Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 20:57   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Live Aboard Sailing School?

I don't seem to have a good understanding of a "liveaboard" sailing school. I've always thought that the best learning for sailing was aboard little boats because they respond immediately to the actions of the helmsman. I guess that there is a purpose in learning how to maneuver a larger boat to and from the dock, but as far as "liveaboard" goes,- I don't understand the lesson objectives. Maybe I should know of something to this goal since my wife and I have been liveing aboard for 42 years. I could teach "livingaboard" I guess, but what would it be? .... How to fold the bike? .... How to pack the bicycles and the groceries and the laundry in the dinghy? ..... How to mix and stir the sundowner? .... sun protection? ...casual reading? .... How to spend hours scanning the horizon with binoculars from a peaceful anchorage? ...... How would you design a curriculum for living aboard? I just don't understand!
Old 23-05-2013, 21:45   #17

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I don't seem to have a good understanding of a "liveaboard" sailing school. I've always thought that the best learning for sailing was aboard little boats because they respond immediately to the actions of the helmsman. I guess that there is a purpose in learning how to maneuver a larger boat to and from the dock, but as far as "liveaboard" goes,- I don't understand the lesson objectives. Maybe I should know of something to this goal since my wife and I have been liveing aboard for 42 years. I could teach "livingaboard" I guess, but what would it be? .... How to fold the bike? .... How to pack the bicycles and the groceries and the laundry in the dinghy? ..... How to mix and stir the sundowner? .... sun protection? ...casual reading? .... How to spend hours scanning the horizon with binoculars from a peaceful anchorage? ...... How would you design a curriculum for living aboard? I just don't understand!
Perhaps living aboard brings an intimacy with the working parts of the boat as well as sea conditions (as long as you don't liveaboard at a dock 24/7), more so than an occasional stepping aboard to learn practical sailing?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I don't seem to have a good understanding of a "liveaboard" sailing school.
It's really pretty simple. For those who haven't spent much time aboard boats, but are considering it for the future, it gives them a way to learn about boats and sailing, as well as what it is like to live in the close quarters of a boat, all at once.

The introductory ASA and USS classes are about sail trim and that sort of thing. The liveaboard classes are more about how to use a marine head, how to manage meals when on board, how to anchor, dock, that sort of thing.

After years of living aboard, I'm sure this all comes as second nature to you, but for someone who is new to it, a liveaboard class can be an excellent introduction. You might be surprised to find out that a fair percentage who dream of sailing off over the horizon are shocked at what life on-board a boat is really like. They thought it would be just like living in a home, only surrounded by the ocean, beautiful views, idyllic beaches, etc. For them, a liveaboard class is a whole lot less expensive way to find out that the dream isn't quite what they imagined than buying a boat would be.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:56   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Hmmm.... 'guess I understand; but then, all those who are out boating and not living aboard are docking, anchoring, using the head, responsible for the working parts of the boat and subject to sea conditions. Maybe I have lived aboard so long that I'm not sensitive to the move from a house to a boat. I would probably need some instruction if I found myself in a house. Taking the hike from the kitchen to the bathroom with the option of returning by another path. Avoiding the tendency to live totally within one of the closets. Lawns, dirt and open windows! ...oh my!
Old 24-05-2013, 06:13   #20

Maybe the confusion comes from the term "liveaboard class." It means a class during which you live aboard the boat. As opposed to a class where you are staying in a hotel, or whatever, and just spending days on the boat. It is not a class about how to live, full time, aboard a boat.
Old 24-05-2013, 06:16   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Maybe the confusion comes from the term "liveaboard class." ...........
Thanks for that! Now I fully understand that I was confused! This sounds far more reasonable.
Old 24-05-2013, 06:16   #22

Boat: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Maybe the confusion comes from the term "liveaboard class." It means a class during which you live aboard the boat. As opposed to a class where you are staying in a hotel, or whatever, and just spending days on the boat. It is not a class about how to live, full time, aboard a boat.
This....while taking the 101,103, yada yada courses during the day you also get to spend the nights on the boat. You get exposed to cooking your meals, taking your showers, using the head/Marina facilities, on the boat....

My wife and I enjoyed it because we don't own and don't have access to OPB's.

Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 06:36   #23

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

In the 80's, when I was learning how to sail...the curriculum of living aboard "Bare Boat Chartering" included: How to extricate yourself from a sand bar...how to change oil and do simple engine maintenance...how to unclog a head and maintain it...how to refit problem lines through the mast...underwater check of the propeller/rudder and their attachments...find where all electrical wiring go through and how to isolate a problem/replacing a fuse...how to check the batteries performance and replace them...troubleshooting rudder/steering issues...and, when it was time to call for assistance. Before taking this course, I needed to complete 5 progressive sailing courses. I was trained on an O'Day 37, with another student and the instructor, in St. Pete - FL; course training lasted 5 full days on the boat. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 08:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
I was trained on an O'Day 37, with another student and the instructor, in St. Pete - FL
Annapolis Sailing School. I was there in the late 70s, staying at the hotel, and took a class. Then, in the mid-80s my then-girlfriend (now wife) took a class there because she knew how much I enjoyed sailing. They ran a pretty good school back then. Gone now, though.
Old 24-05-2013, 10:00   #25

Indeed! Mauritz
Old 24-05-2013, 10:42   #26

Boat: 1976 luger 27 ft.
the reason i was interested in the live aboard classes are many. i thought spending 2000 dollars for a week would be cheaper than going it and spending 20000 on a boat only to find out i hated it. i didn't want to be the guy out in the ocean with no clue on how to tack my boat or trim my sails. i wants to learn and feel how a sailboat works as I've spent little time on them.i wanted to stay in a boat rather than in a hotel while i was on vacation. and the list goes on. unfortunately i was not able to take the liveaboard class however i was able to take my asap 101 class and spent four days sailing. i had a blast. don't thinking the the liveaboard class now as i will take that two grand and out it towards my new boat! :-)
danscotttrudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 11:47   #27

For those of us who do not have all the time in the world to spend on sailing the seven seas, an alternate lifestyle is suggested; fly and charter. For example, in about 10 hours of flight time, you could arrive in French Polynesia; from the US. The next morning, a chartered boat/float plane would be waiting on you; for local sailing to pristine SCUBA diving sites. Less time spent blue-water sailing...more time enjoying pristine areas. (No commitments to boat ownership!) Mauritz
Old 25-05-2013, 10:01   #28

To all, all good thoughts, especially about the differences between 'learning to sail' and 'learning to live aboard'. As a sail training professional and the chair of US Sailing's Training Committee, I'll just point out that you must use the right tool for the job to learn all of the important facets of sailing and cruising. small, tiller steered boats to learn to sail and then, larger cruising boats to develop skills for cruising and bareboat chartering.. you need both. most liveaboard courses understand that and offer basic training for newbies followed by live aboard courses for folks with some basic skills. You can learn allot about cruising in a 'liveaboard' course on a large cruising boat even if you are a newbie, but you won't develop sailing skills quickly and properly. The boats are too big and the mechanical advantage of the wheel robs you of 'feel' which is what you need to develop first to learn to sail.
RMJepsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:47   #29

Smile Re: Live Aboard Sailing School?

Hi,

Living aboard was a big deal for me because I had never done it. Reasons for taking a live aboard sailing class include

(1) to see if one likes living aboard a sailboat.

(2) saving money on hotels which is a lot in the USVI.

(3) going places without needing to rent a car.

(3) getting the certification needed to charter sailboats in the future. ASA 104 requires living aboard a sailboat. See ASA 104.

Best wishes.

John
jaco59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 09:36   #30

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Back in the 1980's my then-hubby and i took a 3 day Learn to Sail course from Offshore Sailing School on Cape Cod Massachusetts. Then we did their 5 day Liveaboard Cruising in the BVI.

Both classes were great. The Liveaboard Cruising class in the BVI was AWESOME. They are a fabulous company and worth every penny.

Why not learn how apparent wind works while sitting in a bathing suit in the cockpit of a beautiful boat in the tropics?

Also, you live with your instructor, so all those tiny questions you think of after class can be answered over a beer or while snorkeling, or whenever.

My now-hubby and I took an 8 day Learn to Sail and Liveaboard Cruising class with J-World in San Diego in 2006 because it was cheaper and closer to home. It didn't compare to the class I had taken with Offshore Sailing School.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, school