Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 21:20   #16

Boat: Cavalier 37ft
Re: Looking for interest in a new program for cruising sailors

Also just posted it on Liveaboard Sailboat Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/111039125633053/ Which has 4510 members got to get this great idea out there!!!
Well done
cal_d_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 07:42   #17

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Great initiative!

This has the potential to grow into a huge thing indeed!
Applause for the effort!!!
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:45   #18

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Nice app, just signed up.
Question: If I am planning to go somewhere, knowing that I won't have internet when getting there, can I create an locally stored file with the info of that area?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:14   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

just signed up. Love the platform! I already like it better then active captain
Old 27-06-2017, 21:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Nice app, just signed up.
Question: If I am planning to go somewhere, knowing that I won't have internet when getting there, can I create an locally stored file with the info of that area?

Hi sailormed,

Yes, we will have offline functionality. It was always part of the plan to have offline as a feature. It is quite complicated to set up but we, (and the programmers) believe it can be done. Users will be able to down load sections of the global map as a static map (for example downloading just the med) and that static map will contain all the icons which have been placed in that region. The icons can then be accessed offline from any device. We are also discussing the possibility that users can add icons while offline, which would then get uploaded to Zulu once reconnecting to the internet.
It will likely be 2-3months before we have this function.

At the moment we are focused on getting people involved, building user profiles and adding information.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 00:35   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Hi sailormed,

Yes, we will have offline functionality. It was always part of the plan to have offline as a feature. It is quite complicated to set up but we, (and the programmers) believe it can be done. Users will be able to down load sections of the global map as a static map (for example downloading just the med) and that static map will contain all the icons which have been placed in that region. The icons can then be accessed offline from any device. We are also discussing the possibility that users can add icons while offline, which would then get uploaded to Zulu once reconnecting to the internet.
It will likely be 2-3months before we have this function.

At the moment we are focused on getting people involved, building user profiles and adding information.
Any thoughts about intigrating with Opencpn? A plugin would be so good

Great to see the world filling up with icons on your site
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 01:04   #22
Marine Service Provider

I'm actually not all that familiar with open cpn but it seems like a good option. I will look into it further. Interesting idea.
Old 28-06-2017, 01:46   #23

Boat: Skysail 39

Great idea, great initiative & a great application. I agree with conachair - a plug -in for opencpn would be great...

I found some quirks when I hit my back button instead of closing an input screen with the X. I ended up in a state I couldn't get out of. Had to close the tab. Also I used Google Street view in your map and got a small square in the bottom left corner of the screen and was unable to get back to the normal map. Using a Sony android pad...

I signed up and entered a few icons at it is very intuitive. I'm missing an icon for a waste (black water) pump out station - knowledge about where to find these is essential (at least in Sweden)...

Would you set up a forum for feature suggestions and perhaps but reports?

I'm not out sailing right now but I will start entering info as soon as we are on our next tour....

Keep upp The god work....

I'll be sharing the link with other sailors on our club forum.
LarsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 06:35   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsD View Post
Great idea, great initiative & a great application. I agree with conachair - a plug -in for opencpn would be great...

I found some quirks when I hit my back button instead of closing an input screen with the X. I ended up in a state I couldn't get out of. Had to close the tab. Also I used Google Street view in your map and got a small square in the bottom left corner of the screen and was unable to get back to the normal map. Using a Sony android pad...

I signed up and entered a few icons at it is very intuitive. I'm missing an icon for a waste (black water) pump out station - knowledge about where to find these is essential (at least in Sweden)...

Would you set up a forum for feature suggestions and perhaps but reports?

I'm not out sailing right now but I will start entering info as soon as we are on our next tour....

Keep upp The god work....

I'll be sharing the link with other sailors on our club forum.

Hi Lars,

I posted on your activity feed in Zulu, but to say again, I will add a pump out icon to the list of icon types (although I'm struggling to think of what symbol to use). Ideas?

A solution to the bugs experienced on android devices has been decided on today. The solution involves re-writing some of the HTML code on the program to make the program compatible with all devices. It's a pain, but it will solve any similar problems for good. This work will be done in the next week or so. Then no more bugs.

You can ask questions, or form a discussion either by posting on 'admin's wall on the Zulu, or by joining a Facebook group which I just started for discussion during these early stages of release. Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated and should be expressed freely.

To find the admin page in Zulu just search 'admin' in the search user bar in the profile section. Once on the admin profile you can post a message.

The Facebook group is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/257973798014508/
Old 28-06-2017, 07:40   #25

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Looks like the potential may be virtually unlimited with good input. Very easy to use on this laptop.

One thing I noticed is that "Gulf of California" turned up no results. A cities name had to be used. I am looking for marinas on the east side of the Gulf of California. Doesn't seem to be much...

Very, very good for being this young!
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:39   #26

Boat: Currently boatless

Three questions:

1) Can you switch satellite image providers like SASPlanet. Meaning, if Google doesnt have a good image (a cloud) can you try Bing or Yahoo?

2) Doesn't Google lock you out when you download too many maps in too short of a time? Or do you have a work-around?

3) I haven't tried your program so this may already be a capability, but please allow users to use the same name for more than one marker. For example, in some programs you can't label more than one marker "reef" because it wants a unique name which is super annoying when you want to mark a bunch of reefs.

Edit: adding a 4th.
4) Is this web based only? Not a downloadable program?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 19:21   #27
Marine Service Provider

Hi Livia, I've posted some answers to your questions below.

Three questions:

1) Can you switch*satellite*image providers like*SASPlanet. Meaning, if Google doesnt have a good image (a cloud) can you try Bing or Yahoo?

No you can not switch map providers while using the program. You are able to to change the way you view the map as either satellite mode or map mode, and with or without labels (place names). The program users google satellite maps, not google earth so there shouldn’t be any clouds over the map. You can let me know if you have any trouble with the images provided

2) Doesn't Google lock you out when you download too many maps in too short of a time? Or do you have a work-around?

I think what you are referring to is when downloading static maps, whereas Zulu Waterways uses google maps program. We haven’t heard of there being a issue with the amount of traffic affecting the use of the google maps program, and I hope this is not the case. If you have any further information on this please let me know. Google has a long set of rules which we have followed precisely such as displaying their name and copy right information.

3) I haven't tried your program so this may already be a capability, but please allow users to use the same name for more than one marker. For example, in some programs you can't label more than one marker "reef" because it wants a unique name which is super annoying when you want to mark a bunch of*reefs.

Yes there is no issue creating multiple markers with the same name. The program remembers the marker based on GPS location rather then title. We do however encourage people to add names such as ‘Sydney harbour reef’ so when people search icons they can find it easily.

Edit: adding a 4th.
4) Is this web based only? Not a downloadable program?

Currently Zulu Waterways is a online, web based program. Offline functionality has always been part of the plan, and we are working towards getting this done. Currently we are decided which platform will give the best results. Some have suggested creating an Open CPN plug in.

The site has only being live for 5 days now so we appreciate any comments, questions and suggestions.

Have you checked out the program yet?

I recommend watching the introduction video to get an understanding of the functions the program offers

http://zuluwaterways.com
Old 28-06-2017, 20:02   #28
Marine Service Provider

https://youtu.be/3FfnW8Xx5Go

Here is a copy of the introduction video on YouTube. You can also view it in the FAQ section on Zulu Waterways.
Old 28-06-2017, 20:13   #29
Marine Service Provider

Looking for interest in a new program for cruising sailors

Old 29-06-2017, 03:24   #30
Marine Service Provider

Apologies if anyone experienced problems with the site yesterday. The issues have been resolved and you should find everything is back to normal now.

Tags
cruising, sail