Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35   #16

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Its easier than you think, and you're not kidding yourself..
In 1998 I was training for an ultra marathon cycling event, (RAAM) and went down going around a corner and messing up both wrists and my ancle.. on the way home from the doctor, I bought a 22 foot sailboat.
2 weeks later I competed in my first race and placed 3rd, I was hooked.. 3 months after that came a bigger boat and my first off-shore event, took a first in the singlehanded class..
In 2002, just 4 years after first stepping on a sailboat, we sold the house and property and moved aboard a Beneteau FIRST42 and have been cruising the west coast between Alaska and Mexico for almost 7 years now..
The reason for bringing this up was to show you that not only is it easy, but its very possible. All you have to do is step off the dock, let the wind do the rest..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Sailing a sunfish uses a ail but it's not the same thing as a keel boat. .
Right -- dinghy sailing is much more challenging, in terms of sail trim and general seamanship. The other great thing about dinghys is there's no motor -- so you have to get yourself from point A to point B under sail, no matter what. If you achieved any proficiency in the sunfish, then a keelboat will be a snap.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote