Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 08:17   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Lightweight, Medium Firm Mattress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlab View Post
I must be missing the point completely. Whats wrong with a std 4inch thick all foam cell mattress, most common in homes, at cottages, in boats. This is the standard in production boats too. 3-5 kg each bed. They come in different firmness. Cost $20/bed.
Could you please point me where these cost $20 per bed?

The last time I ordered foam, years ago, it was from a company called Ronco. And the beds were several hundred dollars each. In fact, it was the most expensive part of the refit. Because only the low density foam that you sink down into is cheap. The kind you need for sleeping on was extremely expensive.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
+1, it's what we have and enjoy sleeping on. Less than 50 lbs/22 kg for a queen size, but I don't know how much less. We just go to the local foam shop.

If your bunks are relatively standard, Ikea sells foam mattresses made out of ~2lb/ft3 foam with cover, etc. Come in at 40 lbs or so for a queen and 7" thick.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/morgeda...gray-30277389/

The advantages to the local foam shop are that you can get custom shapes and choose your specific firmness, the Ikea route gives a complete package with one wallet extraction.
My berths are all queen size. Luckily, I don’t have to deal with weird shapes and weird sizes.

The IKEA one looks great. It would be nice to go because you can feel it first. But, I’m stranded out here in the middle of nowhere. And I need to get one like now. So I was thinking I would grab something off Amazon. But I don’t know what to get. There are so many.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:26   #18

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Could you please point me where these cost $20 per bed?

The last time I ordered foam, years ago, it was from a company called Ronco. And the beds were several hundred dollars each. In fact, it was the most expensive part of the refit. Because only the low density foam that you sink down into is cheap. The kind you need for sleeping on was extremely expensive.
I think they forgot a 0.

https://www.sailrite.com/High-Densit...rm-4-x-36-x-80

4x36x80 - firm - $250

Edit: and weighs in at about 20 lbs
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:34   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You know I'd agree with Gord. I have spent MANY nights as a river guide sleeping on the ground, usually on a Thermarest. BUT you'd be amazed how comfortable a queen size inflatable bed can be, and cheaper than foam, yes. Given that you aren't laying the mattress on any branches or rocks, the chances of puncture are low and even if you do, and can't patch it for some reason, they are cheap enough you can keep a spare handy. I don't have any brands in mind, but I'd look at those with some kind of cloth-like covering.
When I replaced my foam cushions I went to a foam store and they had 2 levels of firmness for seat cushions. They recommended the more firm kind, BUT that is for sitting on. I got the softer kind, and I had the faux leather fabric cut loose too so that the fabric did not try to stiffen the cushion. I have a 1.5" memory foam on top of that and that is very comfortable, but that is in a v-berth. If I had a queen size area I'd go with the air matress. The "inflatable beds" are probably great but way too big methinks.
You might check the REI queen air matress too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:24   #20

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
If "reasonable price" was not in the equation you could go for a 2 or 3 inch foam over the Froly system.
+1. We put Froli 'springs' under our V-berths. You can select firm or softer pieces to customize the support however you like.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:05   #21

Wow. Two very knowledgeable and respectable guys I’m here said air mattresses are good. I’m going to try one. If I don’t like it, I can always go to form because they’re not very expensive. I’m going to get one right now and see how it goes. I’ll definitely report back.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:06   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I had none of those negative experiences - not on land camping, nor on boat.
Don't recall brand, but could very well have been Coleman [common brand].
Were canvas exterior [red & blue], bonded to [some kind of] rubber/pvc liner.
I used to use those Coleman Air Mattresses also, but I had better luck with them on land camping than on my boat.

To use one on the boat, I have to go into the V Berth but many times it's noisy in there with waves, wind, and sometimes anchor rope noises. Plus getting up to go to the bathroom from the V Berth is sort of a stretching/gym event each time.

I still have one on the boat with the foot pump and use it at times when at a calm anchorage.

I had a custom settee cushion made a couple years ago which is 5" thick but it was like $750 and that settee has a cover over part of it where your feet go. It's pretty tight.

Now that I have removed the cabinet that covered the other settee I plan to used several Alps Sleeping pads and maybe the custom made cushion from the port settee turn over. That settee has more space and allows me to sleep facing the interior of the boat.

The Alps Sleeping Pads are 1" - 4" thick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37394781550...e1b0c5ead560aa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00284.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	254309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888 (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	254310  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0893 (2).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	254311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894 (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	254312  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:06   #23

And you know what else? That Sailrite foam looks pretty good. That’s what I’m gonna try next if the air mattress doesn’t work out.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:34   #24

Oh yeah. I nearly forgot about one of the main reasons I was looking at air mattresses to start with. Because of all of the allergies I have that were kicked off by epoxy, I have to bag my mattress in plastic anyway. All the little bugs and whatever that live in everyone’s mattresses, I am pretty allergic to. Pillows also. So I figured no place for them to live is a good thing.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:13   #25

Well, I got the Enterplex to try these things out. I’ll definitely report back on how it goes and if I’ll be switching to the foam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S6...b_b_prod_image
Old 12-03-2022, 12:15   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Well, I got the Enterplex to try these things out. I’ll definitely report back on how it goes and if I’ll be switching to the foam.

That's the one I was looking at too. Hope it works out well. For $70 it's worth a shot.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 13:43   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

With air mattresses, you pretty much have to buy high quality. This used to be Coleman, and the mattress was covered by a neoprene with cotton-like fabric. it had metal fittings for holding the air in. I used it heavily for about 15 years, tent camping. It did fail, but 15 yrs. was satisfactory service, to me...a known cheapskate.

For foam, plastic foam weighs way less than latex, and doesn't last very well at all, imo. Even the commercial mattress grades. We've been pretty disappointed with them.

Do remember, you'll need some kind of underlayment (like the Froli system), to keep mold down. We use closed cell foam bonded to the underside of our mattress, but the mold then forms between the open cell foam of the mattress and the closed cell, and that solution will not work for you because of your allergies.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 12-03-2022, 14:21   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
With air mattresses, you pretty much have to buy high quality. This used to be Coleman, and the mattress was covered by a neoprene with cotton-like fabric. it had metal fittings for holding the air in. I used it heavily for about 15 years, tent camping. It did fail, but 15 yrs. was satisfactory service, to me...a known cheapskate.

For foam, plastic foam weighs way less than latex, and doesn't last very well at all, imo. Even the commercial mattress grades. We've been pretty disappointed with them.

Do remember, you'll need some kind of underlayment (like the Froli system), to keep mold down. We use closed cell foam bonded to the underside of our mattress, but the mold then forms between the open cell foam of the mattress and the closed cell, and that solution will not work for you because of your allergies.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Bed slats might work as a cheaper alternative to the foli system. It allows air space/circulation under any type of mattress. Easy to fabricate, easier to buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Furniture-Signature-Design-Collection/dp/B01ERJFBQM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=bed+slats+queen&qid=164712 3148&sr=8-6
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 14:51   #29

Boat: GS 37 BC

Quote:

Air beds are really nice onshore. Does anyone have any experience while on passage? I'd imagine they wont support in any degree of heel?

The $20 beds (single) were off cuts, but very firm and do a great job at our summer cottage in the Baltic's. I've never understood the super high mattress prices, but I sleep well on almost every mattress. On foam, US IKEA seems to be 2x the European, a 80x200cm inlc. the cover sells at EUR50 right now.
citlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 15:46   #30

Boat: O'Day 40

We have 2" very firm foam on the bottom, then 2" medium firm, then a very soft 1" on top and a fluffy wool mattress topper.
We've learned the hard way that there is a big variety of qualities all claiming similar characteristics.
I suspect Sailrite will have good quality but a least one of the big on-line suppliers sells crap.
The best quality for us was a local shop supplying Canadian made foam.