Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 16:24   #31

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Lake Michigan Seasonal Sailing Considerations?

"I'm on my way to dinner but will point out that you now have two eye witnesses that dispute your web site. I too have been sailing the Virgins for many decades and I was there and know what I saw." InTheDish

Look, Dish,
My intention was not to embarrass you, but rather to give things a different perspective other than that which you and SV Entropia have claimed. However, when one has accumulated many sea miles, he/she has an instinctive sense of what certain wind conditions will produce in definitive wave heights. 15-25 mph winds in the open ocean will never produce 11' or 20-foot seas. The math and reality don't jive. However, when you have not been at sea for thousands of hours in those conditions, it is easy to miscalculate what the ACTUAL conditions are when in the soup. The lesson here is that it is very difficult to estimate wave heights and when in doubt, consider the wisdom of the Beaufort Scale as a ground source which is based on billions of statistics of wave heights and then factor in real sea miles in those conditions. I hope you take these remarks in a positive light and understand that there is no mal-intent on my part, but rather an attempt to get closer to the truth for those who are beginning their journeys on the open ocean and need to be realistic about their proposed itineraries. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 12-10-2017, 17:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDish View Post
Gosh Vald,
I was there and will try to find the proof since you think I was hallucinating. The locals said biggest in seven years. (Must be true if you found it on the innerwebs!)

Dish
I, too, was sailing in the VI’s that week in March—the wind was brutal and seas were huge—we cancelled our trip to Anegada because our skipper said the conditions were too rough — very unusual for that time of year
snootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 17:46   #33

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootie View Post
I, too, was sailing in the VI’s that week in March—the wind was brutal and seas were huge—we cancelled our trip to Anegada because our skipper said the conditions were too rough — very unusual for that time of year

Well,
Now we have 4 adherents to the "20 Foot Seas in 15 mph Wind" Theory and #4 is a first-time poster with no biographical information. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .
Captain Rognvald
Old 12-10-2017, 18:00   #34

Combining my cruising with my parents when I was a kid, and cruising on my own boats, I'm at the 63 year mark for cruising on Lake Michigan.

I live by the lake, and see it every day.

Not buying the 20 foot wave thing.

Oh....back to your question.
Yes, the difference in climate between the southern and northern ends of the lake are noticeable at the times of year you're talking about. Nothing that should give you significant problems.

The north end is certainly the more interesting end. Still, the southern end beats a poke in the eye. I sail out of Muskegon and like it a lot.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 18:15   #35

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Either time, your plan should be simple. Head east to the MI side. Then sail south one trip and north the next. Great ports in either direction. Don't miss South haven where you dock downtown and can walk to shops, bars, restaurants and the local, friendly yacht club.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 18:23   #36

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
Don't miss South haven where you dock downtown and can walk to shops, bars, restaurants and the local, friendly yacht club.
No matter what you do, you have to try potato pancakes at the Taste martini bar in South Haven.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing