Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 11:11   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Lazy Jack Lines - what to use

I need to get some Lazy Jack lines. What type of line are people using? I am thinking 1/4" nylon but I have seen some boats use thicker (3/8'?) and different types of line.

Any suggestions?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 11:30   #2

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Lazy Jack Lines - what to use

I'd be concerned with nylon failing sooner than expected. I'd use dynema personally as uv wont trash it quickly. Also no need to go up in thickness as 1/8 would be plenty strong
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 11:48   #3

Dyneema (single braid) is slipperiest, creates least chafe on sail and least snagging. Best to splice it rather than knots.
It is also ofc most expensive.

There is no particular need for “extra” thickness in lazy jacks.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 12:46   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico

Good idea...thanks. It doesn't need the strength of Dyneema but the chafe resistance makes sense. Thanks!
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 12:57   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

3/16" Amsteel is plenty big enough and the spliced eyes are are slippery so you don't need blocks. We have over 10 years on our set and I see no UV damage.
Chafe? Most people don't leave them up, do they?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 23:10   #6

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

If your looking for blocks to use in your lazy jack, look at low friction rings.

Buddy boat uses them and seems like a good setup.

As for leaving them up, I've always thought they were there just for lowering sails and then would be pulled out of the way once sail ties were on?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 02:05   #7

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Our lazy jacks are 8mm double braid for the main lines going up the mast, with 6mm for the branched-out lines attached to the bag. Low-friction alloy rings with splices.

They stay up 100% of the time. It's nice not to have to worry about removing them, plus I have not yet seen a system that is sufficiently simple to make removal worth going up on deck. Perhaps some very strong shock cord, maintaining just the right amount of tension on the bag, but allowing me to sweep at least one side of the lines away and attach them around the gooseneck somewhere...

They don't seem to cause any significant problems, so I just leave them in place.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 02:42   #8

use something soft - mine are marlow PS12 (12 strand poly), easy to splice. Dyneema is way too expensive for lazy jack purposes
oksana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 09:32   #9

Boat: Taswell 49

If you are looking for a very inexpensive option, try 1/4" polyester braided clothesline. It is uv resistant because it is being used outdoors, has a reasonable 240lb load capacity and is also pretty friction-less. At least the brand I am using is all of those things. I can't say it will last 10 years but it is doing the job well at the moment.
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 10:02   #10

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Used 1/8" dyneema for my recent set and the little Ronstan aluminum shocks to replace the small blocks. Just used a "finger pull" splice with some stitching covered with heat shrink tubing.
Mine are retractable and I spliced a short length of 3/16" trophy braid on the end that I have to handle.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 10:10   #11

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

https://jiffyjax.com/ will custom make you some for about the price of doing it yourself (depending on how much you pay yourself). They use 1/4 Sta-set-type line, and splice to stainless thimbles (in lieu of blocks). The thimbles are plenty slick and in my opinion look bristol. They include all mounting hardware as well.
In theory, I retract them when sailing, but sometimes I am lazy and I don't, and I don't see chaffing that much of an issue during those times.
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 10:28   #12

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

25mm webbing with loops and "quick release" buckles.
I say "quick release" not because they can come undone quickly but because they can be easily and quickly removed when not in use. Trust me when they are secured they aren't coming undone accidentally or under load.

Webbing because it lies flat on the deck and doesn't create a slip or trip hazard.

I use dynema soft shackles to route them inboard between cockpit and mast rather than have them running outboard along the toe rails.

Don't need them rigged all the time where we sail and in the conditions we generally sail in but if the forecast suggests wilder conditions they take a few moments to rig between the cleats and mast. Like most safety equipment I hope I'll never need to use the in anger.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 11:52   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Make them strong and long lasting enough to used as a topping lift, in a pinch.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
25mm webbing with loops and "quick release" buckles.
I say "quick release" not because they can come undone quickly but because they can be easily and quickly removed when not in use. Trust me when they are secured they aren't coming undone accidentally or under load.

Webbing because it lies flat on the deck and doesn't create a slip or trip hazard.

I use dynema soft shackles to route them inboard between cockpit and mast rather than have them running outboard along the toe rails.

Don't need them rigged all the time where we sail and in the conditions we generally sail in but if the forecast suggests wilder conditions they take a few moments to rig between the cleats and mast. Like most safety equipment I hope I'll never need to use the in anger.

Hmmm, I think we are confusing equipment names....
Cheers
Fleam
fleamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 13:49   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

On my Pearson 35 used 1/4" dacron double braid. On the Sabre 28 used 3/16". Did away with the blocks, except for cheek blocks on mast, and used cheap brass rings picked up on eBay.

This the design I used for both boats: https://goodoldboat.com/lazy-jacks-m...l-tamers/other boats:

The LJ's run up to cheek blocks about 1/2 way between spreader and mast head then back down to cleats on the mast. Store the LJ's on the mast when not in use by hooking them under the cleat on the mast.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote