Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 18:18   #61

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Loss of the RedSky

Thank you for posting the explanation and the photos, Moody Mike.

Looking back, what have you learned and what would you do differently? For example, if you were operating radar with a guard-zone, might that have helped? Please understand that I mean in no way to criticize -- rather that I'm hoping that there can be some useful lessons learned.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 18:28   #62

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Thank you for posting the explanation and the photos, Moody Mike.

Looking back, what have you learned and what would you do differently? For example, if you were operating radar with a guard-zone, might that have helped? Please understand that I mean in no way to criticize -- rather that I'm hoping that there can be some useful lessons learned.
We had the radar with 3nm guard zone on. These buoys don't have a radar amplifier on them and are made of Rota molded plastic and in a 3m swell it didn't pick it up. Although it picks up sea birds circling the boat. The buoy may have even been under water the East Coat current rages at 4 knots past Byron the most Easterly point of Australia.
In future I will have an engine mounted bilge pump something that can shift a lot of water quickly. I believe that the investigation will probably make recommendations as well but I won't preempt there findings. On another note don't ever put to sea without full,insurance cover . We were underinsured and on our way to Sydney for a revaluation .
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 19:14   #63

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
We had the radar with 3nm guard zone on. These buoys don't have a radar amplifier on them and are made of Rota molded plastic and in a 3m swell it didn't pick it up. Although it picks up sea birds circling the boat. The buoy may have even been under water the East Coat current rages at 4 knots past Byron the most Easterly point of Australia.
In future I will have an engine mounted bilge pump something that can shift a lot of water quickly. I believe that the investigation will probably make recommendations as well but I won't preempt there findings. On another note don't ever put to sea without full,insurance cover . We were underinsured and on our way to Sydney for a revaluation .
Mike
I'm rather amazed, given the damage & the amount of water coming into the boat, that she survived at all. Any evidence or speculation as to why she didn't just sink?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 23:13   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
A chilling story! We're all very glad to hear that you and your family got off safely.

Your story will accelerate my plan to acquire a good crash pump (230 volt Honda construction site trash pump).
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 01:29   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Loss of the RedSky

Bumma... sad to hear... hope things come good in the end..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 01:40   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A chilling story! We're all very glad to hear that you and your family got off safely.

Your story will accelerate my plan to acquire a good crash pump (230 volt Honda construction site trash pump).
I had a 9.5 Kva generator and could have run a couple of big electric submersabils .
Old 19-01-2015, 03:10   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.
Thanks for sharing your harrowing & painfull experience with us.

Is there any chance that some liability might eventually attach to Manly Hydraulics?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 03:21   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.
Thanks for sharing your harrowing & painfull experience with us.

Is there any chance that some liability might eventually attach to Manly Hydraulics?
I certainly hope so I have engaged the best maritime legal firm in Sydney.
Old 19-01-2015, 03:24   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I have written an article for the Moody owners magazine I will see if I can cut and paste it here.
Mike
Old 19-01-2015, 08:10   #70

Just a real good case of bad luck, hope you are able to make a decent financial recovery in the end. I look forward to reading your story.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:10   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
I have written an article for the Moody owners magazine I will see if I can cut and paste it here.
Mike
Moody Mike, thanks for your posts so far. FWIW, I, too, would be quite interested to read what you wrote to the Moody owners' magazine. Thanks in advance for posting it here.

Ann
Old 19-01-2015, 14:30   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My curiosity lead me to doing some research on the FADs (Fish Aggregation Devices).

Here are a few facts I found and citations to the sources. I am sharing it here on the forum because these FAD devices are numerous and widespread in use (coastal and open ocean) and obviously could pose a difficult to see risk to sailboats. The loss of RedSky shows what could happen.

Estimating the Use of Drifting Fish Aggregation Devices (FADs) Around the Globe
http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/leg...ort1212pdf.pdf

"This resulted in an estimate of approximately 105,000 drifting FADs.
The estimated range of 47,000 to 105,000 drifting FADs proffers a good indicator of the overall magnitude of their use.

Not all FADs deployed are monitored. FADs are regularly lost or abandoned or drift out of the fishing area and must be replaced.

What we can say with certainty is that tens of thousands of FADs are deployed in the world’s oceans every year in a non-transparent manner.

The Pew Environment Group conducted the first-ever study to establish a global estimate of annual FAD deployment. This was developed using three separate methods, which yielded an estimate of between 47,000 and 105,000 drifting FADs being deployed each year.

While none of the methods are perfect, they do demonstrate the magnitude of the usage of FADs as well as their potential contribution to the problem of marine debris.

Wikipedia
Fish aggregating device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drifting FADs are widespread in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian ocean purse seine fisheries. They catch over 1 million tons of tuna...

The U.S. state of Hawaiʻi operates 55 surface FADs around its islands to support sport fishing and marine research.

NOTE: The surface buoy design for the 55 FADs around Hawaii shows 2,200 pounds of chain and concrete anchors on the bottom for each buoy.

From the reading I did, it appears that the open ocean use by the purse seining fishing industry is growing in use. I recall the Pew report saying that a single fishing boat may deploy 100 drifting FADs.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 02:21   #73

In addendum well we finally found out it wasn't a fad but a wave recorder buoy. An investigation by the NSW Govt into another branch of the NSW Govt found nothing to report. How surprising ! The next piece of this story is about our looted personal items. We were told by the salvage crew and Nautilus insurance that most of our valuable personal possessions has been looted. Well i didn't know any better until I started to receive information from reliable sources that the looters were in fact the salvage crew. The proprietors of a well known North Coast slipway were running around in my Gill wet weather gear. My boats batteries had moved to their yachts ,my wife's sewing machine into his wife's sewing room. My tools had passed onto his son and my god knows what else they had kept. All we got back were some clothes. They destroyed the yacht in the salvage process by pushing and puling it with 2 dozers. Nautilus paid out our underinsured amount very quickly then wiped us they wouldn't return our calls or emails. Up until today that is because i went to the Police and reported the theft and showed the police the correspondence sent to me by other yachties disgusted by the blatant theft of my gear. I hope that the guilty get a jail term and i get all my stuff back especially my tools which i have been collecting over my entire life. Be very wary of who you insure your boat with its not the premium that matters its the claim process. Thats where insurance companies are judged all i got from these guys was spin no plane talk the claims guy sounded like a fresh out of uni lawyer . They were not very helpful at all and to top it off they contracted a ****** to salvage my boat. Im not happy if ever their was a 60 mins story then its this one.
Mikke

Moody Mike
Old 18-02-2015, 02:51   #74

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

" Im not happy if ever their was a 60 mins story then its this one.
Mikke "

Make an excellent 60min/current affair story if you don't get satisfaction.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 02:55   #75

Very unfortunate outcome, you have my condolences
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote