to post questions on cruisersforum.com? Maybe the same internet that is home to sailboatdata.com, which is where I got the measurements that I mentioned in my original post? Is it, in fact, the same internet that I am on right now, responding to your post? Please, tell me more about this mysterious internet.
I was just replying to your statement that you had “ no luck in finding used sails on this Forum or with Google”. I said do a search on Google for used sails. Seems pretty straightforward to me. I once was once looking for a used sail myself, Google helped me out. No malice intended.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 21:10   #25

I was on a sailing facebook group a few weeks ago and someone offered up a FREE sail for my boat, I just paid $15 shipping. It's a lightweight sail and only about a 95% jib. But I used it the other day and it worked great. If it shredded after one day it would have been worth it. I suspect the owner lived in a light wind area and it was doing them no good so they offered it up. I think it should last me a good year. at least All for $15...
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 17:48   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31

Boaters resale shop of texas has a nice online inventory www.boatersresaleshopoftexas
TheSarahTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:02   #27

Boat: Macgregor 26S
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

If you have the money, go for a roller furling, then you can utilize a larger sail and only roll out the amount you want/need for the wind. The thing is with wind, it changes often and can surprise you, so having the ability to roll it out/in at a moments notice is very comforting.
I have roller furling and it is the best sail on my boat. The main can be a challenge in a stiff breeze. I would love to have a roller main as well one day, but I think not on this boat.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:16   #28

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Several used sail sites are noted. I know there are several more.

I suggest you have a sail loft send a sailmaker to look you over. They may be able to help you find used stuff that they can modify. Occasionally, you can run into a new sail rejected. If you pick a used sail and then deliver it to the loft you may find that it cannot be made to suit. Certain modifications are doable, others will make the sail a mess.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost