Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 14:45   #1

Boat: 2007 Lagoon 440 OV
Looking For a Marina on East Coast US

Hello Everyone,

We will be moving our boat (440 Lagoon, 70 foot mast) from the NY area, south starting early in Oct. For work reasons, we will need to leave the boat somewhere between Norwalk and Myrtle Beach for 3-8 weeks. We want to get a slip not a mooring ball. Ideally we would like to be fairly close to an airport or at very least close to an Interstate (we will be traveling back and forth to the Mid-west). On one or two trips back and forth we will be bringing all our stuff as we are moving onto the boat full time by the end of the year.

Does anyone have any ideas of marinas that would our criteria and that we can get to with respect to bridges.

Thanks for any help,

M
Liming II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 15:28   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Looking For a Marina on East Coast US

When researching marinas, I go to Active Captain. You can use it to find marinas that suit your needs.

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/
Old 24-08-2021, 15:38   #3

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming II View Post
Hello Everyone,

We will be moving our boat (440 Lagoon, 70 foot mast) from the NY area, south starting early in Oct. For work reasons, we will need to leave the boat somewhere between Norwalk and Myrtle Beach for 3-8 weeks. We want to get a slip not a mooring ball. Ideally we would like to be fairly close to an airport or at very least close to an Interstate (we will be traveling back and forth to the Mid-west). On one or two trips back and forth we will be bringing all our stuff as we are moving onto the boat full time by the end of the year.

Does anyone have any ideas of marinas that would our criteria and that we can get to with respect to bridges.

Thanks for any help,

M
The marina I'm currently in, Safe Harbor Skull Creek in Hilton Head meets your criteria.

You would not be in a slip pre se, most likely side to a floating dock on the most protected part of the creek. There's a nearby general aviation airport which I'm sure has connectors, there's Hilton Head/Savannah Int'l a short drive away, and you're 20 mins from I-95.

There's several cats your size in there now, and some gaps where a couple of large cats were but have left.

No clue on bridges.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 07:28   #4

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

Salt Ponds in Hampton can handle you. It's about 15min to Norfolk Airport.
Floating docks. You'll likely be at a T head, but, it's super sheltered.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 09:08   #5

Homer Smith Marina or Town Creek Marina in Beaufort, NC are just before the first bridge and could handle a boat your size. It's a great marina with very helpful staff. There is a small airport (private/charter flights) a couple of miles away. Jacksonville (OAJ) or New Bern (EWN) are 30-45 minute drives and have multiple flights with Delta and American Airlines respectively. Beaufort inlet is easily navigable even for deeper draft vessels and the Beaufort/Morehead City area is steeped in maritime tradition.

Interstate access is good but if you want to avoid the nightmare that is I95 you can make it north to Wilmington, DE using secondary highways through NC to Norfolk over the Bay bridge/tunnel and up the coast. It's a great drive with actual scenery and nowhere near the traffic and drama of an expedition up and down I95. (Scenic route usually adds 20-30 minutes total to the planned length of a trip to Newport, RI but all it takes is for I95 to have construction or a wreck to make the scenic route much more efficient)
Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 09:50   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

I would be looking in the Norfolk/Hampton area. Cheaper dockage than further south in general, and a good airport.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 19:21   #7

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrophylla View Post
Homer Smith Marina or Town Creek Marina in Beaufort, NC are just before the first bridge and could handle a boat your size. It's a great marina with very helpful staff. There is a small airport (private/charter flights) a couple of miles away. Jacksonville (OAJ) or New Bern (EWN) are 30-45 minute drives and have multiple flights with Delta and American Airlines respectively. Beaufort inlet is easily navigable even for deeper draft vessels and the Beaufort/Morehead City area is steeped in maritime tradition.

Interstate access is good but if you want to avoid the nightmare that is I95 you can make it north to Wilmington, DE using secondary highways through NC to Norfolk over the Bay bridge/tunnel and up the coast. It's a great drive with actual scenery and nowhere near the traffic and drama of an expedition up and down I95. (Scenic route usually adds 20-30 minutes total to the planned length of a trip to Newport, RI but all it takes is for I95 to have construction or a wreck to make the scenic route much more efficient)
Town Creek Marina in Beaufort appears to be behind a 65' air clearance ICW bridge. So scratch that.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 20:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Town Creek Marina in Beaufort appears to be behind a 65' air clearance ICW bridge. So scratch that.
It’s not, it’s just before the bridge. See screenshot of chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C153DEB2-3A0B-47A5-89D5-164859729FD7.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	245344  
Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 05:39   #9

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrophylla View Post
It’s not, it’s just before the bridge. See screenshot of chart.
Thanks, i was confusing the location with Morehead city yacht basin.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast