Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 01:06   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Lightning Strike, Anyone ? Just Come to Panama

I am at Shelter Bay Marina. One 50 ft cat is going a whole electronic revamp.
He got hit by lightning within the last month in Panama Bay anchored out at Amador. Another guy was hit 4 days ago near Portobello on the Caribbean side of Panama, fried everything.. He was in the middle of about 10 other boats around. Another guy had a near hit and fried some small things in his boat but not the larger thing like SSB.. A guy from South Africa said the lightning around Panama is the worst he has seen anywhere he has cruised in the world. I met another couple and they got hit in the marina Bocas Del Toro..6 months ago They and another couples boat next to them were hit together. $50k damage and $5k deductable.

I need a good lightning rod and grounding system if I am going to stay here.

Also to note a couple was robbed on their boat at knife point East of Colon at a place I believe is called Lindeman.. No one hurt just computer and other valuables taken.. Details sketchy.. Other boats around. 3 guys boarded their boat at night.. News should be out on the Cruising net soon .. Boat was named BLUE SKY I think. or something similar
Old 10-10-2009, 07:54   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
About a month ago my boat was struck, at Pier 39 in San Francisco,during all night electrical storm,whole boat shook.Melted VHF antenna coax where it plugs into radio,and melted power wire near fuse at back of radio.Cut out bad section,replaced fuse block,radio still works.I got lucky.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning, Panama, Panama Canal