Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2013, 07:24   #421
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If Dave (goboatingnow), with his limited experience is qualified to sail his boat, there's no doubt the 13 year old who has successfully sailed around the world had sufficient experience and skill to do it.
its all true, in reality I am a middle aged mom in Montana with greying hair and an expanding middle.

ps as a statement of teh obvious

'here's no doubt the 13 year old who has successfully sailed around the world "

"had sufficient experience and skill to do it"

its a good one.

dave
Old 20-08-2013, 14:42   #422
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

its all true, in reality I am a middle aged mom in Montana with greying hair and an expanding middle.

Hmmmm---- please post photos in the "crew available" section.

For those who had questions about the hallucinations, a non-clinical test of endurance racers found that there was a 100% correlation between sugary and/or highly processed foods and hallucinations. To a man everyone who had them, that stopped eating processed foods stopped having them. At least one or two guys went weeks without them, ate some Dinty Moore stew and had one 12-14 hours later. Garbage in-Garbage Out applies to computer programs and humans. While not a double blind test, there is enough evidence to support the conclusion.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 04:18   #423
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Greetings from not so sunny U.K. this morning. I love threads like this. For an observer, it certainly is entertaining to see the personalities involved. For the record, Im English, worked abroad in the medical field for the last 25 years, Australia, Europe and 12 years in the USA. As of now Im back and forth to Spain and Italy teaching.

My background in sailing is mainly inland waters and coastal. Had a Seawych 19 and an Eventide 24 (in U.K.) plus assortment of USA offshore power cruisers (up to 45 foot) mainly used for Gulf fishing in Florida. Not what I would call extensive experience compared to you guys, but would be out there 3 or 4 days a week sometimes overnighting. The Gulf can blow up nasty as you are aware.

The one thing I note is that my 'response' to posts is very English. We as a race tend to veer towards understatement, sarcasm, humour and self or other deprecation. We as a race, are not averse to calling B.S. and dont suffer fools gladly, and at the same time we, in the main, couch it in a relatively polite manner but dripping in sarcasm for those that can read between the lines.

I have experienced the rigidness of the USA system of absolutes, as well as in some European countries, and have tried to adapt to their rules, their ways, but in the end, we are who we are and that will always be there.

All the experienced posters writing on this forum, are still alive. They achieved that by applying methods that culture, study and common sense made it so. However, other sailors did it differently and are still alive. That tells me that in the main... a lot of different techniques work. Some maybe better than others, some not as well.

Now I like the style of Boatman, his writing style and oulook on life make me laugh. But more than this, I am sure his competence as a skipper and sailor is far above the norm. His concern for the vessel and safety is imbedded so deep that it is instinctive to do the right thing at all times from training and experience. I also note some of the more 'rigid' and dogmatic skippers have equal amounts of experience and competence, but express it through ways in which it suits them to get things done, for them.

All of us want to be safe. All of us are concerned for the wellbeing of crew, vessel and others, not to mention ourselves. We have different backgrounds, some military, some laid back travelers and some just who we are.

The basic reason with a set of laws is of attribution of blame in the event of something going wrong. If blame is attached for an incident involving an unattended watch, then REGARDLESS of the reason for it not being observed, the law stands. Each skipper has to determine how to avoid consequences on his or her vessel.

Safety is paramount. Each skipper has to live with their conscience if an event happens out of his or her control. Some tighten up routine, some impose harsh rules of operation, some do this some do that. Some boat rules seem opposite to what we would do but hey, its their boat... either sail on it with knowledge of their ways or.......... dont.

I sail alone for the most part because if I want to get somewhere, Im not committed to returning at a set time. I dont always end up where Im going. I have never done a trip more than 150 miles solo, and in a motor vessel this can be done quickly, and if in a sailing vessel, Im used to staying up 24 hours or more at a stretch. I can power nap for 30 mins in 12 hours for days then need to sleep for 4 hours to recharge. Others do not have my background training or experience and I do not expect them to do what I do. My instincts on a vessel is to always be on the deck if alone. If I need to whizz... I whizz over the side, If number two is brewing, I make sure Im ready to part with it and start to finish its done in 5 minutes in the head.

If Im crewing, and I know the skipper and he knows me, he is aware of my self protectionist attitude and reluctance to hit a moving vessel or be hit by one. He sleeps easy and so do I.

As far as lights go... if I need to read a chart, I have a red light.. If I dont have a red one, I have a low powered white one. I gave up trying to read in the dark years ago. I also have a pair of those enclosed dark sunglasses so popular with older folk.. I put them on if have to go below for a dump or to boil water. Even in cabin light, it negates night blindness by just allowing you to see and no more. And that is the point of light, to stop you pouring boiling water over your legs instead of the mug and to place your posterior where the heads opening is..

Skipper is the boss. Hopefully not an ego maniac or have an arrogant persona. We have to decide what we are capable of and capable of putting up with, and if his or her estimation of our talents differ, then we need to find another berth. Im not as experienced as many of you and will bow to and bend to your knowledge. I have mild difficulties when that knowledge is couched in absolutes and personal preferences which are dictatorial in nature. No need to elaborate, we all know people like this.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experience and knowledge so freely, with your quirks and personalites and differences. I have learned so very much.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 05:01   #424
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, weavis.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 05:28   #425
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, weavis.
Thank you for the kind welcome
Old 21-03-2014, 06:17   #426

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Boaty's Ok and knows whereof he speaks - the rest of us are full of sheeeet.

But we usually get into port alive anyway

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:25   #427
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Boaty's Ok and knows whereof he speaks - the rest of us are full of sheeeet.

But we usually get into port alive anyway
He makes me laugh simply because of the humour I grew up with. I have worked with superb experts in their respective fields, (surgery, Flying, Boating etc) and love it when the problems/dangers/ experience are understated but handled with amazing skill. Its a cultural thing. Im sure at some things he can be a pain too.. but it probably would still make me laugh..
Old 21-03-2014, 07:20   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
He makes me laugh simply because of the humour I grew up with. I have worked with superb experts in their respective fields, (surgery, Flying, Boating etc) and love it when the problems/dangers/ experience are understated but handled with amazing skill. Its a cultural thing. Im sure at some things he can be a pain too.. but it probably would still make me laugh..
I think you mean 'humor', right?

Boatie makes all of us laugh, so it's probably our shared culture in spite of the language differences...
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 07:32   #429
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I think you mean 'humor', right?

"Humour" is spelled "humour" except in a small country where they screwed the English language right up and spell stuff "interestingly".

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 07:35   #430
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes. the abilty to enforce proper comprehension and spelling when countries objected to British Rule was sadly lost. Perhaps one of two of the requirements on the locals were deemed to be a bit harsh and sadly they got hot and bothered and asked the Brits to leave. Never understood that.... Spelling and grammar is the quintessence of a modern civilisation and it hurts every English person to the quick to see it so abused... those that dont think Chick-fil-A is correctly spelled that is.
Old 21-03-2014, 08:02   #431

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

yes, it is unfortunate that the individuals from that insignificant () country, have lost all honour with their colourless attempts at humour. Indeed they frequently carry spare tyres in their trunks (how odd) instead of their boot, where they rightly belong.

They don't step outside to have a fag,and apparently don't know what a salon car is.

Backwards place

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:17   #432

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
----

They don't step outside to have a fag,and apparently don't know what a salon car is.
----
Shouldn't that be saloon car?
Of course what do I know, being from a country where they don't speak proper English.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:42   #433

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Shouldn't that be saloon car?
Of course what do I know, being from a country where they don't speak proper English.
And don't step outside with fags.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 09:56   #434
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I only accept crticism personally on the understanding that it will be proven the fault is not really mine. It is just a matter of timing before the issue is cleared up.

As for remonstrating with others regarding fags and salon/saloon cars..........

on reflection of all the available evidence, and as an aside... I believe someone is going to take one for the team.

The good ship Britain sails on, less one crew member. ce'st le vie... whatever that means.

Our brief encounter on the high seas was short carstenb. Your colleagues ambushed you over a trifling mishap with words........ So very sad to see, and thank you for taking it like a mensch. We will think of your fate often over cocktails..
Old 21-03-2014, 10:10   #435
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Im thinking Im going to love these forums.