Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 08:45   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Looking for Strategy Input With Boat Options (trying to regroup)

Ok, I've finally come to the realization that I can't personally finish my catamaran given that I can't go anywhere near the materials anymore. (Severe epoxy allergy)

I have some options to consider and maybe there are other options I'm not thinking of.

I'm looking for general advice here. Open to all ideas and brainstorming. You never know. Something might work.

Here are the choices I seem to have:

1) Sell the hull and take a huge loss, also selling a monohull I have, then try to find a good, fast global cruising catamaran for sale that will accept owner financing with a big downpayment. This would actually be ideal, but the boat wouldn't be as good as this one.

In the owner financing case, I'd be willing to keep the boat between Florida and Maine only, have them install GPS tracking and be willing to show pictures of the boat, the location and whatever else they wanted over the phone at any time they wanted.

2) Hire a work crew with a crew leader and actively manage the boat project, working nearly full time supplying them with materials, instructions, etc. And also working full time to support this situation financially. (also selling monohull) . This is mostly fussy interior finish work. Lots of potential to go wrong with people screwing things up and damaging things as they work.

3) Mothball the boat and let it decay while waiting for a recession to hit so some of the custom boat builders need work in Florida. I've tried: BoatSmith from the forum, Colin Mack, a woman who works out of Cracker Boy I'm forgetting the name of, Riian Mondrian. Can't seem to get any of them to bite on the project.

4) Just give up on boats all together, admit defeat and get an RV to at least have some fun. But we all know that's no fun in comparison.

A difficult thing to face, but I have to face it. I can no longer personally build any boats.

NOTE: I cannot live on boats with any mold either due to allergic asthma with that too, which is yet another reason this catamaran is right. It's all white surfaces that can be cleaned up at the first sign of any mold. No liners, wall treatments or other places for mold to hide. I also can't be outdoors all the time in populated areas. As the particulates rise above "moderate" levels, I start to have breathing problems as well. I have to go inside with air conditioning in those cases or wear a mask if outside. The air conditioning seems to scrub the air well enough.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:46   #2

Re: Looking for Strategy Input With Boat Options (trying to regroup)

Also, girlfriend is not really down with the monohulls. Those are a no-go so far.
Old 24-02-2020, 08:47   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

I like number 2.
Spend the time to find dedicated workers who will follow your instructions to the letter.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:53   #4

First, take a breath. It's going to be OK, no matter what. Monohulls not an option, got it.

Second, what parts of the labor are off-limits for you? What's the cost to complete on your current boat, using paid labor? Have you divided out the parts that you can and can't do yourself? It may be that you can do more than you realize yourself, just not the malodorous bits.

The next step is to figure out if you can save your current project, and that's all about costs, relative to acquiring another suitable boat.

My first reaction is that I like option #2 - you get exactly what you want, how you want it. The question mark is over the costs.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 09:23   #5

Thanks for the input so far! Love it.
Old 24-02-2020, 09:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
First, take a breath. It's going to be OK, no matter what. Monohulls not an option, got it.

Second, what parts of the labor are off-limits for you? What's the cost to complete on your current boat, using paid labor? Have you divided out the parts that you can and can't do yourself? It may be that you can do more than you realize yourself, just not the malodorous bits.

The next step is to figure out if you can save your current project, and that's all about costs, relative to acquiring another suitable boat.

My first reaction is that I like option #2 - you get exactly what you want, how you want it. The question mark is over the costs.

I'd love a monohull, but it's off the table. Yes.

The cost to complete the boat using paid labor is an unknown. $120k? Spread over time.

The parts I can't do are: Anything involving using epoxy or sanding cured epoxy. The hull is 100% cured epoxy which gives me no problems. If I come aboard with any dust or touch some wet hardener left by someone being careless and tracking it around, it's an anaphylactic reaction. Somewhat life threatening. So, after all epoxy work on the boat it has to be scrubbed with vinegar and washed entirely inside.

All sanding is something I need to outsource as it's well worth the cost given the hours That go into it.

So true epoxy stuff would be...

Fitting out components, electrical, plumbing, etc... I can do all of that. I could even build the cabinets without using epoxy but by the time there is a crew it's probably a better use of my time to work and pay them to do the same.

We have been leaning toward #2 also, with my girlfriend going inside to inspect work.

Also, I have to wait about a year to be in a placethat has fresh epoxy work done in large quantities.
Old 24-02-2020, 10:07   #7

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

The yachtall website has an envision 900 aluminum cat for 59k €
Just saying......
Old 24-02-2020, 10:30   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Ship it to Mexico and hire a surveyor to supervise the project
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Also, girlfriend is not really down with the monohulls. Those are a no-go so far.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 11:03   #9

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Bill
+1 for this. It is really #2 but in a different location - there could be significant cost savings to doing it in another location other then Florida.

Is Florida the only location you can work, or are you mobile? You could set up shop temporarily near the boat if you are working mostly online
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 11:10   #10

What's left to do?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 11:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Bill
First Chotu, I really feel your pain. Although I didn't have the physical reaction issues you do, my Willard 36 trawler had deteriorated over the years due to change of life that I was faced with a similar dilemma: I didn't think it was sell-able so had to do something, and abandonment was on-the-table.

Boat was in San Francisco. I ended up spending a fair amount of money to get her into shape where she could make it 500 nms south to Ensenada on her own bottom, which ended up being a great trip (75 hours non-stop, around 6-1/4 kts average).

Labor rate for general fiberglass work and carpentry work is in the $17-$20/hr range for a large project. I am quite satisfied in managing it remotely with plenty of sketches and check-in calls.

I was going to ship the finished boat from Ensenada to Florida, but my wife and I have decided to just spend the time and take her on her own bottom. Quote I had was $16k from Ensenada to West Palm FL (I think). I understand negotiation gets that down a bit.

Good luck!

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 12:02   #12

Are there any technical or community colleges near you that have degrees/certificates in boat building? If so, could you hire some of their graduates or maybe even students to work on the parts of the boat you cannot touch?

There is at least one NC community or technical college that has boat building programs. There might be others in different states.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 12:16   #13

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

Quote:
I'd love a monohull, but it's off the table. Yes.

The cost to complete the boat using paid labor is an unknown. $120k? Spread over time.

The parts I can't do are: Anything involving using epoxy or sanding cured epoxy. The hull is 100% cured epoxy which gives me no problems. If I come aboard with any dust or touch some wet hardener left by someone being careless and tracking it around, it's an anaphylactic reaction. Somewhat life threatening. So, after all epoxy work on the boat it has to be scrubbed with vinegar and washed entirely inside.

Also, I have to wait about a year to be in a placethat has fresh epoxy work done in large quantities.

Have you checked out vinylester resin?
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 12:26   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Thanks for the input so far! Love it.
Sounds like hiring out any remaining epoxy work would be the way to go. Once it cures just finish the boat the way you had originally planned. It's going to cost more (you didn't mention how much epoxy work is left) but it's sure to be cheaper than abandoning your project.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 12:27   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wow, Chotu, what a kick in the arse.

Mexico, I keep a boat in San Carlos, Sonora. Transporting a large cat to Ensenada will be interesting financially. Doable. I love Mexico and the Sea of Cortez. I spent 6 months in Napa rebuilding a Sharpie and still not done. She sits on a trailer.

What I want to say is specific to my location in Mexico. It is very difficult to get stuff done. No one shows up at agreed upon times. They might show up hours to days later than agreed upon. Hard to find people with the work skills necessary. Language can be an issue. Sourcing products is extremely frustrating. Importation of items can be expensive and rules change frequently depending even on people you consider reliable. It is a cultural thing in some respects. Even the good marine technicians are torn a thousand ways from Sunday because they have skill and are English proficient. Everyone wants a piece of them. In the boatyard I was paying 40 bucks an hour and he would constantly have other boat owners hacking him ( on my dime) for info or what to do.

I do not try to discourage you. I just spent a month there and was so frustrated. They don’t call to tell you they will be late. They rarely answer phone calls what’s app, or emails.

As far as Ensenada ... I know nothing. But sea of Cortez... San Carlos... it is about 6 hour drive to Tucson... living is cheap and the people are wonderfull. Love it there. But a big build... I would have a nervous breakdown. It is really more for the power boat rich Mexican guys.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat