Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 15:04   #1

Boat: shipman 28
legal requirement in sailing around europe and mediterranean

Hi all, i own a 28 ft boat and im planning to sail around the mediterranean and around europe for the summer, my boat is irish and not registered, don't have an MMSI number for the radio. Will i have problems in sailing around europe?
Many thanks
marcodnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 14:19   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: legal requirement in sailing around europe and mediterranean

You don't *need* a MMSI for your radio. If your radio includes a transmitter and you want to sail out of your home country, you need a ship's station radio license (an international requirement). This document will include a callsign. It should be displayed close to the radio. However, controls by authorities (Customs, police, etc.) are not frequent.

See Licensing of boats and watercraft in Ireland

The application form is to be downloaded here: http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8398-0.pdf

In the form, it seems that it's not necessary for the vessel to be registered.

A MMSI is only necessary if your radio has DSC capability or if you have an EPIRB. In these cases, the MMSI should be allocated by the authority together with the license and mentioned on it.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 14:35   #3

Thank you very much Alan, that was a great answer!
Enjoy the volvo ocean race
Old 07-06-2012, 14:48   #4

Another thing Alan, is there anything else i should be aware of? like if i need a day skipper or yachtmaster certificate?
Many thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 16:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodnn View Post
Another thing Alan, is there anything else i should be aware of? like if i need a day skipper or yachtmaster certificate?
Many thanks
Some countries apparently require an International Certificate of Competence. I notice you are in Ireland. The Irish Sailing Association can grant them. It is a short theory test and a practical test. It can be done in a day easily.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 21:03   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Ireland does not require leisure vessels to be registered if confined to the waters of Ireland and/or the uk. Outside of this for international voltages your vessel is supposed to be registered on the commercial ships register.

For a second hand boat the whole process is a pain and requires you to prove the vat and ownership right back to the EU importer. There is no equivalent small ships register like the uk SSR. ( so registration involves surveys and measuring etc ) So therefore many do not register. As a non legal substitute you can use the ISAs small vessel registration scheme. It has no legal standing but tends to keep the fuzzy fuzzies at bay . ( occasionally it doesn't in Portugal especially villamoura as the lady there knows her onions ) If you can it's worth getting be full registration ( even if the resulting document doesn't fit in any modem photocopy machine as its huge )

As to a ships radio if one is fitted you need a ships license AND a operators cert for one person on board. Note that you can only apply for an Irish ships radio license using a Irish,, German, Finnish, radio operators license. You cannot one if you have an RYA operators VHF license. The license is now a fixed fee lifetime one. ( 30 euros I think) you cannot legally get a ships license for a hand held vhf alone, Epirbs, radar and any other emitting device are also supposed to be listed on the ships radio license, few bother. Epirbs are registered separately on the Irish Epirb database. Note that' certainly until recently and it may have changed it is not possible to register GPIRBS on the Irish Epirb database, check before you buy.

Contrary to what was said , if you have a DSC fitted radio you must and will be provided with an mmsi.. Since the sale of non dsc radios is effectively forbidden in Europe for several years now, you'll generally need an mmsi.

Abroad proof of insurance will the single most asked for item. you will not get into any marina without it. If sailing in Greece you may need an authorised translation into Greek , but in practice I've used the English version

No competency cert is required in Ireland and the only country requiring one officially in the med is Croatia, where a long list of Certs are excepted including ISA , RYA and ICC Certs of various types all of which can be obtained in Ireland. Some countries officials like in Portugal mistaking beleive that the ICC is required as your country requires it. However it's a rare occurrence and I wouldn't fret about it. ( get something if you can ,) the ICC is a on water and theory exam but relatively easy, only the ISA can issue irish nationals with an ICC , despite what some RYA schools tell you. ( you must have an ISA qualification to automatically claim a ICC, eg an ISA day skipper ticket automatically qualifies you for the ICC )

Dave

Tags
legal, mediterranean, sailing