Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 05:13   #16

Re: Leaving a boat in a marina overseas. How safe is it?

I took my Gib sea 33 to France via the canal du Midi 10 years ago (a wonderful and never to be forgotten experience} and she was left in Britany for the first winter, safe and secure. Since then she has overwintered across the south of France and Corsica and well looked after everywhere. Currently based at Fos sur Mer near Marseille
I am approaching my 80th Birthday and am having to consider selling her early next year and am not expecting any problems in that respect.

Richard Ash

rjash6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:01   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

My plans are slowly taking shape. Most likely early next year I will go to Europe and buy a boat (small monohull yacht about 28 ft). I can sail it for over a month, but then I have to go back to Australia and work for another year. The year of work allow me to save up and prepare the boat properly for livaboard. After that last year of work, things are wide open and I will have much more time to sail.

For that last year of work I am thinking of leaving it on the hard, most likely somewhere in Brittany in France, I am thinking in Brest where there is a marina with hard stands.

The question is: how safe is that? Can accidents happen? Can it get stolen? And what do you do for overwintering? Do you just disconnect the batteries, put anti-freeze in the engine and stow the sails below? Is is useful to put a canopy over the whole boat? Or is there even more to it? Not much information forthcoming from the French marinas I am afraid.

Any recommendations on best places to overwinter a boat in Europe and how to prepare it will be most welcome. I am looking at the Brittany coast as my best option, because I am most likely buying the boat in the UK which is not too far away (but I do not want to keep it the UK). However, further south in France (Atlantic side) or even northern Spain or Portugal are also possibilities. Safety is my primary concern, cost is also important but definitely secondary.

Thanks very much

Hugo

Hey man!

Super pumped that you're getting a new boat! I remember like it was yesterday the first time I bought a boat. I couldn't wait to have it on the water up and running.

To answer your question ~ CatNewBee gave an accurate answer in the sense that it's safe during Europe in general. If it's out of the water, chances are very low, so it won't get stolen, damaged or anything.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Take care,
Mathieu Picard.

Old 08-11-2019, 19:24   #18

Thanks everyone for your response.

For those mentioning the period one can stay with a yacht in Europe etc. Although I am not living in Europe at the moment I have a EU passport and I can stay as long as I like. I presume when the boat is in my name, the same goes for the boat. Brexit and paying VAT again could be a problem if you buy a boat in the UK , but nobody knows what is going to happen anyway, so I am not going to worry about that for now.

Franziska, I am very interested in the marina you mentioned in Cordemais. I googled it, it is south of Brittany but that is great actually, I am thinking about being in Les Sables D' Ollone which is just a little south of there for the next GGR which is in 2022. One question though: there seem to be a lot of bridges on the way into the marina. Do you have to lower the mast when getting in and out?

psp2psp2, great advice on overwintering, I have kept your list, thanks!
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 22:41   #19

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hugo,

they have a hydraulic lift and take you out of the water before the bridge and then drive you to the compound. Mast stays up.

This is done for all boats, even big catamarans over 13m.

If you go to my site www.ladyrover.com and have a look there you find pictures and videos on that too.

Cordemais is small, but has friendly people.
There is a big mall in nearby St. Etienne de Montluc for shopping.
Nantes is a big city and has marine stores and the like.

Only slight drawback is that in a year your deck will collect a bit of the air pollution from the power plant nearby. Still, it's not so bad that the pressure washer can't fix it.
It was never a problem for me anyway.

Good luck & maybe see you in Cordemais :-)
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 00:07   #20

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

In Greece, there is a new cruising tax FYI.... if you pull the boat on the hard then it stops, but if you want to leave it in the water over winter, you have to pay it. For a 53 ft boat it works out to be about 100 euros a month. Much like 3.6 Roentgens, is not great, not terrible.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:25   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Oh and Hugo, as you mentioned "les Sables" we've been there this summer. It's in the latest adventure section of the blog.
Just hit the big grey button on the right side of the first page.

Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat