Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 21:38   #1

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
Lagoon TPI - interesting.

Does anyone know about this boat? It seems to have been placed in multiple classifieds for sale.

PHOTOS - LAGOON 42 - San marlot

Catamaran Lagoon 42 TPI !San Marlot

Looks nice!
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:28   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Cant tell you how many boats for sale "look" nice in pictures,,,,then turned out to be nightmares....looked at another same year TPI on yw purported to be nice excellent etc, I would maybe have payed half to 2/3 of what they asked as ot had tons of problems.and the pics had to of been 10 years old, they didnt show the mold, sagging interior everywhere, waterlogged mattresses, soft decks, etc.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40   #3

Re: Lagoon TPI - interesting.

This one is owned and offered by the Veterans Association in Seattle, looks like they put $60k into up-grades in the last couple of years.

Question: Is $160K a good price for a 20 year old Lagoon 42? Are these good boats?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57   #4

I believe that may be my old Lagoon 42. They are superb boats. I have to run right now but PM me. If it is still as nice as the pics look I think it's a bargain.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:19   #5

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version

As Dulcesuenos says, be wary of OLD pictures. At least one of these photos is from 2007. Check out this site from a previous owner of "Web of Lies" (name might be apocryphal). Lagoon 42 catamaran for sale Lagoon 42 TPI

These Lagoons were built by TPI in the US and are very well made. Haven't sailed one in years, they were in the Moorings fleet for a while, they were and are a strong and fast cat. This one is an Owners version which is pretty rare. Galley down like all most all her peers of that time and only two heads, gives you something to work with. A survey will tell the tale.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 15:03   #6

This boat is an enigma. I have run the hull number and is has been in Jupiter FL its entire life. The pictures are from a different web site, for a boat called Web of Lies. I do not know if it is a scam or if the pictures are from a sister ship and not clearly marked as such. I have asked for new time stamped pictures for two weeks with no results. I have asked for hte name of a local surveyor (the boat is supposedly in Belize) and again, got no help. You'd think if someone was looking to sell thier boat, such interest would elicit a big response, don't you?
ODayGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 16:04   #7

Judi, I looked at the website for Web of Lies (sold) and am pretty sure it is/was my boat. Too many things are identical... workshop forward with the red vise, cutom bow roller I added, same B&G instruments, and 4 fuel tanks (i added two of them, rwo are stock). as well as what's mentioned above.
and yes... the San Marlot site seems to have stolen some of the pics from the Web of Lies site!

Old 27-01-2014, 17:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
This one is owned and offered by the Veterans Association in Seattle, looks like they put $60k into up-grades in the last couple of years.

Question: Is $160K a good price for a 20 year old Lagoon 42? Are these good boats?
Just curious what makes you say that it "looks like" they put 60K into upgrades. Was that what they told you in phone conversation or via email? That was the case with me...
Old 27-01-2014, 17:54   #9

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
...Question: Is $160K a good price for a 20 year old Lagoon 42? Are these good boats?
Answer: Given the multihull market, it is probably a decent price.

Of course members here have already weighed in with some good advice, but some questions you have to find out include:

What shape is it really in?
Are you willing to pay for a survey to make sure?
Will you be financing it, and how much? See below:

Just took a quick look at the NADA and BUC values (which many lending institutions use). They have the value with basic equipment at about $100k. That doesn't mean it isn't worth $160k in the multihull market, only that you may have trouble securing financing for a large portion of that $160k.

If it is documented, you can find the real owner through the USCG vessel search program by looking up the vessel name or documentation number.

Good luck.

Marshall
Old 30-01-2014, 17:21   #10

I've done all that. The boat exists but not as shown in its advertising. No idea why. Go ahead and ask, I asked a week ago, still no answer...
Old 20-12-2014, 13:04   #11

Looks like this Cat is still for sale, has anyone seen her? (A lot cheaper now as well I see).

Catamaran Lagoon 42 TPI Nice!!!
Old 20-12-2014, 13:23   #12

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

This is the same TPI with the wáter tanks in the keels??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 14:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
This is the same TPI with the wáter tanks in the keels??
Yes, mine did....

Old 20-12-2014, 14:59   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I was in Cancun back in March and tried to book a time to look at her. The owner was not very accommodating at all. Seemed like they really didn't want to sell it. In the end I gave up and moved on..

Maybe something has changed..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 17:43   #15

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

If I was casually looking, I would have probably been scared off by what I have read in this thread so far.

If I was really serious, I would:

-Verify the ownership through the USCG Documentation check. I would ask forum member Cheechako (above) if he still knows the USCG Documentation # and try to determine the current ownership. If that appears legit, I would:
-Insist the boat be brought to Florida (they have been sitting on it long enough--if they are legit owners and REALLY want to sell, they might accommodate this request. Offer to pay a slightly higher price to offset transport costs if I do decide to buy--that also might help to determine the legitimacy of the advertisement)
-Contact a surveyor to meet me in Florida right after Christmas for a cursory inspection above the waterline, with the possibility of a full survey
-Contact a marina near the boat to schedule a potential short haul and survey
-Book a flight to Florida to see the boat and go over the cursory inspection with the surveyor. If it looks good have the short haul and survey.

I don't know what the going rate is in Florida, but at $2 to $2.50/ft $800-$1000 would a relatively inexpensive way (compared to the purchase price) to assure the quality of the boat, and would be necessary for financing anyway.

There is little negative I can find written about the Lagoon 42. At that price, if it is truly your dream, it might be worth a little effort and money to go for it. Or it could just remain a dream.

I paid for three surveys before I bought my boat.

Marshall

Tags
lagoon