Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 13:32   #1

Lost

ok, so i'm totally new to any of this, i'm from texas, ive been wanting a sailboat for ever, and i'm gonna get one fairly soon, but my questions are, you have to have a permit to sail in the caribeans, bahamas,??
another thing is since i would be a "shoestring sailer" you couldnt just pull up close to a beach and anchor out, or would you get run off??

also dont know where i heard, but whats the deal about if you leave your boat in the water, someone can go aboard and take it,?? legally,

i do have plenty of questions , so ive been trying to find answers by going back and reading othere threads, but, dont worry i will have more questions,
cburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 14:06   #2

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburks View Post
ok, so i'm totally new to any of this, i'm from texas, ive been wanting a sailboat for ever, and i'm gonna get one fairly soon, but my questions are, you have to have a permit to sail in the caribeans, bahamas,??
another thing is since i would be a "shoestring sailer" you couldnt just pull up close to a beach and anchor out, or would you get run off??

also dont know where i heard, but whats the deal about if you leave your boat in the water, someone can go aboard and take it,?? legally,

i do have plenty of questions , so ive been trying to find answers by going back and reading othere threads, but, dont worry i will have more questions,
1. For the countries I sailed a entry fee is charged, and a sailing permit needed. The Bahamas has a $300 entry fee I think. You'd need to know the proper places to check in and pay the fee in each country or risk being hassled or jailed by the local security forces.

2. If it looks abandoned, it could be salvaged.

3. Welcome to the Cruisers Forum, some of your questions have been asked before. You could try searching the forum, before asking any question to see if its already answered.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 14:09   #3

ok thanks, yea i'm tryin, just tryin to figure out the site ,too , not real good on computers
Old 17-08-2012, 14:36   #4

*Many places are not as expensive as the Bahamas.... at least they werent a short time ago. So you pretty much average the costs to legally check in and it's not too bad. *Unless it's a private island etc, there are thousands of places from Florida to Trinidad where you can just anchor off, or pull onto the beach.
*Unless your boat is abandoned, or left on it's own withut arrangements, someone taking it would be theft.
It's never as bad as all the hoopla you hear....

People keep saying to "search your subject" on this forum, but's it a dead end everytime I've tried it. If I search for dingies, I get everything from GPS to anchors.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 15:45   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Use the Google search function, not the regular one.
See screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Search Function 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	45069  
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 16:02   #6

That helps! (Although searching under "permit to sail" i didnt turn up this discussion in 4 pages!) still, it gives you lots of options and a quick view, that are more to the point than the CF search. Thanks mucho....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 16:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cburks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That helps! (Although searching under "permit to sail" i didnt turn up this discussion in 4 pages!) ...
Search "cruising permit" + your desired jurisdiction.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 17:19   #8

thank you , the google search part worked, now i need to get to more searches, thank you all
Old 17-08-2012, 18:03   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Where in Texas? There are a lot of us in the Kemah/Seabrook/League City/south Houston area........
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:08   #10

Way northwest of there. I just got hired with a company where I can transfer down there. After the new year will be heading south and will begin my journey.

Tags
lost