Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 21:32   #1

Looking for boat owner in Hawaii

Our family is gearing up for boat ownership, probably in the next year. In the meantime we want to get at least a taste of being on the ocean whenever opportunities arise.

Well, we will be in Hawaii on the island of Oahu from Feb 26th through March 1st. And would love to be able to take a day sail with a boat owner willing to have us (willing to give appropriate compensation for your time of course).

There will be a total of 5 of us, we are NOT looking for someone to cater to us hand and foot...more wanting to get a taste of sailing the boat and enjoying the work involved. I'm the only one with a very small amount of experience so consider us all very green when it comes to sailing.

We don't care the age or layout of the boat (as long as it's seaworthy), mono or multi, doesn't matter.

If anyone is willing to have us aboard for a day please give me a way to contact you and we can work out agreeable arrangements.

Thanks
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 23:14   #2

Boat: secondarily boatless
Re: Looking for boat owner in Hawaii

Hey,

that is a really strange request...

First, Oahu is not a really easy sailing environment - the channels between the islands can be the pits. Second, it does not make sense to go out in a mono and get seasick if you want a cat...

My recommendation: Once you are here, got to the Ala Wai small boat harbor and ask around. There are around 700 boats here, and it's like a small micro economy - there's people cleaning boat bottoms, people doing repair work, people offering berths to tourists, I would be surprised if you could not talk someone into an excursion against a fee...

But please figure out first what kind of boat ownership you really want

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:07   #3

Thanks for the advice.
Not really so strange at all, we know what we are going to get already and have already been out on one. Cats are hard to come by in Oahu (or so I have been told) so the chance of being able to find one for a day in our time window would be slim to none. Looking into trying to charter one for a day also could not find the type of experience we are looking for. On the other hand finding an owner that like to sail occasionally and does not mind taking a small group out (being compensated for his/her time) we have found much more reasonable and a better experience.
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 15:01   #4

Hello there. I might be interested in having you aboard. My name is Jeff. I have a very strong and sea worthy sail boat that can comfortably take you all. I would never take money. Just expect you to bring your own food and drinks. I am not comfortable with anyone drinking excessively. My boat is a Pearson 530. I am in Oahu at Ali Wai marina. I would need to meet with all of you to make sure I am comfortable with you. But what the heck. It might be really fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456009277.575081.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	119333 her is a picture of her out of the water last month. PM me if still interested.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sutcoinc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 15:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Try Craig's List. Do an ad under boats.
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii