Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 07:16   #16

Boat: Quickstep 24
Re: Lightning Strike on a For Sale Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
If the lightning came down the mast, it will have followed the copper wire number 6 down to the keel..
I would question this comment. Experience has shown that lightning does not have a standard modus operandi. In fact, it walks to the tune of a different drummer, each time. It has a mind of its own and does whatever it feels like with no respect for our prognostications or hard beliefs.
There are a million stories about what lightening (on boats and otherwise) had done and in each case no two are exactly the same and some are completely outrageous. But then, that's the hand you're dealt when studying the effects of lightning.
There have been serious lightning strikes (visually witnessed) wherein nothing at all happened. Nothing. No damage to anything. There are many cases where the strike followed a sharp angled turn where our deduction shows it "should" have continued straight on along the path of greatest conductance, but clearly did not. It just has a mind of its own. I'd act accordingly if I were you. Don't assume anything. Check everything. There are a passel of stories where strange and unbelievable damage was hidden from view and once discovered makes no sense -- except, there it is as proof.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:33   #17

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

As just a very rough guesstimate, given just the 'known unknowns', I'd assume a 50% +/- reduction of the price, compared to the same 'unstruck' vessel?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:23   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
As just a very rough guesstimate, given just the 'known unknowns', I'd assume a 50% +/- reduction of the price, compared to the same 'unstruck' vessel?
Thanks. I’ve done a mental tally and believe that’s about right.
Fair Winds all.
Norm
Piratenorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:40   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Il would look carefully at the areas were the stands and blocking contacted the hull. The strike would probably need to find a path to ground.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:11   #20

Boat: Tartan 4100

A few years ago, there was a Beneteau on the hard in Lewisetta Virginia that was hit. The path that the lightening took was down the mast, then traveled out of the trough hulls, made a pathway through the fiberglass then down through the jackstands to ground. I guess the fiberglass was damp enough for the lightening to travel, it looked like a spider web. I never found out what the insurance did with the boat but it had some delamination in the glass.
Not sure how much confidence I would have in such a case.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:26   #21

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

If it has a bolt on keel and a direct electrical connection between the keel and mast then that would be the likely path of the largest current surge. Lightning is pretty predictable if there is a good low impedance path to the water/ ground. If Zeus had to find his own way, then all bets are off.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:13   #22

Boat: Omega 36

Do not take this chance.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:35   #23

Boat: Endeavour 42

I have been hit while in the water several times. Boat was surveyed after each strike, and Insurance covered identified losses except for the deductible. I would ask if the boat was plugged in when hit, if so the exit could have been through the AC power systems, which adds to the potential losses.

I was plugged in to shore power and as well as losing all my electronics, radar and everything, I lost control modules in the air conditioner and refrigeration.

On the exterior there were a few spider webs around the through hulls and delamination of the rudder.

Surveyor said to remove all bottom paint, redo the with multiple coats of epoxy barrier up to 2 inches above normal water line repaint bottom and match the striping and white topsides. He was concerned about possible pinholes in the hull but said the 4-6 coats of epoxy barrier would protect it. The last strike was 30 years ago, still using the boat, live aboard and cruise during the summers. Still carry an agreed value policy with the same insurance company, so they must feel good.

One thing he did, was remove the mast, remove all the light bulbs and run a HIPOT test between the wires. This identified some leakage which was cured by a mast rewire. He also ran some tests on interior wiring, which was much harder to do, and checked for leakage on the breakers, ended up replacing most DC breakers and a few AC. Some breakers had enough leakage to have lights glow at a low level with the breaker off.

1985 Endeavour 42, original owner. I still find minor issues in the interior wiring such as corrosion in a wire run, 5 feet from any connector and good clean tinned wire both sides. I started replacing all the wiring about 3 years ago and am slowly working my way through it.

If you choose to buy, remember that you will find issues regularly and simply have to fix them as found, but if the value is there, you can have a lot of fun while you occasionally have to work.
eemahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:49   #24

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Run Away-----FAST! Boat in my marina struck. Looked O
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, for sale, lightning, sale