Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 11:18   #1

Looking for second boat 25ft range, need advice

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area. I realize this is probably a common post.

I've been sailing small boats since the 90s, my last boat was a 17' American Fiberglass "2 plus 2". It had some cabin space, but camping in it was completely impractical. Really it was a horrible boat.. designed by non-sailers and there were many design flaws which made it no fun to sail.

I've since sold it hoping for something more sea worthy.

I'm in west central FL, and I'd like to do some coastal cruising so a galley, bunks, electrical system, and some sort of head are mandatory. The longest trip from shore I can picture is from the east coast to the Bahamas, with most trips being up or down the coast or to the keys. Mostly shallow water.

I think something in the 25' range with a swing keel would be about the right size for my next step in experience. I like the idea of being able to pull the boat out on a trailer when the hurricanes roll thru, or when I run into financial hardship and can't make my slip fees or need to do major repairs and funds aren't available. Also, when I screw up an run aground, maybe easier for me to deal with at my skill level.

Right now, a 1980's Catalina 25 is the only thing on my list.

I am hoping you might have some other or better suggestions. I'm trying to keep it under $6000

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Tom
flgliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:49   #2

Re: Looking for second boat 25ft range, need advice

I’d recommend looking at a Chrysler 26. Solid boat, comes with a swing keel and has the amenities you’re looking for. PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers!
CaptCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 05:19   #4

Thanks the Chrysler 26 looks nice, and I see a few for sale in the $6000 range if I am willing to make a drive to retrieve one.

I was trying to keep it simple by looking for a boat with an outboard. But I realized for any cruising of more than a couple days, an outboard is probably not the best choice since you have no generator, limited fuel supply (and gasoline on board).
flgliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 05:25   #5

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Westerly pageant, twin keel, beachable, dry out for maintenence, trailerable on a flat bed and bluewater capable to boot...I'm partial, recently picked one up as a project to have something for south fla and Bahamas as I sail seawind 30' farther afield
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 05:29   #6

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Ain't she cute, 23', plenty in your price range
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_102646.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	157643  
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 06:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
Thanks the Chrysler 26 looks nice, and I see a few for sale in the $6000 range if I am willing to make a drive to retrieve one.

I was trying to keep it simple by looking for a boat with an outboard. But I realized for any cruising of more than a couple days, an outboard is probably not the best choice since you have no generator, limited fuel supply (and gasoline on board).
Mine is an outboard that has an alternator so the battery stays charged. While I haven't trailered mine a friend in NC/TN has successfully from one end of the state to the other. I have a 9.9 Yamaha with a 3 gallon tank that will last almost all summer. I've made trips from Annapolis up to the North end of the Chesapeake, about 9 hours, by motor and had fuel left over. The area under the cockpit while advertised by Chrysler as a queen size berth is better utilized as storage (and a lot of it). If you're seeing them in the $6K range I'd suggest that is the absolute top end for this model. Careful where you search, some sites never remove a boat. The one I boat 2 years ago is still listed, they have no interest in taking them off.

Good luck with the search!
CaptCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 09:52   #8

Boat: Catalina 350

Especially in your area (Fl), you couldn't go wrong with a Seaward 25 or 26Rk. I am biased, though, as we own a Seaward 25.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 05:49   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post

Outboards aren't the best but they can work and they have lots of advantages over inboards especially on small boats. (Maintenance, docking, etc) If you do get an outboard, those with both internal and external fuel capabilities are nice to have

As far as power, many of us with outboards use solar. I have a 5 hp 4 stroke 25" extra long shaft outboard on my 6,600 lb displacement Bristol 27. It's pull start so there's no need for a starter battery.

For power, I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel being charged by a 100 watt solar panel thru a $30.00 Windy Nation Controller. I also have a couple inverters for AC power (charging phones, laptops, etc

Also if you think you could handle a boat with a 4' draft, there are lots of strong boats out there in your price range.

Here's a list:

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

This guy also circumnavigated with an outboard on his 28' Pearson Triton

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 13:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Especially in your area (Fl), you couldn't go wrong with a Seaward 25 or 26Rk. I am biased, though, as we own a Seaward 25.
I've frequently heard (as someone who's looking into the Chrysler) "You should get a Seaward instead." But I've never heard why beyond a generic "it's better quality." Why is a Seaward 24/25/26 better than a Chrysler 26? Or a San Juan or Balboa for that matter?
fritz3000g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 13:28   #11

You can't go wrong with the Catalina 25, particularly if you can find one with a shoal keel or centerboard. The cost/fun/ease-of-maintenance/user-community ratio on that boat is ideal.

Any boat about that size with a shoal keel will work, though.

Look at your available options and pick one in decent shape. Condition more important than name. Outboard is definitely cheaper to maintain.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 14:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
You can't go wrong with the Catalina 25, particularly if you can find one with a shoal keel or centerboard. Any boat about that size with a shoal keel will work, though.
I assume you're distinguishing between a shoal and a swing keel. Is that correct?
I was drawn to the Chrysler because it has both internal ballast (almost a shoal keel) and a swing keel.
fritz3000g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 15:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz3000g View Post
I assume you're distinguishing between a shoal and a swing keel. Is that correct?
I was drawn to the Chrysler because it has both internal ballast (almost a shoal keel) and a swing keel.

Anything with a shallow draft is better for most of Florida. Greatly expands your range.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat