Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2022, 07:55   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Learning to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
My two cents: I am an ASA instructor through 108 and an Instructor Evaluator. So, I have answered this question many times. The question is always the same and the answer always has a few local condition and personal goals variations. Here's the general response:

Start with sailing lessons at an ASA school. Then, keep sailing and make a point of sailing with as many others as possible.
Follow on with as much reading as you can find. Maybe start with the books by Lin and Larry Pardy and just read them all in order. Liza Copeland has a good series as well.

There are plenty of blogs and vlogs, too. Follow those that sail a boat similar to what you envision yourself sailing.

If you want to PM me I will tell you about places I worked and the strengths/weaknesses of the various programs.

Norm
That's one way.

Another is get a Sunfish or 10" sailing dinghy (about the same price as a sailing course or less) and learn to tack, jib etc. on your own.. Sail it until you learn to sail out and back (no engine of course)

From there get the type sailboat they are racing in your area which could be a 19' Lightning, Thistle, or the route I went was beach cat. (Hobie 16, Nacra 6.0, Nacra F-17)

If you are competitive you will learn very fast by sailing as much as possible, racing as much as possible, then reading about sailing, racing tactics, boat setup, weight distribution, land effect, depth effect on current, sails, batten selection, rudder rake, mast rake, downhaul, etc, etc
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:43   #47

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
The other key thing is learn in a dinghy that can capsize!! The problem with learning in a keelboat is that you can make so many mistakes and you'll never know as the boat is so forgiving. If you make mistakes of sail trim, heel, boat trim, balance etc in a dinghy, you know immediately, you learn cause and effect really quickly.
Very timely video to illustrate my point perfectly: https://youtu.be/rpi8OZsIBq4

The Wynns have done 10,000's of miles but clearly have no idea how to sail properly. Note their total lack of understanding about how sail trim, boat trim and boat heel affect things. Any more wind and there would have been capsizes!!

I'm not hating on them, they are one of my favourite YT channels, but it's just amazing how you can successfully cruise without knowing how to sail.

I know I'm banging on but: learn to sail in a dinghy, preferably by racing, first!!
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:49   #48

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Keep looking but think bigger. I bought a 1980 34' C& C with a new Yanmar 30 hp diesel engine in SE AK for $17,000. Lots of cosmetic work and electronic upgrades needed,, I've been cruising around SE Alaska in the summer for 5 years, I now have about $25k in it with new GPS, sounder, radar, autopilot, foresail and RIB.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:23   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I was talking about the OP. He been on here saying hes about to buy a boat and take lesson….FOR 10 YEARS.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...an-108996.html
Why yes i have. I started trucking actually to get enough cash to buy a boat and.. life happened. Ive saved my nieces college fund, bought a plane, gotten seriously hurt, bought a nice house.. life happens. And now when i retire in 3 years and 10 months ill be able to afford just about any used boat i want and have 6 figures left to sail with.

It seems strange this bothers you.. im not a kid i dont have time to make mistakes and wing it.
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 04:17   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
My two cents: I am an ASA instructor through 108 and an Instructor Evaluator. So, I have answered this question many times. The question is always the same and the answer always has a few local condition and personal goals variations. Here's the general response:

Start with sailing lessons at an ASA school. Then, keep sailing and make a point of sailing with as many others as possible. Learn the rules and techniques of sailing a yacht. Join sailing clubs where you can exchange experiences. If you are interested in the scientific aspects of sailing, you can also order the writing service https://essaylab.com/research_paper_help from professional writers who can help you with any topic related to marine research. After you get enough knowledge, gradually move on to gaining experience and then confidence. Then you can start planning your own sailing trips, perhaps with someone experienced. Choose places that are interesting and suitable for your level, such as the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, or Scandinavia. Don't forget to check the weather and safety before sailing.
Follow on with as much reading as you can find. Maybe start with the books by Lin and Larry Pardy and just read them all in order. Liza Copeland has a good series as well.

There are plenty of blogs and vlogs, too. Follow those that sail a boat similar to what you envision yourself sailing.

If you want to PM me I will tell you about places I worked and the strengths/weaknesses of the various programs.

Norm
I ordered Seraffyn's Mediterranean Adventure, 30th Anniversary Edition for myself, their experience is impressive.
Charlie Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 12:46   #51

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Charlie
Glad I could help.

There is an impressive amount of literature that will advnce your cruising knowledge.

Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 14:35   #52

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Spent many years of my youth racing small dinghies and beach cats. Then added crewing on mid size racers while in college. Found you could always tell those whose background started in small boats. Their sense of boat balance, weight distribution and sail handling is far better. They also were much less likely to have issues docking.
I'm 70 now and getting in and out of a small Opti from a dock is a physical challenge, but sailing it is still very enjoyable. Start small and first see if you actually enjoy sailing, rather than finding out you actually enjoy the idea more than the experience.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, sail