Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 19:51   #16

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Re: Life of a Sober Sailor

Been watching sailors get drunk for over 50 years withiout indulging. They like having me around to drive 'em home. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2012, 20:19   #17

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I quit drinking and sailing once. Worst 15 minutes of my life.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:58   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas5131 View Post
Thanks to all of you

Same here. Think I was 28 before I realized that everyone did not drink until drunk.
I had a Dark and Stormy tonight, but in a pint glass with lots of cubes and mostly ginger ale. The Kraken rum is nice in smaller amounts.

But I was helming a couch. For me, situational awareness at sea is first. I don't even own a car, but consider very top-of-mind the fact that on the water, I am in charge of many tons of moving thing. Never mind running aground, even sailing in 12 knots of wind, at 5 knots I could kill two kids in a kayak and never hear it...if I was helming drunk.

So when considered in that light, I have to say sailing has really cut into my drinking. I rarely even have a beer on the water, and by the time we tie up and put away, I'm too tired and windblown to want to sit in the cockpit throwing 'em back.

Were I on passage, on watch or even at anchor in some tropical lagoon, I could relax, but not with alcohol. I'm too paranoid about making an avoidable mistake.

So don't think of yourself as the death of the party, particularly if you can't easily moderate alcohol intake.

Think of yourself as the designated sailor, and learn to drink tumblers of lime-kissed soda or ginger ale or coconut water or whatever.

Or simply don't hang out with excessive drinkers. Yes, there's a few "touched by a pirate" types, but they don't last long and don't often leave dock.

Hang out with real sailors. They tend to be more sober, and can limit their intake a lot sooner, because boats are a lot less predictable than cars. Or even walking home.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 21:08   #19

Boat: Currently boatless

I've found that being sober has no impact on my social life while cruising/sailing.
Soda pop, juice or water at a potluck or bar while telling and listening to sail stories.
"No thanks, I don't drink" always works for me
It's good to be a sober guy.
Old 06-09-2012, 21:35   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

In the little yacht club I helped start 11 years ago there was a potluck every month and board meeting every month. I could count on my fingers the number of times I saw folks bring alcholic beverages to the potlucks. I don't know why but there are a whole bunch of non-drinking sailors here.

I do drink occasionally in social situations but I don't drink while I'm sailing. I'm over that and think about safety much more than I used to. Three of my best sailing buddies don't drink at all so its easy for me not to as well when I'm with them.

kind regards,
Old 06-09-2012, 22:35   #21

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

A tale of terror I care not to read