Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2012, 00:22   #1

Log Book

I am looking for a log book to document my sailing experience so I can start my ASA Certification and mt Captains License.

Can anyone recommend a product that should meet all the standards?

I am sailing a 32 ft cruiser and race a J80.

Thanks for you input.
mugsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 05:16   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Log Book

Why not use a word processor (e.g. MS Word) to make up a page that suites your needs and have it printed up in double sided copies and hard or spiral bound at a Kinkos print shop. Printing and binding are very inexpensive these days and you can format the document to suit your own needs.

I gave up on commercially produced logs as none seemed to fit my own needs. I now have a separate maintenance log, repair log, fuel log, and transit/deck log that fit the bill much better and at reasonable cost.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 06:33   #3

Most sailing organizations's logbook have a section for logging experience. I expect the ASA logbook does as well.

I use an Excel spreadsheet that totals my days, night hours, instructional hours and distances.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 06:48   #4

Like svHylyte, I used Excel to design a boat log. There are other CF posts detailing folks' various boat/usage/maintenance logs.

When accumulating USCG seatime, I used an MS Access database. You will need to keep track for each boat, owner, date (month/year), and your accumulate hours. When completing the USCG forms, the captain/owner will need to sign the form. There's no requirement for an actual log.

BTW, over the course of accumulating seatime, I probably sailed on 15 or more boats over the course of 10+ years. I found it useful to complete the forms as my sailing opportunities changed. Over the years I've lost touch with a couple of the boat owners.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 07:50   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsaway
I am looking for a log book to document my sailing experience so I can start my ASA Certification and mt Captains License.

Can anyone recommend a product that should meet all the standards?

I am sailing a 32 ft cruiser and race a J80.

Thanks for you input.
Sounds like you need something you can throw in a seabag? Get yourself a nice ruled Moleskein, and figure out how much detail you want to record. You don't need a whole lot, but it will be handy to note the type of boat and its displacement in tons, as well as the general conditions. If you are crewing for others, have the skipper sign your log at the end of the trip. If you're collecting sea time for a USCG license, what they're looking for is the data, not the book itself.

Here's an example of how an entry might look:

4/30/12 R/V Kashi. Twin screws, 120 tons. Research assistant. Depart Monterey 0530. Marine layer + patchy fog. NW wind 15 knots. Swell W 8' every 15 seconds. Conducted midwater trawls Carmel Canyon. Returned Monterey 1530.