Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 19:33   #181
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Last pictures of Primadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
VB, you should change your monicker to California Boy, you'd fit right in with all the other nuts.
Alameda, aye there Red Sky?
Old 14-04-2014, 20:00   #182

Boat: Ohlson 38

[QUOTE=Red Sky;1519122]VB, you should change your monicker to California Boy, you'd fit right in with all the other nuts.[

I would but California is too far to the left for my taste...and they've got too much fruit in with their nuts.

Though I'm thinking "WorldBoy" has a jaunty little ring to it aye?
Old 14-04-2014, 20:05   #183

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

Justice would have had the local citizens stop Primadonna from leaving the anchorage and extracting restitution..forcibly and violently if necessary.
This attitude is the exact opposite of moral abd ethical. You are advocating committing a crime in retaliation for a crime. The last time I checked, the US Constitution forbids that sort of thing. You calling out someone as immoral and unethical because they insist on obeying the law is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. You are advocating vigilante "justice." Throughout history, vigilantes have caused more problems then they've solved. The course you're advocating is the exact opposite of moral.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-04-2014, 20:08   #184

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Alameda, aye there Red Sky?

Salty, I don't get it.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:12   #185

[QUOTE=virginia boy;1519142]
Quote:
VB, you should change your monicker to California Boy, you'd fit right in with all the other nuts.[

I would but California is too far to the left for my taste...and they've got too much fruit in with their nuts.

Though I'm thinking "WorldBoy" has a jaunty little ring to it aye?

VB, "Too much fruit in their nuts", that cracked me up, thanks.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:22   #186

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
This attitude is the exact opposite of moral abd ethical. You are advocating committing a crime in retaliation for a crime. The last time I checked, the US Constitution forbids that sort of thing. You calling out someone as immoral and unethical because they insist on obeying the law is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. You are advocating vigilante "justice." Throughout history, vigilantes have caused more problems then they've solved. The course you're advocating is the exact opposite of moral.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I don't believe that breaking a law is necessarily immoral..and yes, I believe in limited vigilantism.

If I knowingly allowed the Primadonna to abscond with that guy's money, that would be immoral. Breaking the law by stopping them would be the right thing to do. I don't equate unwavering "law abidement" with high morals...just rigidity.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:24   #187
cruiser

Quote:
Salty, I don't get it.
You call VA boy into calfornia to join all the nuts.. you be whacked yersilf that RedSky…kettle be black!
Old 14-04-2014, 20:30   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
You call VA boy into calfornia to join all the nuts.. you be whacked yersilf that RedSky…kettle be black!

Ok, make me feel dumb, I still don't understand. Are you implying I'm one of the nuts? Au contraire, I'm a towering redwood of sanity in an orchard of walnuts.
Old 14-04-2014, 22:03   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
No excuse ever stripping somebody else's boat of gear, parts and pieces.

Moral is what you do when nobody is looking.

A thief will always try to justify, a stupid one will try it in public.

Nuff said.

Absolutely!!
Old 14-04-2014, 23:01   #190

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Over the years, I've salvaged a lot of equipment from wreaked boats, some on coral, some sunk some beached. All of them had no one onboard, most were already somewhat stripped. If this heap was as described by the PO, he should have gotten more !! Why let stuff go to waste that some folks need?? I mean if I had a salvaged starter that ya needed, would ya turn it down if I said I salvaged it from a wreak ?? Just asking cus nobodys ever turned stuff down yet !!
Old 15-04-2014, 04:07   #191

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I don't believe that breaking a law is necessarily immoral..and yes, I believe in limited vigilantism.

If I knowingly allowed the Primadonna to abscond with that guy's money, that would be immoral. Breaking the law by stopping them would be the right thing to do. I don't equate unwavering "law abidement" with high morals...just rigidity.
I can understand your point about stopping Primadonna from leaving as the moral thing to do. But if that applies to us all, isn't there a pretty good chance that somebody with a less developed sense of justice than your own might occasionally get it wrong and create an even greater injustice than the one they are trying to prevent? And then the "moral" thing for the friends of the victims of this injustice to do would be to take action to ensure that their friends injustice was avenged, and so on....
Old 15-04-2014, 05:01   #192
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

The boat was abandoned on the island, so the people of that island have a right to do whatever they like with the rusting eyesore that is fouling their reef and fishing grounds. Would all the legal wannabee's here be okay with it if a storm broke the boat in half and THEN someone picked the surfboard pieces up off the newly littered beach?

By the way, calling all Americans Yanks can be offensive to some of us. Kind of like calling a Scotsman an Englishman. He may be a Brit, but he's definitely not English.

I feel the same way about being called a Yank. Don't expect me to smile at how clever the limey is that says it to me.
Old 15-04-2014, 05:09   #193

Unhappy Re: Last pictures of Primadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Over the years, I've salvaged a lot of equipment from wreaked boats, some on coral, some sunk some beached. All of them had no one onboard, most were already somewhat stripped. If this heap was as described by the PO, he should have gotten more !! Why let stuff go to waste that some folks need?? I mean if I had a salvaged starter that ya needed, would ya turn it down if I said I salvaged it from a wreak ?? Just asking cus nobodys ever turned stuff down yet !!
I hope the cops are reading this blog!
Old 15-04-2014, 05:25   #194

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

[QUOTE=Canibul;1519349]The boat was abandoned on the island, so the people of that island have a right to do whatever they like with the rusting eyesore that is fouling their reef and fishing grounds. Would all the legal wannabee's here be okay with it if a storm broke the boat in half and THEN someone picked the surfboard pieces up off the newly littered beach?

By the way, calling all Americans Yanks can be offensive to some of us. Kind of like calling a Scotsman an Englishman. He may be a Brit, but he's definitely not English.

I feel the same way about being called a Yank. Don't expect me to smile at how clever the limey is that says it to me.[/

Why, if your an American, do you not like the term 'yank'?
I'm not having a go at you in anyway, and I apologize if you have read some of my early posts and they offended u. It has not dawned on me that some persons in the US don't like the term. In my ignorance I thought it was a term of endearment, introduced to Australia, or rather made common by Don Lane. A bit like calling Australians, an Aussie.
Old 15-04-2014, 06:05   #195
cruiser

A "Yank" is an American of the North East persuasion.

Some of us Southerners do not take too kindly to being called this.
Closed Thread