Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 08:48   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive
Liability Insurance in Bahamas

We are in the process of getting insurance for a new (to me) catamaran for cruising the northeast coast now and Bahamas next winter. Our boat is US-based and flagged.
Insurance quotes are coming in slowly, but one caught my eye as reasonable, but only out to 125 miles from the US and Canadian coast.
We are not sure how far into the Bahamas we will get, but I expect it will be further than 125 miles from the US coast.

We are interested to know what others that are US-based/flagged are doing for insurance for cruising outside US waters.
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:00   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Liability Insurance in Bahamas

I have similar coverage, and it definitely ceases to exist if I actually enter a 3rd country. In my case the mileage limit is not the only constraint.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 19:46   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've had a few policies for Bahamas cruising. Atlas and Boat U.S. were two. I suspect you may be talking about Progressive coverage. I looked into it but never purchased it. It's affordable coverage which includes the northern Abacos, down to about Green Turtle Cay as I recall.

This covers only a very small fraction of the Bahamas, but if your goal is to cruise and explore some nearby, low visited Bahamas islands, it may suffice. Again, I never purchased their insurance, but I've read many favorable reviews from those who did and were happy limmiting their cruising grounds to their covered areas.

The best deal I had was Boat U.S. liability only insurance, but they stopped offering that for my intended needs anyways.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:56   #4

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive

You are correct, it was Progressive. Geico was crazy expensive and severely limited to what they would cover.
Many others are basically getting out of the business of insuring anything older than 10 years.
There was one who wouldn't cover anything on the Gulf coast or south of SC and even Suffolk County New York!
Others wouldn't insure anything above 25 feet!
I haven't experiences such a limited insurance pool before. I happily used Boat/US (now Gieco) for years without any issues or limitations.
It is all a new game I guess. This tells me there are probably a huge amount of people who will be boating without insurance coverage. Hopefully I am wrong, but if you don't have a loan it isn't required. Although if you are staying at a marina for any length of time, some demand a copy of your policy and demand to be put on as a named insured.
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:02   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

The thread title says "liability" insurance. Are you really asking about full insurance?
Old 04-05-2021, 05:41   #6

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Get an insurance broker to find you a good policy. I have always used Wells with good results. https://www.wellsins.com/services/we...ine-insurance/
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:04   #7

BoatUS or Geico will add an additional Bahama rider to the basic coastal policy. I don't remember the cost, but it was like $200-$500
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, insurance