Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 09:32   #1

Light Trailer Sailor Advice

After years of sailing big boats offshore for fun & profit, I'm now looking to fill some spare time with a small (under 2000 lbs, on the trailer), used sailboat, to use locally, and haul to places near & far for daysailing & short camping trips for two. Shoal draft a plus, but I'd like it to sail well, too.
I'm looking at a West Wight Potter 19 and a Sea Pearl Trimaran, but would welcome the accumulated wisdom of the community not only on those, but any other candidates you suggest I consider.
In advance, thanks for your thoughts.
Jack
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:48   #2

Re: light trailer sailor advice

I know the WW Potters are well liked, but that's about all I can offer. Under 2000 including the trailer isn't going to happen though... doesn't the trailer weigh over half that? Go for a retractable keel, trailering boats with keels can be a PITA.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 10:01   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Since you are in FL, I will add the Precision line to your list. We liked the interior layout of the Precision 18 better than the WW and other boats of similar size. One reason is that they have a partial keel that the centerboard retracts into. You get the shallow draft (but not beachable), the ease of trailering, and as open a cabin as you can on an 18' boat.
Old 14-09-2015, 11:28   #4

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

+1 for the Precision. We had a Precision 21 for a couple of years and loved it. It was fast, easy to maintain and we sold it for more than we paid for it. Towed it to the Keys for two weeks of island hopping, spending every night on it. The long cockpit was great for stretching out under the bimini with a book and a beer. Ours had a 5hp Honda and that was plenty. I don't remember what it weighed, but towed it with my company car, a V-6 Pontiac Bonneville with no trouble running the speed limit. Greenhand's point about the centerboard keel and kick up rudder is a good one. We could anchor in 3' of water, climb down the ladder and walk ashore. Ours did not have a pop top like the Catalina 22, another great boat to consider. BTW, Precision manufactures the Colgate 26 for the Colgate sailing school and customer support is good. It's been 16 years and I still miss that boat. Good luck with your search.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 12:18   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Light Trailer Sailor Advice

Check out Small Craft Advisor a magazine about these boats. I have a West Wight Potter 19, so I'm biased. I haul it with a Ford ranger 3.0 liter engine, But I have hauled with an older Ranger with a 2.5 liter engine.
Old 14-09-2015, 14:52   #6

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

According to their website, the shipping weight of the Precision 18, boat + trailer, is 1420 lbs. A no frills aluminum trailer is pretty light!
Old 14-09-2015, 15:35   #7

Thanks to all who have added their two cents - I have looked up the Precision 18, and even found a used one for sale. A contender.
Still open for more thoughts.
Thanks,
Jack
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 08:07   #8

Boat: Seaward 25

We have lots of friends with Montgomerys, both the 15 and 17. They are pretty fanatical in their praise of the boats and I can't recall any owners selling theirs and buying a Potter or Precision of similar size.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 08:37   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

As a multihuller who's about to buy a 36' tri, I admit my bias, but I also had a Catalina 22 we towed. I can say one thing with certainty - IF you can tolerate the reduced living space and utilize cockpit area or tramps, you will never have as much fun as with a small trailerable tri. There are lots of ideas on using boom tents, etc... to make more living space.

Just a thought!
~Lee
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:34   #10

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I had to remove Karen's rig to get into Patrick AFB'S MARINA. I get my sailing fix by renting their Precision 18. What a fun boat. Also , they race 2nd Saturday of the month in the Banana River, where the largest boat is an Alberg 30. Last Saturday, I crewed on a Santana 20, another great boat that sails like a dinghy.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:03   #11

Boat: Beneteau 423

A small Corsair might work for you if you can handle a slightly higher trailing weight. Not sure how many of these are available used, but it look pretty nice.

Sprint 750 MKII | Corsair Marine – The worlds best trailerable trimaran yachts
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:47   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Victoria 18 is something you might want to look at. My friend really liked his.

There is a Ranger 20 here that sails very well.

The Catalina 22 is a lot heavier than what you are looking for but I really like them for roominess.
Old 15-09-2015, 11:03   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
A small Corsair might work for you if you can handle a slightly higher trailing weight. Not sure how many of these are available used, but it look pretty nice.

Sprint 750 MKII | Corsair Marine – The worlds best trailerable trimaran yachts
The Sprint is the race version of the boat, for cruising I would go with the Dash 750. But for a whole lot less one of the F-24 Mk2's would be high on my list. They also trailer a foot of the ground, since you don't have a keel taking up space.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:17   #14

Had a Sirius 21 trailerable for a while, comes in about 2000 pounds, used to pull it with a Chev S-10 with a 2.8l v6.
I thought it was much more like a big boat than a dingy sailing wise. Center board fully retracts, easy to launch and rig. Had a 4 horse outboard on it.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:38   #15

Boat: Scout 30

Check out the Scamp. Coolest new design around!

https://www.facebook.com/SmallCraftA...agazineProject
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail