Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2004, 13:58   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: 899$

Quote:
Andy once whispered in the wind:
I have been looking for autopilots on the cheep end, which are recommended as fairly reliable and I found a pretty good deal at West Marine.
Ray Marine Autopilot ST 4000 MKII (for wheel steering boats) Captain Andy
A nice enough pilot, but only recommended by the manufactuerer for short passages 12/24 hours. If the autopilot is going to be used for weeks at a time, then raymarine consider that you need to go to the S1/2/3 series (dependent on boat size), and they are a lot more money (and a lot more robust)
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 11:31   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Alan Wheeler once whispered in the wind:
Thanks Andy, but sorry, this pilot was to run hydraulic steering, not wheel steering.
The Navman, which is a really good unit and what I was dreaming of buying one day, has a RRP of NZ$3500, which is about US$2K'ish. I think you guy's are lucky that you get a pump in that price and the pump is extra in NZ.
The money I lost was NZ$850 which was not quite US$500. Our exchange rate is presently 65 cents to the US dollar. So the ST4000 would be approx $1400 my cost plus freight.
The Autohelm ST6000/7000 system to drive Hydraulic, is closer to NZ$8K buy the time I have everything. So it is too expensive here. For me at least.
\

I would also add, as a former New Yorker, if the price was that much lower than what the value of the product actually is, it's either a) Stolen or b) a fraud. Sorry to hear about your loss. What a shame.

Another tip (althouth it's not going to help you now), is to compare many items on eBay. Look and see what the average going rate is, and then determine what it should be selling for on eBay.

Best of luck, and hopefully, karma will allow you to find something to make up for your loss.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 22:33   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Hey Wheels,
as you may recall, I'm in a position to find all sorts of used merchandise at good prices (known locally as the "king of deals") although the chandlery I work at avoids all electronics passionetly, I can still buy on my own ... will keep an eye out for you. Last autopilot (s) that I bought were an ST4000+ drive unit and a Simrad (nee Navico) 5000 ... paid $50 USD for each ... no promises, because I never know what will come my way ... but will be looking for you anyway.

L S/V Eva Luna
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 23:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Thanks Mate. Actually, something I am on the lookout for. I need Genoa cars and track. Although I imagine the track would cost a heap to get here freight wise, so I am probably best to sort that here.
But I need two cars with blocks on them. They need to suit a 46ft boat and take say a 16mm sheet rope. Have you seen anything?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 08:52   #20

Cars yes ... cars with blocks no. This will break a lot of hearts. After our 4 hurricane season, there are so many damaged & destroyed boats, that they are being scrapped whole ... they don't have the time to strip the salvageable parts off of them, winches, blocks, electronics etc. ... all just being crushed. What a pity!

L S/V Eva Luna

Bob
Old 25-11-2004, 10:27   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now doesn't that make you mad. What a waste. I suppose it supports the industry making new stuff, but... You would think insurance companies would want to redeem some costs now wouldn't you.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 11:25   #22

Wheels,
I'm usually among the first to go for a conspiracy theory .. but not this time ... there just aren't enough people or resources to dispose of these damaged vessels. Talked to a tug boat Captain that has several barge loads of boats to dispose of ... he says they're stackin' up like cordwood ... just no time to strip the usuable bits off of them. Still ... would love to have a day or two to go scrounging!

L S/V Eva Luna

Bob