Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Number one reason you have not sailed away yet??
Money 94 40.52%
Kids too young or dont want to go 20 8.62%
Spouse says: NO WAY 20 8.62%
Career plans in the way 30 12.93%
Cannot sell house to pay for it 7 3.02%
Fear of unknown 3 1.29%
Other 58 25.00%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10   #76

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Another great option is to take your wife and boat to a cruiser's weekend, such as they have at Catalina. A lot of the objections and worries about cruising melt away when you surround yourselves with others who have the same goals and the same concerns. Sometimes the first mate really just needs to hear a voice other than her husbands. Though, in my wife's case, I can't imagine why.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:12   #77
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
All the way down the west coast of the Americas. Through the canal, and left again to Texas. Then on to Florida, and from there are the Bahamas, and you are still day hopping all the way to Venzuela.

Of course by then I bet she is ready to get off shore, and get some miles under the keel. Especially after she gets to Cabo, and realizes it is 2 1/2 days across the Sea of Cortez, and 2 1/2 months to get around it....hehehehehehehe
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 15:02   #78

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Before I get my wife over to Catalina, or down the coast to Mexico or South America, I have to get her out of the San Diego Bay...lol
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:09   #79
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Every thousand mile journey begins with the first step......BEST WISHES on your dilemma!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40   #80
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Found this thread very interesting and my hat is off to all you sailors who have tried to juggle careers, family responsibilities, consumerism and your wives interest level, with the dream of just “Sailing Away”.

To me, the fallacy of this kind of “dreaming” is that it presupposes your discontent with life “today” and that really big steps are needed to be happy.

As a lifelong professional sailor who has never had to balance land based obligations or commitments, with traveling the world by yacht, a couple of observations/suggestions if I may:

1. Before you sell the house, shoot the dog and disown the kids, take a sabbatical of about 5-6 months and offer to be unpaid crew on a well established cruising yacht that is travelling overseas to a remote area. Only then will you know if that “Reality” is really your “Dream” and will have the benefit to observe firsthand the compromises and hard work an experienced Owner makes…… to achieve it.

2. The grass isn’t “always greener” in other cruising destinations, so once you have tested the life by taking a sabbatical, identify whether your home waters represent a “dream” for someone else and consider a long term, “Boat swapping cruise” to satisfy that curiosity and achieve your goals a bit easier by avoiding the delivery part.

Remember, no boat or crew is ever ready to sail, there is always something that can be improved upon, but once you have made up your mind this is really what you want….Just Do It!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 14:19   #81

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

1. Before you sell the house, shoot the dog and disown the kids, take a sabbatical of about 5-6 months and offer to be unpaid crew on a well established cruising yacht that is travelling overseas to a remote area. Only then will you know if that “Reality” is really your “Dream” and will have the benefit to observe firsthand the compromises and hard work an experienced Owner makes…… to achieve it.

This is what I have come to find as the problem. (Problem??)
One cannot use a boat a little bit and be sure the long term is doable for them. Most with boats don't use them much at all. Many "cruisers" only cruise for a few months at a time, having "work" that allows for those few months (very expensive) off each year.

It is also difficult to find that crew position I would think.

This latter point is probably the only way I will experience it (after the kids are disowned - lucky me, I don't have a dog to kill - still not sure about the wife.

It would still be a pretty big leap. Boats (and stuff) are pretty expensive.

If I was thrown out of the house I am sure I would end up in the water though.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 19:07   #82

I just found this old thread and thought I would vote!

The only thing stopping me is money, I could get enough to buy a small boat, but I am worried about the living expenses afterwards! Where will I eat? What will I eat? I love fish but bork at the idea of eating a fish who's head is still attached lol Give me battered plaice and a lemon slice anytime!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:09   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I just found this old thread and thought I would vote!

The only thing stopping me is money, I could get enough to buy a small boat, but I am worried about the living expenses afterwards! Where will I eat? What will I eat? I love fish but bork at the idea of eating a fish who's head is still attached lol Give me battered plaice and a lemon slice anytime!
You're not alone - I also don't like eating things that are looking at me!
So our deal is - he kills it and beheads it, I clean it and cook it.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:08   #84

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Technically I have failed.

When I was 21 I had a capable boat (ericson 39), no career, no big debts, no fear, no kids, (No money saved either). My husband and I had a five year plan to save, save, save and "go for good". I am in my 30's--hence the failed part.

What happened? Several things. We changed our minds on what our perfect boat was FIVE times (forgive us, you aren't supposed to know what you like in your twenties), then some "sensible" people convinced us to prepare for the future so we got degrees and careers and 401K's which lead us farther and farther from our dream. So far that eventually we bought a house and moved off the boat.

However, I do not FEEL like I failed because the "dream" is still alive.

The years have not been wasted. We have taken many several-month trips to the bahamas that have been absolutely amazing and have cruised the intracoastal waterway from Norfolk to Florida. We have finally decided what boat fits us best. The one we just bought last year! (small, simple, seaworthy, and paid for). The previous boats helped us figure that out (and we are really good at boat repair since they were all fixer-uppers), so no real regrets. We have learned that careers are not all they are cracked up to be, but have comfort that we have educations for when we want/need them later, so no real regrets. I've learned that owning a home makes me feel trapped, but I wouldn't have known that unless I tried, so no real regrets there either (sorta). I learned that it is almost as much about the preparation as it taking off-I do honestly like doing boat work. Also, we changed "sail away for good" to spend one year cruising then re-examine what we really want to do for the next 12 months. (hopefully NOT buy another boat )

Finally, I learned that 5 year plans do not work. For the simple reason that when you wake up tomorrow it is still 5 years away. So several months ago we committed again and set a date: The first doable weather window after April 30, 2013. 1034 days away. Tomorrow will be 1033 .

Anyone else with a departure date around this time? We can countdown and prepare together!!
Old 01-07-2010, 23:55   #85
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
Finally, I learned that 5 year plans do not work.

The first doable weather window after April 30, 2013. 1034 days away. Tomorrow will be 1033 .

Anyone else with a departure date around this time? We can countdown and prepare together!!
Russians took 80 years to know 5 year plans can never work. You worked that out quicker so you did well

Set the goal in stone (ours was a specific date of Febuary 4th 2008 - we left on March 3rd).

Do NOT share your goal with another boat as they will hold you back! You count down your selfs just you and hubby

Remember every bottle of wine you pour down your throat now is a 2 bottles you will never have when cruising. Why? Because at a restaurant here last night a bottle of wine was $4! Great wine too!

oh, also with the goal setting stuff, read some book on goals and facilitating goals. You have the "big" date, but you need little dates set too so you arrive at the "big" date

Lastly: It will happen if you do your plan. It happened to us. We achieved it. We are now doing it. If we can do it the you can definitely do it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:19   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
You're not alone - I also don't like eating things that are looking at me!
So our deal is - he kills it and beheads it, I clean it and cook it.
Haha but I'm the male so it would be me beheading it!

Quote:
Finally, I learned that 5 year plans do not work. For the simple reason that when you wake up tomorrow it is still 5 years away. So several months ago we committed again and set a date: The first doable weather window after April 30, 2013. 1034 days away. Tomorrow will be 1033 .
I appreciate your honesty and will be showing this to my partner (who wants a 10 year plan lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
oh, also with the goal setting stuff, read some book on goals and facilitating goals. You have the "big" date, but you need little dates set too so you arrive at the "big" date

Lastly: It will happen if you do your plan. It happened to us. We achieved it. We are now doing it. If we can do it the you can definitely do it.
Thanks Mark, you sometimes come out with some Golden help! Good work and I have already started at looking at books about setting goals (as well as reading "A dummies guide to sailing" (I kid you not lol)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:36   #87

Quote:
Thanks MarkJ
Actually, we have done this.

First, I have a small one-page countdown poster on the wall. There is a box for every month counting down to the set date and each month I put a big black sharpie X for each one that has passed. It also has one of those thermometer looking graphs that we color in for each thousand dollars we have put in savings. It has a check off list for the top 8 ""big expenses to keep us focused on the most important stuff and it has a check off list for the top 8 "mile markers" (make plan, buy boat, refit boat, sell house, sell cars, quit jobs, cast off) to see our progress on the non-boat-refit priorities. I also included and map of our projected cruising route, and inspirational picture from a previous sail and an inspirational quote. We also have a shake down cruise scheduled for next May.

Second, is a more more complicated 5 page excell worksheet for all of the projects to be completed. At this stage we are adding to this list as fast as we are checing things off , but progress is being made and priorities are being focused on.

Quote:
Set the goal in stone (ours was a specific date of Febuary 4th 2008 - we left on March 3rd).
Job well done!!

The first time we set a departure date in stone, I left port in a smallcraft warning with the wind on the nose and it was a miserable ride. So I now I have added the clause "the FIRST weather window past". Other than that it is a non-negotiable date. What ever equipment is on the boat is what we will have and what ever money is in the bank is what we can spend. period.

P.S. Are there any threads about effective goal setting already started-it seems like a topic that many people would have a lot to offer on?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:35   #88
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
refit boat,
Thats one that might be able to be done underway. If it doesnt absolutly necessarily need to be done, then why do it?

Quote:

P.S. Are there any threads about effective goal setting already started-it seems like a topic that many people would have a lot to offer on?
No folks here are more interested in slagging other peoples choice of boat that learning how to buy one themselves!!

If you promise not to vomit I'll let you into my secret: The Secret. Its some self-help video thing thaqt like so many self help books you have to read 5,000 pages to the one line of useful knowledge. If you can grab (or download ) a copy of the secret and watch it without gagging, then thats about all you need.... and the xl spreadsheet

Google the secret
Quote:
The Secret reveals the most powerful law in the universe.
Once the mystical fog drifts off the TV set you will find the 'most powerful law' is just goal setting and management practices

Old 02-07-2010, 06:45   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Thats one that might be able to be done underway. If it doesnt absolutly necessarily need to be done, then why do it?

OK I retract my line above. I just saw the awsome renovations you've done to your boat. Thats hard work and paying off!!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:08   #90

Boat refit:

Quote:

Uh--yeah--I think it is absolutly necessary. You see, bought our current boat sitting on semi-trailer with most-many-some (a few) of her parts scattered about her. She sat in our back yard for the first 8 months as we did the "basic" repairs and engine work. My photo album has some "before" and "in progress" photos to explain. We only put up the rigging last month. Sails are just now being ordered. When I say a 5-page excell sheet, its one with very small font!

Quote:

Google the secret
I have both the book and DVD