Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 13:03   #16

Re: Looking for recommendations on family cruising 40 footer

While dual helms are not exclusively a “new” thing, you’ll probably find that many boats in your search range are going to have a single helm. There are advantages to single helms including mechanical simplicity and cold wind/rain/spray protection.

Options for easier cockpit egress past a center helm while at dock or anchor include folding wheels or just removing it. Someone (Edson?) makes a rail mount to store your wheel out of the cockpit.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:07   #17

So i've read a bit about those who don't like the v'berths and my wife seems to think we need to avoid it and go for a pulman berth layout. Any thoughts on that topic?
Jwgredeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:35   #18

A V-berth is a bit of a pain to get in and out. I call it a sit-n-spin. But it’s doable. You could relegate it to the kids, and sleep in one of the aft staterooms - sacrificing headroom. Putting your pillows at the stern makes it crawl-in, back out. An offset Pullman berth forward is easier, but necessitating crawling over your partner. But that could serve as its own excuse to start a game of touchy-feely!

I am not sure if I’d limit my selection of boats to Pullman berths. I would make a list of your desirable features and prioritize them. While bed access could be an issue as one ages, I think it’s more desirable to make any bed comfortable, regardless of configuration, and concentrate on the upper targets in your priority list. And if bed access is high on your list, so be it.
Old 13-09-2020, 15:10   #19

Is anyone aware of a three cabin boat with a center console in the forty foot range? I think beneteau makes one with a bunk room but haven’t found one for sale.
Old 13-09-2020, 16:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgredeux View Post
Is anyone aware of a three cabin boat with a center console in the forty foot range? I think beneteau makes one with a bunk room but haven’t found one for sale.
I’m far from knowing all boats. But having spent the last 2 years researching and searching, I don’t believe I’ve seen a center cockpit, 3-cabin in 40’ or less. I’ve seen center cockpit boats with a third bunk cabin, but if my memory serves me, they were around 43’ - 45’. Lots of aft-cockpit boats with 3 cabin in 40’ or less though.
Old 14-09-2020, 03:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Lots of aft-cockpit boats with 3 cabins in 40’ or less though.
There are particular reasons for this. After two years of searching/researching, can you think what those might be?

Please go out and sail some of those boats. Perhaps that will make things clearer.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 08:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
There are particular reasons for this. After two years of searching/researching, can you think what those might be?

Please go out and sail some of those boats. Perhaps that will make things clearer.

LittleWing77
Uh... is this a riddle... or a test? Not sure what your point is. What isn’t clear, and to whom?
Old 14-09-2020, 17:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

LittleWing77
I'd like to go sail some. However, I have time and budget constraints that limit how many trips I can make to view and/or sail a boat model that I may be interested in. Therefore, I'd like to try and extensively research the models I may be in. (and ask for help from those who have sailed some of these boats)

Seems reasonable to me.
Old 14-09-2020, 18:15   #24

Have your kids all been offshore to see if they have a problem with seasickness? I have a good friend who bought a boat with the plan of taking the three kids out of school for a year and cruise. A week after they left, they came home. One of the children couldn't get out of her berth from the moment the boat left the harbor.

Just something to think about.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 18:33   #25

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Guess you meant center cockpit.

Yes, Beneteau produced even a 36' CC, but it had two cabins as with most classic CC cruisers under 46' or so. Few of the larger than 46' are/were able to offer two front cabins, but is wasn't a popular layout. The Beneteau 36' CC had a too small aft cabin, although better than any v berth, so for a couple weekend or up to a week sailing, the package was quite nice but eventually abandoned (as well as the Beneteau 40CC, 42CC and 44CC), when the XXL transoms aft cockpit and the 'deck saloon' designs started to get more popular at this segment.

For the OP sailing plans (weekend or a week here and there), the common modern aft cockpit 36-40' with three cabins, two aft and one V or pullman is probably more viable option as there are a lot of these in the market within the budget.
Old 14-09-2020, 19:00   #26

Quote:
I'd like to go sail some. However, I have time and budget constraints that limit how many trips I can make to view and/or sail a boat model that I may be interested in. Therefore, I'd like to try and extensively research the models I may be in. (and ask for help from those who have sailed some of these boats)

Seems reasonable to me.
Seems reasonable to me as well.
Old 15-09-2020, 05:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Have your kids all been offshore to see if they have a problem with seasickness? I have a good friend who bought a boat with the plan of taking the three kids out of school for a year and cruise. A week after they left, they came home. One of the children couldn't get out of her berth from the moment the boat left the harbor.

Just something to think about.
Yes they all have. They have been whale watching in the pacific, sailing out of west palm beach, and deep sea fishing out of Pensacola to name a few times. Also all have been out snorkeling with us and grown up their entire lives on our freshwater boats.

Good point, but our kids will be fine.
Old 15-09-2020, 05:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Guess you meant center cockpit.

Yes, Beneteau produced even a 36' CC, but it had two cabins as with most classic CC cruisers under 46' or so. Few of the larger than 46' are/were able to offer two front cabins, but is wasn't a popular layout. The Beneteau 36' CC had a too small aft cabin, although better than any v berth, so for a couple weekend or up to a week sailing, the package was quite nice but eventually abandoned (as well as the Beneteau 40CC, 42CC and 44CC), when the XXL transoms aft cockpit and the 'deck saloon' designs started to get more popular at this segment.

For the OP sailing plans (weekend or a week here and there), the common modern aft cockpit 36-40' with three cabins, two aft and one V or pullman is probably more viable option as there are a lot of these in the market within the budget.
I did mean center cockpit. And thanks for the info. From my searching, what you say sounds right as all I have come across was a 44cc with three cabins (one being a bunk room/closet).
Old 15-09-2020, 07:37   #29

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I think the Beneteau 44CC will be less suitable to the mostly day-sailing plans, but nevertheless a nice boat, well built (Farr Design). I have seen Catalinas at the higher 30' sizes with a quite reasonable aft cabin although aft cockpit and I still think you can get a nice Beneteau or Jeanneau at the 35-38' LOA with a good aft cabin - again, for the sailing pattern in mind and budget - The very large cockpit and ease of handling should attract you all.

Tags
cruising, family, men