Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2021, 08:14   #16

Re: Looking for Advice on AIS Transmitters

AIS -
Many good products out there and most are compatible. Vesper 8000 excellent cornerstone for a navigation suite, particularly if crossing old 0183 and new 2000 equipment.

A splitter should be a last resort decision- good seamanship- why combine two independent communication systems that if a component failure of the splitter or antenna will remove both systems entirely? Additionally, understand the interference/limitation of the two systems particularly if using PLB AIS units and have an emergency situation.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 08:23   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I have a Amec Widelink B600W...SOTDMA (5W) transponder with builtin wifi. It also has a SD card for logging which is a nice to have. but the basic transponder without wifi is just over $500 and it has both NMEA2k and NMEA 0183

+1 same unit. I bought it from Milltechmarine.com - great customer service and advice as well. They are one of the few retailers who offers great tech support along with competitive prices.

Here's a good article they wrote on how to select an AIS transponder. https://www.milltechmarine.com/How-t...der_b_34.html?

PS - I have no affiliation - just a happy customer.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 09:12   #18

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Highly recommend Vesper Cortex. We have all Raymarine electronics (Axiom Pro, Evolution, Quantum 2, P70s displays, and legacy analog wind/depth through ITC-5). Only thing not Raymarine is the AIS. Vespers commitment to their customer is nothing but fantastic. And I wish I could say the same about Raymarine, but can’t based on service, response to questions/problems, or breakdowns under warranty.

The Vesper Cortex is pricey (FYI, if you’re a SSCA member, you get a discount on Fisheries Supply website), but worth it. The features are unrivaled and they keep adding more every month or two. I’m currently on their beta test team and was one of the first to install in the US as I ordered first week available. (FYI - I paid full price for my unit and was only given an extension on the monitoring plan due to some early issues).

In addition to providing Class B SOTDMA AIS, the Cortex is a VHF. The combo pack comes with one wired handset, but you can have up to 10 wired/wireless if you want more. We kept with one and installed a second wired 12v outlet and cradle, so we can move inside/outside. We also kept our legacy Standard Horizon 1500gpx. The splitter is built in and one antenna can be used for AIS/VHF. We used our legacy basic model Shakespeare that was 20 years old with good success the first year. We just upgraded to a Morad antenna with better quality cable tuned for AIS/VHF and will have to see how much better it works. In pulling the old cable we noticed it was spliced in the middle, so can say it works even in suboptimal antenna conditions. We have noticed audio is clearer and we’ve been getting clear Miami Coast Guard transmissions in Stuart FL on channel 16/22a. The system allows you to monitor a station while also monitoring channel 16. Scanning is not currently supported, but Vesper is working on that update right now.

But on top of AIS/VHF, you’re also getting input/outputs, which allow you to monitor bilge pumps, alarm systems, or even turn off/on lights from anywhere as long as boat has cell service and you have cell service. There is cell service built in to the Vesper. Monitoring all functions is free for 2x daily monitoring. If you want real time monitoring, it’s $159.95 annually. They give you 90 days free, so you can see what works for you. Geofencing and anchor alarms are also built in and will send messages to your cell phone as well. The entire system can be wired right into your NMEA 2000 and/or 1083 networks as well, so you can receive wind/depth etc anywhere you are as well. Alarms can be set for all these functions too.

And Vesper just added a loud hailer/speakerphone function too. The auto hailer includes automated hailing for almost any situation, including sailboat in fog. We used a Standard Horizon 240 speaker. Two wires connected to the Vesper and we were in business.

Vesper continues to update the unit via software updates that get pushed through the app and go directly to the head unit and handsets. Super easy.

Best new piece of equipment we’ve installed. Even if you don’t go with the Cortex, highly recommend Vesper and their XB8000, which gets you Class B AIS for about $700 with SSCA discount.

Good luck.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 09:25   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Vesper Cortex was plug and play. I powered it up and tested it in my living room. I liked that it added the second VHF for redundancy, and includes the splitter. It also has cloud technology to text you alarms like anchor dragging, bilge high water, etc. It also has a PIC with inputs and outputs that you can control anchor alarm, bilge pumps, etc.

Steve
swhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 09:29   #20

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Many cruisers, including myself, are very impressed with the new Vesper Cortex. One thing many have not noticed is that it is also available without the integrated VHF at a lower price point - comparable to an xb-8000 plus a splitter. As the new Cortex incorporates a splitter this looks like a better option than the 8000 going forward for those who just want AIS and don't want a new VHF.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 09:32   #21

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyman View Post
Thank you all for your replies. It looks like only the Vesper comes with a VHF antenna splitter. .
EM-Tek also has one with a built it splitter.

I bought the Emtek because it was the least expensive one I could find. Mine has no features basically. It TX and RX. All the bells and whistles, anchor alarm etc. I already have on my MFD and tablet. Don't se a reason to pay extra for features I already have.

I went with a separate antennae. A bit more wiring but adds an extra antennae JIC.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 10:28   #22

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

If you are on a real budget consider a Matsutec 33A must be an "A" to be a transponder the 33 is just a receiver.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 11:55   #23

Boat: Cal 39 MKII

One question that has come up, if you are using a vhf antenna splitter, when talking on vhf radio, does this negate the air transceiver? Seems someone indicated that if the transmitter is not on its own dedicated antenna, talking on vhf overrides the aus signal and you are no longer putting out signal. Is this true?
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 12:08   #24

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
One question that has come up, if you are using a vhf antenna splitter, when talking on vhf radio, does this negate the air transceiver? Seems someone indicated that if the transmitter is not on its own dedicated antenna, talking on vhf overrides the aus signal and you are no longer putting out signal. Is this true?

Most antenna splitters I’ve seen give the vhf priority. So yes, if the vhf is transmitting ais won’t.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 13:21   #25

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
a second vesper? what happened to first?
It was sold with the Irwin 38 CC it was on. The new one is on my 46’.
Old 27-11-2021, 14:49   #26

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Try ONWA. Inexpensive transceiver and chart plotter combined units. I’ve run mine for two years now. Like pretty much everything nowadays it’s assembled in China
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 14:52   #27

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

And install a dedicated antenna…
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 04:37   #28

Boat: Cal 39 MKII

Hello All, thanks for the great input. Just a couple of definitions that I looked up, for any other newby to AIS transmission:
SOTDMA = Self Organizing Time Division Multiple Access = this negotiates with other AIS's for transmission time slots and is needed in heavy traffic zones
Class B = transmits every 3 min. if moving less than 2 kts/hr and every 30 sec if moving faster
Class A = Has many more transmission intervals depending on boat speed and for very fast boats can transmit every 2 seconds
Searching the web, I have not found anyone selling the Em-Trak B350, the Widelink B600W or the ONWA.
Finally, there appears to be a couple of folks selling systems on this cruising net. Not sure if we all share the same honorability, will be cautious as always. If going with Class B, not sure that the issue with splitters preference to VHF is issue since the transmission rate max's out at intervals of 30 seconds, seems like it would be more of an issue with Class A.
Again thanks all
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 04:50   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Hello All, thanks for the great input. Just a couple of definitions that I looked up, for any other newby to AIS transmission:
SOTDMA = Self Organizing Time Division Multiple Access = this negotiates with other AIS's for transmission time slots and is needed in heavy traffic zones
Class B = transmits every 3 min. if moving less than 2 kts/hr and every 30 sec if moving faster
Class A = Has many more transmission intervals depending on boat speed and for very fast boats can transmit every 2 seconds
Searching the web, I have not found anyone selling the Em-Trak B350, the Widelink B600W or the ONWA.
Finally, there appears to be a couple of folks selling systems on this cruising net. Not sure if we all share the same honorability, will be cautious as always. If going with Class B, not sure that the issue with splitters preference to VHF is issue since the transmission rate max's out at intervals of 30 seconds, seems like it would be more of an issue with Class A.
Again thanks all
Use Google.

MillTechMarine.com (One of the biggest selections and will come up as the first option in a google search for Widelink B600W) sell the greatest selection.

ONWA you'll find on ebay and aliexpress (Not worth it in my view as its not significanly cheaper that a quality unit)

One thing I would suggest is to NOT get a splitter. Install a separate AIS antenna (they're VHF antennas in reality) There are 2 benefits to having a seperate Antenna.

1. you have no competition between the VHF and AIS
2. if something goes wrong with the Antenna at the top of the mast you still have the secondary that you can use in a pinch to switch to the VHF
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 05:40   #30

epoxyman,
Automatic Identification system (AIS) is the greatest communication upgrade since the VHF radio. Therefore, do not get yourself too overwhelmed in the technology vs understanding the concept. The best information is on the uscg navscen website.
The class B comes in 2 and 5 watt transmitting powers and A is 12watt. They are priced accordingly. A is commercially required B is commercially permitted in certain places. (5 watt was a post-development when 2w failed to give the distance desired. It is a price-point creation)
Commercially the AIS A must be installed with a dedicated antenna. Recreational registration permits a splitter in a hardship configuration although the splitter causes interference in signal loss (via poor quality splitters, added connectors, cable length, bends , etc.) and if the vhf voice radio is keyed, the AIS signal is no longer transmitted or received. This is a critical consideration if using PLB AIS units in MOB situations. This is another discussion, but in simplicity the PLB AIS 1watt transmits every 7 seconds to account for the highest wave and if the receiver does not catch that burst signal because of the VHF voice being utilized simultaneously, it must wait till the next clear signal.

Height of antenna plays a role in the success, but the length of run to the antenna, quality of antenna, quality of wire, all contribute. The receiving unit also has similar in reverse.
The transmission/reception real expectation results are 2w= 4ish miles, 5 watt=10ish miles, and 12.5 watt class A = 16ish miles. Atmospherics can increase and decrease this range, but don't count on sales and lab theories when in reality.
To example simple strength understanding, what is the range of your handheld vhf radio?
The powers are similar to AIS B, the antenna are shorter % of wavelength, but the results are very similar.
In dedicated antenna positioning, theoretically the VHF antenna must be 6 feet away from the VHF voice antenna or at a different altitude level. At minimum , a dedicated antenna should be 4 meters or ten feet above the water. This provides a line of site 4 miles-

\
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, ais