Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Leaving the nest?

plans are for those with ocd. they are made to be dumped by the sea gods as fast as you can make em.

of there wasnt a fear factor we would not be doing this

a little fear is a good thing-it keeps you aware of surroundings and sounds and what did that nise mean stuff===keeps you alive..and living.

chris--i didnt have much plan when i left-i did want to go to panama as quickly as possible--is still that--but quickly changes its definition as you cruise---refits become fun in places with good mechanics and refitter who dont charge 100 usd per hour.

seaworthy becomes floating and propellable--do the rest later or under way --isnt that difficult to do while cruising--is actually the truthful definition of cruising---fixing boat in exotic locations..
even brand new boats ar in this category--repairing as they cruise--met those souls also-they werent as happy as ami to get from point a to point b as they thunk their perfect boat was that--and no boat is perfect ever.

perfection in a boat is a state of mined. so is fear.

there is always a way ......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I assume most on CF began their sailing endeavors locally - either coastal cruising or in lakes.

I'd like to hear about your first sailing endeavor outside your local comfort zone where you felt in your gut like maybe you were testing the limits of your knowledge and skill (as in having second thoughts about the whole idea).

Could be anything: a 20 nm daysail and anchoring for the first time based upon your limited ability to read charts, intentionally heading out in heavy weather, your first charter in the BVI, crossing the English Channel, etc.

I'm a somewhat newer sailor and try to stretch myself in some way every time I go out. But the most interesting experience with that was last year when I set myself the goal of taking the boat out every day for a week.

I actually did it eight days in a row, and the big thing I discovered was that without being aware of it, I had been "cherry picking" the days I went out. Didn't go if the wind was low, or a little high, or if the chance of rain was "too high," etc.

When the goal was to sail every day, I sailed on the kinds of days I'd skipped before and found that sticking to a comfort zone can keep your skill levels stuck where they are.

Didn't encounter anything I couldn't handle, but learned more about both me and my boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Raku,

All in the same font and everything, this didn't stick out much, but, WOW, excellent!

"When the goal was to sail every day, I sailed on the kinds of days I'd skipped before and found that sticking to a comfort zone can keep your skill levels stuck where they are."

This is an accurate and perceptive statement that applies to all of us. One must exceed the comfort zone to make progress. Another way of saying it is, "Experience is what you get just after you needed it!"

Ann
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42   #19

Seems like every time you do something new there is going to be some fear as fear is often rooted in the unknown. At first it was leaving and docking, that alone was enough to bring fear. Then it was the actual hoisting of sails and sailing. Then it was using the windvane. Then it was getting into some summer squalls. Eventually all that seemed easy enough.

Then you start going further. Crossing bridges was scary the first few times. Learning to navigate in new places the first few times. Anchoring the first few times.

Eventually we got caught in a storm anchored off Dauphine island in 50kts of wind and huge fetch while on a lee shore. The anchor held. But it was an eye opening experience. Afterwards we crossed mobile bay in pretty high winds and stiff chop dodging rigs and tankers. High stress at the time.

But every time you go through one of those experiences, the next time doesn't seem quite as bad because you have some expectation of what its going to be like.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

I agree, nice post Raku! I love the "everyday commitment. Good, helpful stuff here!
Thx much Z . You are right of course and not plan as much as process for managing fear of leaving.
What's the saying... If you want to give the Gods a good laugh make a plan!
Thanks all!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 13:48   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re RAku's sail every day plan:

Another way to accomplish this is to sign up for a race series. Once committed, you will show up on the start line no matter what the wx is. Some race committees cancel if the f/c or the measured wind is above some arbitrary limit (America's cup, anyone?), some don't, but you will be there just in case it is a go, rain or shine. A good learning experience for most folks, even if you are not a competitive boat/skipper.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 14:19   #22
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I was never afraid at the outset, only after I had been sailing for years. Go figure.

Ann
+1

Me too - blissful ignorance and all that...

I also find myself more afraid before and after bad weather - during I dont feel anything - sometimes really enjoy it. It is after it all passes that i sometimes get a bit of the shakes and sleeplees nights if it was a bad patch.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 15:53   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

My first honest to God sailing voyage originated in Seward, AK, and the first land fall was Seattle, WA. Took a knock down in the Strait of Georgia. Then on down the west coast to the Marquesas, and beyond. I haven't been the same since.
Old 05-09-2013, 16:27   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

It is funny how some threads, innocuous as they seems to start out, turns out some really wise posts. This is one of those threads.

Tags
paracelle