Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 14:02   #16

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Laura Dekker - Youngest Circumnavigator to Sail Alone Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
... She now lives, with her husband, on a small boat in Oz. Plans to keep on living that way forever I guess. ...
Thanks Thomm for posting the video; I read the book and it's nice to see what she's really like in person. But I just read on some other CF thread that's it's illegal to live permanently on a boat in Oz (apparently they make some allowance for overseas yachts only). In the video she says she is living in New Zealand. I recall from the book that she was so sickened by the 'Big Brother' authorities in the Netherlands, trying to prevent her from sailing, that she never wants to live there again.

She seems an amazing human being.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 14:42   #17

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I hope she is not the one who sailed around Antarctica and called it sailing around the world. Someone actually did that.

I know a retired submariner whose boat went through the ice at the North Pole. Some of the crew walked around the boat and they called it walking around the world. They also walked so fast that they beat the sun around the world.

As I see it, if one has not sailed at least the circumference of the world (21,639 NM) then they do not hold that claim.
I think the Australian girl who has just done the round antarctica was very focused on just that, she was preparing openly for a "round Antarctica:" trip and was celebrated on her return recently for completing just that. No claim of round the world.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 15:10   #18

Boat: None

When I think of the person I was when I was 14 years old, and try to put that person in her place, well it's just laughable. What she did is stunning, and more so when you realize she planned to do it a year, maybe two, before she did, but was held back by the authorities in the Netherlands. She had support along the way, but the sailing was all her.

I have said that my two favorite sailors are women: Beth Leonard, because she taught me how to sail around the world; and Laura Dekker, because she showed me that I could.

It remains true.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:40   #19

Boat: Island Packet 445

I had the pleasure of meeting Laura over dinner before she gave a presentation to our club last October. She is one of the most engaging people I've ever met. She is humble and mature beyond her years.

This was an incredible accomplishment for anyone, let alone a 14 year old. Her story should be an inspiration to us all - not to rush out to set a record but to reach for your dreams and not let anyone stand in your way.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43   #20

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
It was based on her adventure (and two other solo circumnavigators) that the sailing world stopped acknowledging "youngest" feats of daring-do. They did not want even younger attempts that might end in tragedy...
Sounds wise... but by that logic, they should stop acknowledging every type of record, and every type of race. It always has a potential to end in tragedy, and is basically meaningless anyway.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:24   #21

Boat: Currently Boatless!

I have watched her documentary twice this year; it is quite special. 'Guppy' is up for sale...I am still looking for a boat...what could possibly go wrong!!??

Tags
round the world, sail